RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coating 300 Blackout - NOE 247gr Hollow Point issue

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NATJAC View Post
    Good to know about the Smoke's clear, can you use it to shake and bake?
    Sorry, missed your question. All of smokes colors will shake and bake except flat black. It is actually one of the easiest to use all around, I add his clear to other colors or older powders to improve coverage so I can use them up.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Late to this by a day or three.... I have had the same issue using several of my good quality PC. Not HF junk. Tumbled, nothing but the bullets. Thick. I've had issue with some of my 9mm also. I used some clear overcoat from same company, and it works fine. BTW, if someone tells you another color goes thin, then use it. otherwise, I have gone to clear or just std lube. With std lube, I've seen no leading. I have gone to CFE Blackout powder and have shot several with a deeper seating that has thicker coats. I'm not suggesting, but just telling..... YMMV!

Nose sizing loaded rounds will probably end up seating the boolit deeper and messing up any crimp.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    XDMalder, you had mentioned "Another choice you have is to purchase their 247 mold intended for PCing. The nose is at 0.298"
    Do you know the part number on this? i've browsed NOE's website and could not find it.

Boolit Bub
    ok all, I finally received my Lee bullet sizer die @ .300". I ground down the die about .5" so I could the bullet up far enough into the sizer die that the complete nose would resize without hitting the crimp. I used Lee's LUBE and inserted a loaded round in a shell holder. I ran the loaded round into the sizer die and used the ram to pull the bullet out of the sizer die. Works pretty good! It does INCREASE the length by about .002" but the crimp and neck tension seem to be in good shape. I'm going to get out to the range one of these days to see if I get leading or decreased accuracy and to check functionality.
    One thing to note: As I was pushing the bullet into the sizer die, I would have to work it in, meaning that I would go in a little, pull out, go in a little more, pull out, then go the full distance.. just to be careful. If I simply rammed it all the way in it would be too rough pulling it out and the OAL would increase more that the .002

Seating can also bulge the ogive if a soft alloy. Hope the Lee trick works for you.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    I looked at some unloaded boolits and they were about the same.. the bulge is more towards the nose, further up and away from the ogive.
    Shot around 50 rounds of the resized noses, they worked great, MUCH better feeding and I can actually extract loaded rounds (before, I would have to use the mortar method to extract!! the only negatives is that it is very time consuming and my FPS has dropped from 1050 fps to 900 fps.. not a huge deal.. still getting expansion at 200 yards with a bhn of ~10 bhn. I must say I am very satisfied.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NATJAC View Post
    Hey Rancher1913, thanks for the reply!
    I have purchased some of the Missouri Bullet 247gr coated bullets and they are around .300" at the ogive. Mine are about .303ish. I only powder coat them one time. I currently do not have any uncoated bullets to check out at this point. What diameter should my ogive be?
    Missouri Bullets are HiTec coated, not powder coated. HiTec goes on thinner than most powder coating powders do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12