WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: How much velocity?

Boolit Buddy

How much velocity?

...do I need out of my .357 Magnum Ruger carbine for short range (150 yards maximum) deer hunting? My goal is/was to match the factory load of 158 grain jacketed bullets which chronograph @ around 1770 fps, which probably means a gascheck boolit. Is there a threshold velocity that most agree on provided shot placement is precise? Maybe use something like the Lee 358-158 RF or similar @ 1400 - 1500 fps ?

Boolit Master

1200 to 1600 FPS shout be easily obtained with a carbine. As long as you have the energy at the range you are shooting for it will get the job done. When you chrono the load it will tell you the muzzle energy and you put that into an excel and see what the energy is at different ranges.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    13.5 gr of 2400 with a 165 gr gas checked swc gives 1550 fps in my win trapper and is very accurate.

Over 1400 fps I always use a gas check.

That being said I suspect a round at 1200 fps that hits the right spot is just as lethal as one moving some 4-500 fps faster.

Vendor Sponsor
    How much velocity do you NEED? 30,000,000 bison were killed with cast bullets moving about 1250 fps. Comparing a 45-70 to a 357 magnum is akin to comparing bison to whitetail deer. Have fun. For me, I would co6nsider a boolit heavier than 158 in a carbine. Maybe 180ish. Less muzzle velocity, but better down range performance. Why limit yourself to a pistol boolit in a carbine?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    For me, I would co6nsider a boolit heavier than 158 in a carbine. Maybe 180ish. Less muzzle velocity, but better down range performance. Why limit yourself to a pistol boolit in a carbine?
    I bought a batch of Cast Performance 187 grain WFN gas check boolits. Then I found out there was little loading data for them that I would consider safe, that is, with published pressure data. I will probably have to buy one of the Accurate powders (Accurate publishes pressure data for them) to shoot them and haven't had a chance to locate any yet. My local gun store went out of business pretty suddenly one weekend a month or so ago.

I've only shot one deer with the rifle, using PMC factory ammunition (158 grain SP which chronographed @ about 1650 fps) which worked just as it was supposed to. I figured approximating factory loads (from a velocity standpoint) would keep me in safe pressure territory. I have no problem going to less velocity; just wondered if there's kind of an accepted lower velocity threshold, like "don't go under 1000 fps". Most things that work for everyone else work for me too.

Vendor Sponsor
    Maybe others will chime in on this post with some loads for your 187 gr boolits. I find the beauty of cast is that it allows you to use heavier boolits than might be practical with jacketed bullets without immediate pressure problems. Given the extra barrel length and the closed breech I would lean towards slower powders like 2400 or H110/296 maybe even 4227. Going out on a limb here, but starting loads with any of these slower powders and a 158 gr jacketed could be a starting point for a heavier cast boolit, maybe less 10% and work up. Pressure builds faster starting a jacketed bullet from a dead stop than it does for a cast boolit. If no one chimes in with a good starting load for you on this thread go ahead and start another thread with that request in the title. Someone will be eager to help you with this. There is no shortage of knowledge here on most any cast boolit question. Be specific and start as many threads as you like to get the answers you need.

Boolit Master
    150 yards is not short range for a 357 carbine, but it can be done. There is a former member here who killed a buck (quick kill) at around 240 yards with a 180-190 grain wfn out of a 357 maximum. So, the potential is there. I use that same bullet in my Rossi 357 mag at 1800 fps. There's plenty of energy there at 150 yards for a quick enough kill if the shot is placed correctly, and maybe not too hard of an alloy.

I would say you want at least 1600 fps muzzle with a 160-190 grain cast bullet to do what you want to do. But getting closer to 1800 fps is going to give you a little more energy/expansion at 150 yards. Lilgun or H110/WW296 will get you there. I use Lilgun.