Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersPBcastco
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: The teaching

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

The teaching

Our Lord the son of GOD Jesus Christ came to teach by example , to teach by witness of the miracles given through him by the father . His word is the truth of the living GOD that gave his son as sacrifice to pay the debit of our sins that we be given eternal life by grace through faith .

The life of Christ is our guide , his words are our truth and his love our goal .

Luke 2

And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. 2 This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. 3 So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city.
    4 Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, 5 to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. 6 So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. 7 And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.
    Glory in the Highest
    8 Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. 10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. 11 For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
    13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:
    “Glory to God in the highest,
    And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!
    15 So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, “Let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us.” 16 And they came with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger. 17 Now when they had seen Him, they made widely known the saying which was told them concerning this Child. 18 And all those who heard it marveled at those things which were told them by the shepherds. 19 But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told them.

And it began . Emanuel.. GOD with us , come to establish a new covenant . To offer salvation to all .

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
    And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

“Glory to God in the highest,
    And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!
    Last edited by Boaz; 03-18-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

We next hear of Jesus in Luke 2 .

His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 48 So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”
    49 And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.
    Jesus Advances in Wisdom and Favor
    51 Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God

He said to his parents ;

And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.

We will not hear of Jesus for roughly 18 years . Jesus began preaching when he was about 30 years old , it would be amazing to know what went on in his life during that time but it is obviously not meant for us to know . It is assumed he learned his father's trade which is most thought to be a carpenter . However our bible originally translated from Greek called Joseph a Teckton which meant builder so he might have been a stone mason or anything connected with 'building' .

But I'll add these two lines of verse .

Matthew 13;55
    Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these parables, that He departed from there. 54 When He had come to His own country, He taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished and said, “Where did this Man get this wisdom and these mighty works? 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? 56 And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?” 57 So they were offended at Him.
    But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.” 58 Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

You see in the scripture above that Jesus is described as the son of a carpenter .

Is this not the carpenter’s son?

Mark 6;1-6
    Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands! 3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.
    4 But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.” 5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.

Jesus is called a carpenter in his home town .

3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon?
    Last edited by Boaz; 03-20-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Well heck lets take a break and look at some of the enemies of Jesus Christ that work against him .Though Jesus was a practicing Jew he taught a whole new way . He celebrated the Jewish holidays and preached in the synagogues . He was seldom called Jesus , more he was called rabbi or teacher which was in the day giving respect . His enemies tended to 'refer' to him as the Nazarene in only recognizing where he had come from refusing to respect him .

In the new testament scripture you will see the Pharisees mentioned the most but they all plotted and tested Jesus ....never succeeding as in this scripture . John 8;2-11

Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.
    7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”
    11 She said, “No one, Lord.”
    And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

Here is a list of his main enemies ;

1. Pharisees: Regarding religion, they belonged to the orthodox school. They, mostly intellectuals, included teachers of the law, scribes and other upper-class members (Lk 11:52). They were the most prestigious group in Jesus’ time. They accepted the Old Testament doctrines, rigidly adhering to the Mosaic law and emphasised outward courtesy. Most were self-righteous and proud. They were hypocrites, whose deeds contradicted their words. They were scheming. So, Jesus often reproached them.

2. Sadducees (conservative faction): This party was made up of the high priest and his associates (Acts 5:17). Their doctrines were opposite to those of the Pharisees. They only believed in the Pentateuch and the writings in the book of law. They did not believe in the eternity of the soul, resurrection from the dead, angels or demons nor future retribution (Mk 12:18; Acts 23:8). They opposed Jesus’ stance and plotted against His life. They were more vicious than the Pharisees.

3. Herodians (royal faction): A political party – when Judah became a vassal state of Rome, Herod became king. He was originally an Israelite who was converted to the Jewish religion and was circumcised. Therefore, he was also called a Jew. The Jews, seeking political freedom and independence, hoped their support for Herod would help them expand their power. Thus, the Herodian party was formed (Mt 22:16). In Jesus’ time, Herod was the Galilean king (Lk 23:6-7).

4. Zealots (over-radical faction): They firmly believed in the Mosaic law. They were determined to restore their country, relying on nationality and religion to arouse the Jews’ revolutionary consciousness – advocating that the Jews were God’s chosen people. They maintained that the Jews must conform to God’s rule and advocated the use of force in dealing with the Romans. Simon, one of Jesus’ twelve disciples, was a zealot (Mt 10:4). It is said that the turmoil in the Jewish nation during 66-70 A. D. had been caused by the zealots.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, the word in Hebrew and Aramaic means 'builder'. Given that a Roman city was being rebuilt within a couple miles of Nazareth, and the Romans built with stone, it is equally likely that he was a stone mason in our parlence. When the KJV was being translated, carpentry was the the most common way to build. Thus we have the enduring translation 'carpenter'.

Of course it is equally likely that He was a carpenter because the internal structure and the furniture were all made of wood. I kind of like the idea of him growing up with stone dust in his hair and pieces of stone in his clothing. Not nearly as clean as carpentry.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I don't want anyone to think I am teaching ...I can't teach . The title of this thread refers to Jesus and his teaching . He taught until he died , he asked for mercy from his father for those that were killing him . His life was devoted to teaching us and dying in our place to pay for OUR sins .

There were also two others, criminals, led with Him to be put to death. 33 And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. 34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
    And they divided His garments and cast lots. 35 And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God.”
    36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming and offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself.”
    38 And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew
    THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”
    40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
    43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

The disciples .
    Lets read the first chapter of the book of John . I always enjoyed it for many reasons , it has John the Baptist and Jesus together in the same location . Jesus is going to start gathering his disciples , you can see GOD's work in this chapter coming together . I love to read John the Baptist proclaiming who Jesus is , The disciple John describes John the Baptist speaks much of the light we all seek .

John 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
    John’s Witness: The True Light
    6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.
    10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
    The Word Becomes Flesh
    14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
    15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”
    16 And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son,[f] who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
    A Voice in the Wilderness
    19 Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”
    20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.”
    21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?”
    He said, “I am not.”
    “Are you the Prophet?”
    And he answered, “No.”
    22 Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?”
    23 He said: “I am
    ‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
    “Make straight the way of the Lord
    as the prophet Isaiah said.”
    24 Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees. 25 And they asked him, saying, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”
    26 John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know. 27 It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose.”
    28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
    The Lamb of God
    29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.’ 31 I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.”
    32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”
    The First Disciples
    35 Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples. 36 And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, “Behold the Lamb of God!”
    37 The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. 38 Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, “What do you seek?”
    They said to Him, “Rabbi” (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), “where are You staying?”
    39 He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where He was staying, and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour).
    40 One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus.
    Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah.[i] You shall be called Cephas” (which is translated, A Stone).
    Philip and Nathanael
    43 The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, “Follow Me.” 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
    46 And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”
    Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
    47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!”
    48 Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?”
    Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”
    49 Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!”
    50 Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” 51 And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”
    Last edited by Boaz; 03-20-2018 at 07:21 PM.

If you reread verse 50 you see the promise that these men will be given to witness many wonders of GOD the father . They do not know or understand the depth of knowledge they will be given and the power to use it . They are being prepared to spread the gospel of a new beginning . Jesus himself will teach them , he will show them wonders they have never seen and he will also let them fail at times to strengthen them . So Jesus teaches , always teaching by word , by acts , by faith in his father .

50 Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” 51 And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”

Four fishermen are called .

Matthew 4;18-22

And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. 19 Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
    21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets. He called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.

You might note they all 'immediately' followed him .

Matthew follows .

Matthew is thought to have been more formally educated . His writings and chronicling of events are precise , he paid attention to detail . Matthew was not poor , he being a tax collector lived a good life but still followed . The gathering mentioned in this verse , Matthew took Jesus and the disciples to his home and invited guests . The Pharisees that came started trouble baiting Jesus . Matthew left with Jesus the next morning .

Matthew 4;9-13

9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
    10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
    12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice. For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.

More disciples were added but we don't know the story of them being selected . They lived and traveled with Jesus for approximately three years . Their stories are intertwined around the life of our savior who gave living example of his teaching . many times they failed in the learning .

Matthew 14;22-32
    Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. 24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary.
    25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear.
    27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”
    28 And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
    29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
    31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
    33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.

Peter makes a mistake so Jesus rebuffs him gently and lets him experience a miracle personally.
    Matthew 17;24-27
    When they had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, “Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?”
    25 He said, “Yes.”
    And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?”
    26 Peter said to Him, “From strangers.”
    Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. 27 Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you.”

Jesus gets a little aggravated at all the disciples at their failure . Again he teaches .
    Matthew 17;14-21
    And when they had come to the multitude, a man came to Him, kneeling down to Him and saying, 15 “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. 16 So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him.”
    17 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.” 18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.
    19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”
    20 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

Well this was an off the cuff thread , I never intended to preach or teach . What I have posted is a random mix of information on the disciples . It was intentional , if it were a lesson there would have been more order but I encourage you to read your bible . We didn't even scratch the surface in this part of the thread , there is so much more to learn about them that is interesting and amazing . The disciples exodus from Jerusalem after the crucifixion , the Pentecost , which preformed the first miracle , when were they given the power to heal . How did they influence the bible we read , when and how did they die . It will certainly hold your attention to study them it's an amazing study .

Jesus was sacrificed to pay for our sins and he set in motion through his disciples the church , a living body . We are all to be disciples to extend and spread the word of GOD to reproduce others to carry on the living body of the church that it never dies but grows . We are disciples of the living GOD we serve to bring glory to him .