RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating 300 Blackout - NOE 247gr Hollow Point issue

Boolit Bub

Powder Coating 300 Blackout - NOE 247gr Hollow Point issue

HI,
    Hopefully someone can help me with this:
    I am having a problem with my resizing on 30 cal Hollow Points, 247 grain subsonics.. for the 300 blackout. (from NOE boolit molds). I resize the boolits down to match the barrel but the problem I'm having is the powder coating is increasing the diameter of the OGIVE. The ogive is getting jammed into the lands and causing failure to feed and the only way to eject the unfired round is to mortar the rifle. I cannot reduce the OAL any more so my question is; is there a way to reduce the the diameter of the ogive (such as a .300 sizer die in which I can run the bullet half way up in then back it out)? right now I have been using my fingers to smooth out and wipe of most of the powder coating powder from the ogive prior to baking them but this is very tedious and only minimizes the problem.

Boolit Master

you have something going on besides the powdercoating, it only increases the diameter by a fraction unless you coat them several times.

Boolit Man
    There are some powders that go on really heavy, especially the ones designed to look like shiny metal. I have a couple powders that look awesome but when shaken on make the boolit unsizably large in just one coat.

Boolit Bub
    Hey Rancher1913, thanks for the reply!
    I have purchased some of the Missouri Bullet 247gr coated bullets and they are around .300" at the ogive. Mine are about .303ish. I only powder coat them one time. I currently do not have any uncoated bullets to check out at this point. What diameter should my ogive be?

Banned
    Different powders/colors add different diameters to boolits.

what powder are you using?
    are you knocking off ALL the excess powder?
    the boolit NOE 311-247-FN HP?

You could throat the barrel
    You could get a different barrel
    try 311-230-FN has a smaller nose and no HP
    find a thinner PC
    use HiTek coating instead of PC,(HiTek adds less diameter to the boolit)

NOE has a nose sizer but that's allot of work if you are shooting alot through a semi. I'd try a different PC first.
    DRS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NATJAC View Post
    Hey Rancher1913, thanks for the reply!
    What diameter should my ogive be?
    The only one that can answer that is your barrel
    You would need to either pound cast or Cerrosafe the chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe you need nose numbers like this
    http://arsenalmolds.com/products/.308-CAST-BULLET

Boolit Bub
    I cast, pc'd and loaded a couple of thousand rounds, I didn't know I had a problem because they worked fine in one barrel but when I bought a 2nd and 3rd barrel they started to give me problems.. I noticed that the ogive measures .303 when it should be .300. I was thinking a simple solution, if possible, would be a nose sizing die. I just found this post that I'll read through: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-NOE-311-247

Boolit Buddy
    I have nose sized 30 cal bullets and 7mm too. It's easy with a in and out sizer like a Lyman 450 or RCBS sizer. It was needed to get them to chamber where I wanted them.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Bub
    I will definitely try different powder coating material.. Since i've loaded up several rounds already, i'm thinking of a quick fix solution: I know you can special order Lee bullet sizer dies, i'm thinking of getting a .300 size, adjust it on my press so I can take the loaded rounds (on a full stroke of the press handle) and just run the nose in the sizer die. With the powder coat the bullets should take less than 20 lbs of pressure to get them to go into the sizer and then I'll simply use the press to pull the bullets back out of the sizer (instead of pushing them completely through the sizer) I will have to adjust the press so the brass case does not touch the sizer at all. Let me know if I'm overlooking anything.. the only thing I can think of is that if it takes more that 20 lbs of pressure it will affect the OAL of the bullet.

Boolit Bub
    N.H.Shmidt: were those loaded rounds? (oops, never mind, I just looked those products up and now I see how they work)
    Last edited by NATJAC; 03-18-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master

No help wit the already loaded ones, but Smoke's clear is the thinnest and slickest I have used. Goes on white like powdered sugar and cures Crystal clear. Also you can lightly blow excess powder off after they are stood up.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

2 options that I have used, 1 nose sizing with the NOE nose sizers or 2 I have found using Franklin Arsenal drop out reduces the diameter just enough to alleviate the issue. I've honestly not had good luck with the first method but the second works well for me.

Boolit Bub
    Good to know about the Smoke's clear, can you use it to shake and bake?

Banned

ive been using smokes brown and it only increases bullet size by .001 I can hardly tell when sizing.

This is what i did to finally get mine to chamber. I used NOE's nose sizing system with the 0.300 bushing. They are not tapered so used a VLD brass chamfer on the bushing. If you dont you will peel lead and PC off. I use a heavy lube on the nose of the bullet to assist or PC will still scrape off. After that i size to 0.309. 0.310 would not chamber for me. After doing all this i could then crimp at the crimp groove. Another choice you have is to purchase their 247 mold intended for PCing. The nose is at 0.298

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    2 options that I have used, 1 nose sizing with the NOE nose sizers or 2 I have found using Franklin Arsenal drop out reduces the diameter just enough to alleviate the issue. I've honestly not had good luck with the first method but the second works well for me.
    Are able to get the DropOut on just the nose or are you doing the entire cavity? And how do you keep the DropOut off the block so it doesnt beagle?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    Are able to get the DropOut on just the nose or are you doing the entire cavity? And how do you keep the DropOut off the block so it doesnt beagle?
    I generally do the entire cavity. I've not had a problem with it beagling the mold. If it were a problem removing the coating on the mating surface is easy with a solvent.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all for your replies! I think I'm going to try a .300 Lee bullet sizer to see how it works. I'm going to try to take my loaded rounds and only run the nose into the die and pull it back out. One issue that I found is that I will have to grind off about 1/2" of the bottom of the sizer die because it chokes about .6" from the bottom of the die. My only concern is that it will effect the OAL of the bullet in my attempts to push in, and pull out of the sizer die. I'm figuring if I can keep it under 20 pounds of pressure it should not have any effect on the OAL. The nice thing about pulling the bullet back out is that I can always use a punch from the top end to assist and the hollow points will nicely center the punch. With the powder coating and a little case lube I think, in theory, that dropping down .002-.003" won't be too rough. I'll keep you all posted on my results!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast