Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suppressors and the .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    Glad you found one you like. Be warned not to run it hot. Titanium is light but weakens with heat. So no quick mag dumps, bump fires, full auto, etc. I have a Ti can and love it for my bolt/hunting guns but it doesn't see much over 5-10 rounds in a row. Ti looses strength around 750 degrees I believe.
    I guess that's why the afterburner nozzles on F4's were made out of titanium................
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    That little c behind the 600 stands for Centigrade not Fahrenheit......600 degrees Centigrade = 1112 degrees Fahrenheit. 30 years in the Hi Temp Steel industry
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy
    I know what the little c is. I also know how hot they get after running them. One full auto mag dump on a 90 degree got a titanium can to 719 degrees. Most manufacturers rate them at semi, limited full auto for a reason. Glad you made it that long. Remember guys, do your own research there's a lot of experts out there.

Boolit Master
    Here's the reason..............

The natural properties of titanium allow for a superior strength to weight ratio compared to steel. It will also cool faster than steel and has a higher melting temperature. However, it's tolerance for heat also causes problems when used in suppressors. While the suppressor itself can operate just fine at very high temperatures, projectiles passing through it will not. Lead and jacketed bullets have the potential to fragment at such temperatures which can increase the possibility of baffle strikes. Therefore, most manufacturers suggest allowing titanium suppressors to cool after automatic fire or very quick semi-automatic fire.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, those are some things to watch for as well as increased erosion due to high temps. Also I personally would not want to run one that hot. You could get close to it's failure rate within another mag or two if you're already over 700.

A good read about suppressors for those that want to read it.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=573

Boolit Master
    You'll be glad you went with titanium once you screw it on the end of your rifle, will take some getting used to as the balance point of your rifle moves very much towards the muzzle. You should never wear out a titanium can on a bolt rifle...

Banned

also look at what the can your buying is rated for. example is some 223 rifle cans aren't rated for barrels shorter then 11 inch and some 30 cal cans aren't magnum rated. Some cans aren't full auto rated.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    Glad you found one you like. Be warned not to run it hot. Titanium is light but weakens with heat. So no quick mag dumps, bump fires, full auto, etc. I have a Ti can and love it for my bolt/hunting guns but it doesn't see much over 5-10 rounds in a row. Ti looses strength around 750 degrees I believe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123