Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: will i ever grow up??

Boolit Buddy
    That reminds me of the ole carnival Tommy guns where you had to shoot a red star out of the middle for a prize.
    Domari Nolo

In Remembrance
    Back in the 70's when My wife was pregnant with our first born, I wrongfully decided she needed a car to drive instead of a pickup, so bought her the ugliest car ever built, an AMC matador, god that thing was ugly, but supposedly a safe rig. I had a co2 powered pellet gun and for some reason a case of co2 cartridges got left in the trunk of it, in the Houston summer, that was not a good mix, those things are dangerous.
    I walked by the car one day and it looked like someone had been locked in the trunk for a week with a ball peen hammer, both rear quarter panels had multiple dents in them. lol
    Last edited by starmac; 03-20-2018 at 01:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess that's one way to improve the looks of a hornet. Bet it looked like it had the measles on both rear cheeks.
    LMAO, Sorry, my neighbor had one and it was my only way to go for several months. I was embarrassed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    60-90 shots from two CO2 cartridges. That will be an expensive way to have an hour of fun. But cheaper than owning an M16 or Tommy gun.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Worked at a shop awhile back where someone (???) adapted a similar gun to use shop compressed air. Seem to recall some folks use scuba tanks as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    60-90 shots from two CO2 cartridges. That will be an expensive way to have an hour of fun. But cheaper than owning an M16 or Tommy gun.
    I'm a little curious as to the CO2 'hit' from that reciprocating bolt - perhaps more shots per ctg. would have been possible with a different design, but part of the genius in the overall design of this is the action of that bolt assembly.

Boolit Master
    BTW, there is a higher-quality version of the demo video here, along w/ a brief article.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...auto-dpms-sbr/

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    When I was a kid we used to play war and use bb and pellet guns so no one could say you missed me. It was pretty obvious who was hit and who was not. I also bought my first gun (single shot 22) at age 12 had to take a note from my mom saying it was OK. God times were great when I was a kid.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I guess that's one way to improve the looks of a hornet. Bet it looked like it had the measles on both rear cheeks.
    LMAO, Sorry, my neighbor had one and it was my only way to go for several months. I was embarrassed.
    I lied, it was a matador, only car built that was uglier than a hornet. lol

Boolit Grand Master
    "Will I ever grow up???"
    I hope not.
    I enjoy being as young as my mind will allow me.
    Many grown-up's seem to just be going through life, without really enjoying themselves.
    I think they forgot what it was like to be young.
    I always tell the young one's I know, "Try to never lose the feeling of being young. Once it's gone, it's gone"

Banned

where did you get that number? I guess ive if its true you can buy 10 co2 cartridges and a box of bbs for the price of one box of 22 shells these days. to me I would have more of a problem with the bother of changing the co2 cartridge out that much then the cost.

Banned

oh theres a few others. Had a gremlin x buddy in the neighborhood growing up had and there was a rebel "Machine" in town, one of the 3 tone red white and blue ones. None of them compared in ugly to my next door neighbors 64 327 American. that gave the hideous late 50s early 60s mopars a run for there money on the to 10 ugly list.
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Back in the 70's when My wife was pregnant with our first born, I wrongfully decided she needed a car to drive instead of a pickup, so bought her the ugliest car ever built, an AMC matador, god that thing was ugly, but supposedly a safe rig. I had a co2 powered pellet gun and for some reason a case of co2 cartridges got left in the trunk of it, in the Houston summer, that was not a good mix, those things are dangerous.
    I walked by the car one day and it looked like someone had been locked in the trunk for a week with a ball peen hammer, both rear quarter panels had multiple dents in them. lol
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-21-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    where did you get that number? I guess ive if its true you can buy 10 co2 cartridges and a box of bbs for the price of one box of 22 shells these days. to me I would have more of a problem with the bother of changing the co2 cartridge out that much then the cost.

Lloyd, from Pyramid Air site in the Q/A
    "Q How many BBs does it hold? How many will it fire per co2 cart pair in semi and full auto approximately?
    Bryce from Canada:
    A From Phillip Guadalupe in Replica Airguns interview at Shot: semi auto ~ 175 shots... full auto 60-90 shots per 2-12g CO2s

Tyler from USA:
    A30 rds. Not sure on shot count yet"

BTW, from the same site....100 CO2 cartridges are $46. They should yield about 4000 shots
    4000 steel BB's about $10

Add shipping and it comes to $65.00 for 4000 shots.

A full auto string of 30 shots is under $.50. If we can load and fire 30 magazines an hour it comes to $15/hr of fun....not too bad! If I did the figures right.

May need to get one too!!!!
    Don Verna

In Remembrance
    I went to school with a guy that had a gremlin, lots of folks quit laughing at it, when all they could see was it's tail lights leaving them in the dust. That puppy was no slouch. Personally I think the fishbowl pacers were the worst.

Moderator Emeritus

I lied, it was a matador, only car built that was uglier than a hornet. lol
    Nope the pacer beats everything

Moderator Emeritus

I went to school with a guy that had a gremlin, lots of folks quit laughing at it, when all they could see was it's tail lights leaving them in the dust. That puppy was no slouch. Personally I think the fishbowl pacers were the worst.
    I had a Gremlin X... 401 and a 4 speed... left Camaro's eating rubber smoke! Would pull the front end 3 feet off the ground if I got on it hard.

Banned

yup 4000 shots for the price of a 1000 22s isn't bad.
    Lloyd, from Pyramid Air site in the Q/A
    "Q How many BBs does it hold? How many will it fire per co2 cart pair in semi and full auto approximately?
    Bryce from Canada:
    A From Phillip Guadalupe in Replica Airguns interview at Shot: semi auto ~ 175 shots... full auto 60-90 shots per 2-12g CO2s

Tyler from USA:
    A30 rds. Not sure on shot count yet"

BTW, from the same site....100 CO2 cartridges are $46. They should yield about 4000 shots
    4000 steel BB's about $10

Add shipping and it comes to $65.00 for 4000 shots.

A full auto string of 30 shots is under $.50. If we can load and fire 30 magazines an hour it comes to $15/hr of fun....not too bad! If I did the figures right.

May need to get one too!!!!

Banned

Must have had some BIG slicks. they had about no rear end weight and had only about a foot of overhang past the wheels. My buddy who had one had the original 304 (the biggest motor amc ever put in them) it was a tire smoking sob but in a real race really struggled for traction with even the 304. A much better sleeper and probably the quickest thing that ever came out of amc was the SC hornet scramblers with the 390. those things embarrassed lots of chevs, fords and mopars. Amx's with the 390s were respectable too but not as much of a sleeper. by the time the 401 javalins were made the motors compression ratios had dropped due to the epa and were in truth less powerful then the 390s. But that said with the right bolt ons they were just as good and had 20 more cubic in. One guy I was stationed with in the service had a 69 amx that he put a built 401 in and it was the fastest thing on base. Bottom line though is there all lame compared to what ford, chev and dodge are fielding today. What I would have done back in the 70s for the drivetrain out of a hellcat or zl1 Camaro. I could have won pro stock races on Friday and nascar races on sunday and drove it to work on Monday with the ac on.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I had a Gremlin X... 401 and a 4 speed... left Camaro's eating rubber smoke! Would pull the front end 3 feet off the ground if I got on it hard.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Must have had some BIG slicks. they had about no rear end weight and had only about a foot of overhang past the wheels. My buddy who had one had the original 304 (the biggest motor amc ever put in them) it was a tire smoking sob but in a real race really struggled for traction with even the 304. A much better sleeper and probably the quickest thing that ever came out of amc was the SC hornet scramblers with the 390. those things embarrassed lots of chevs, fords and mopars. Amx's with the 390s were respectable too but not as much of a sleeper. by the time the 401 javalins were made the motors compression ratios had dropped due to the epa and were in truth less powerful then the 390s. But that said with the right bolt ons they were just as good and had 20 more cubic in. One guy I was stationed with in the service had a 69 amx that he put a built 401 in and it was the fastest thing on base. Bottom line though is there all lame compared to what ford, chev and dodge are fielding today. What I would have done back in the 70s for the drivetrain out of a hellcat or zl1 Camaro. I could have won pro stock races on Friday and nascar races on sunday and drove it to work on Monday with the ac on.
    Rear was tubbed and the axle narrowed and beefed up... and there WERE factory 401's! Mine was a clone but still fun! Didn't take much to drop in the 401, took more to redo the rear end to handle tires. By the time I sold it the body was so twisted you had to dukes of hazard to get in it, doors no longer opened. Even when they did open it was a pain to get in around the roll cage. It was built for street/strip by a friend of mine(I was in on the build) and when he decided he wanted to build a 1970 mach one 428CJ he needed cash and sold it to me cheap. I got pulled over and issued a warning for speeding... highway cop said there was no way that *** Gremlin was doing 80mph... I made sure to NOT point out the 401 badge on the back hatch!

Sheriff dept closed off a 2 mile stretch of road on weekends for us to race on. We paid to have emergency crews on standby and it got us off the street! Made some nice cash with it until nobody wanted to race me unless it was some out of town newbie who didn't have a clue what was under the hood.

"Randall 401-XR

Randall AMC dealership in Mesa, Arizona, received AMC's endorsement to build 401 cu in (6.6 L) V8 powered Gremlins. The cars started out as 304 V8 models from the factory and after Randall's modifications would run 13.90 seconds at 103-106 miles per hour (171 km/h) in the quarter mile, for $2,995 (US$16,511 in 2017 dollars[14]). Known as the Randall 401-XR (X for Gremlin X, R for Randall), a total of twenty cars were built for the street and one for the strip during 1972, 1973, and 1974.[56] Car Craft magazine tested one with some modifications and achieved 115.07 miles per hour (185 km/h) in 12.22 seconds while still remaining a "totally streetable, daily-driver".[57]"

Banned

I pride myself on knowing my muscle cars but you taught me something. I had never heard of a randall gremlin. Kind of the copo Camaro of the amc crowd. Cool thing about amc is ALL of there v8s were made on the same block so you could plunk in any motor in a couple hours and be driving down the streat and even shed a couple pounds because the bigger pistons weighted less then the steal bored out of the block. Anything in the 60s and 70s that dipped into the 13s off the showroom floor was capable of beating anything on a given Friday night. Dip into the 12s and do it on street tires and you had yourself an animal that you had better know what your doing when you planted the go peddle.. today you can go to the ford, chev or dodge dealer and buy a car with there mid range power plant that will do mid 12s with the air on and get 25 mpg on the way home. I love those old muscle cars and would dearly like to be able to afford to buy my old 454 chevelle back but for what id pay for it I could buy a hellcat and a ss Camaro and both would smoke it. But no where near the cool factor. Id bet if you could come across one of those 20 gremlins you could probably retire on what its worth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast