Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Got Planted 2018

Boolit Master
    I am chomping at the bit to get in the garden but I am dealing with some of the same weather as MaryB. I wanted to at least have my potatoes in the ground by now.

I am a bit bummed out about it...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    What a year. Winter just keeps hanging on, snowed all day here but afternoon it was melting as it came down. farmerjim I feel for you battling the deer as we have the same problem here. Thousands of the stinking things.

Boolit Grand Master

Been planting my snow shovel in a big drift, darn global warming!

Boolit Master
    Normally harvest my horseradish by now. Kinda hard since its in a snow back covered by ice. As for planting. We are still a long time off on that one. Here anyway.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Transplanted the tomatoes and peppers I started in February to the garden this morning!

Boolit Master
    Just pulled the first bowl of loquats from the tree Sunday. Pretty tasty though I confess I hadn't tried them before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-04-15 10.06.33.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	218605
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

This might sound like a commercial for Aero garden, but my excellent experience with it for starting seeds is as follows;

first some pics--

Where some of the plants below are headed,,-- if spring ever does get here. 8" of wet snow fell Saturday and Sunday, I still can't get out of my driveway!

Name:	IMG_2851.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	218599

On the left are pepper plants, the right is tomato plants, one of which has potato leafs.

Name:	IMG_2846.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	218600

A bit closer. The peppers were planted on 3-28, the tomatoes on 3-29, so that's 20 days of growth.

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	218601

Backing off shows the Aero garden base. It has about 2 gallons of water in it which brings the water up to the bottom of the peat plugs you can see in the pic. There's also a small pump in the base that runs on a programed hour running every 12 hours. It pumps fresh water up to the peat plugs which also aerates it.

Name:	IMG_2848.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	218602

This is another aero garden, my first one that's 4 years old. It's normally a seven hole top when growing spices indoors. The above model is normally a 9 hole. This on has some more tomatoes, and some Kohlrabi. These were planted on 4-8. Waiting for seeds to come from a seed company called Veseys. It took 7 days for them to pick and ship the order. Then I find out they're a Canadian company, so into their mail system it went(no ability to track). That was 8 days ago! No biggy, this season will be late, and the aero garden grows plants quickly.

Name:	IMG_2849.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	218603

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	218604

I should have taken a broad angle shot showing the light hood that shines down on the plants. It has 150 LEDs 75% are white the rest are red and blue (to mimick sunlight). It takes a lot less power to light things up and they last a lot longer that florescent bulbs. those are also programmable as to when and how long they stay lit. These are both set for 18 hrs on 6 off. The hood is able to go right down on the deck, way up to 24 " above the top.

So a combination of perfect growing conditions and selection of your own seeds gives you a garden of your choice. It is basically hydroponics.Agribon AG-30
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

The LED hood from underneath;

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	218608

And from above, you can see one of the locks that allow for height adjustment.

Name:	IMG_2854.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	218610
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2846.jpg   IMG_2849.jpg   IMG_2853.jpg  
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    looks like a good rig for getting a start on the growing season snuffy!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I started the hot peppers and asparagus indoors this week. Still two feet of snow on the garden. We're at least six weeks from putting anything in the ground.

Moderator Emeritus

36 tomato plants started, 36 pepper plants, 8 cukes, 8 acorn squash, 5 watermelon, then the rest of that 36 cell starter is celery and bunch onions. I always to 3 seeds to a cell and pull the weakest leaving 2 plants. I find having 2 plants next to each other in the garden helps them withstand the winds I deal with...

Boolit Master

Mary I too put more than one seed in each peat pod, usually 2. I usually pinch off the smaller of 2 plants that have sprouted, but if your experience is that 2 plants can thrive in one place, I may leave both grow. Also if one of the seeds fails to germinate, at least I'll have one plant per space in the aero top.

A couple of years ago I tried to plant some old seeds,(last years seeds), I put 3 in each seed starter. About a 50% failure rate but a least one sprouted. I had the same luck I usually had with potting soil in seed starters, the plants got "leggy", or IOW spindly, long skinny stems. Most died when planted in the garden, even with hardening for 8 days first.

That's whats so cool about the aero garden, the plants in the first series of pics all have 3 leaf sets and husky stems.

Boolit Buddy
    Wooo... 'got a minute?"

Am now on my 90 acre plot of sandy loam and scrub oak here in "BIG SKY" country..(central Texas)....but...but...

1. Two types of tomatoes..via seeds...
    2. Basil... I make gallons of 'broth' from old meat and 'stuff'... Basil is a main stay
    3. Oregano...goes in broth too
    4. Celery
    5. Cucumbers
    6. three 'colors' of carrots
    7. Two types of Dill..allways cover my fish on the grill with DILL
    8. Garlic
    9. Mint ...over by the fence so it can just go nuts
    10. Spearmint ... by the fence too
    11. Spinach
    12...corn
    13. Squash...yellow
    14. Red watermelon...normal kind
    15. Israel Melons.. sweetest fruit you will ever put in your mouth!
    16. Pumpkins
    17... GORD package...several types...yes...yes...over along the fence
    18. Black eye peas... purple hull....
    19. Red bell peppers....tired of paying $1 a piece for these
    20. Green bell peppers
    21. Red chili peppers
    22. "CHINESE" ornamental peppers
    23. Jalapenos..
    24. Rosemary...yes...yes...yes...for the BROTH Too!
    25. Radishes....
    26. Thyme...you guessed it...broth ....
    27. stalk onions
    28. purple onions
    29. white onions
    30. green peas
    31. Fennel
    32. Coriander... (Cilantro for us Texans)
    33. Chives
    34. Leeks
    35. Parsley.....
    36... tried some cabbage...we will see if rabbits will let it come up
    37... beets... good luck...

OK...what did I forget?... I got my drip system 1/2 done and connected to the well.

OH YEA... Potatoes...three types...am putting them in used TIRES this year...see how
    they grow.

Wish me luck fellas.

Nose Dive

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Mary I too put more than one seed in each peat pod, usually 2. I usually pinch off the smaller of 2 plants that have sprouted, but if your experience is that 2 plants can thrive in one place, I may leave both grow. Also if one of the seeds fails to germinate, at least I'll have one plant per space in the aero top.

A couple of years ago I tried to plant some old seeds,(last years seeds), I put 3 in each seed starter. About a 50% failure rate but a least one sprouted. I had the same luck I usually had with potting soil in seed starters, the plants got "leggy", or IOW spindly, long skinny stems. Most died when planted in the garden, even with hardening for 8 days first.

That's whats so cool about the aero garden, the plants in the first series of pics all have 3 leaf sets and husky stems.
    I end up fertilizing a little more with 2 plants per spot in the garden. As I said, I battle constant winds and summer winds that can hit 90mph once or twice a summer so 2 plants next to each other offers better support.

Boolit Master
    MaryB can I send you some of the 6" of snow still on the garden?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    MaryB can I send you some of the 6" of snow still on the garden?
    Only if you want the 6' drift in mine LOL I am figuring first week of June before I plant this year.

Boolit Grand Master

Just today put in two tomatoes, four peppers, three eggplants, three basil plants, chives, and cukes. Very small space largely given herbs. The oregano and the mint are next to each other, the oregano is winning! Sage didn't make last winter, after surviving the last four. Have to replace that. Rosemary is up and growing, blueberries are putting on berries. Have radishes, spinach, and carrots in the ground and growing, needing to be thinned.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Don't tell Brassmagnet but I planted a couple of wheel weights in my back yard, hope I can grow a lead tree and not have to scrounge lead all over the place.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Small garden here in the RV Resort this year. 7 tomatoes, a Jalapeno & Cayenne pepper and one bell pepper.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

A feller told me last year about planting seeds in a sandwich baggie on top of a moist folded paper towel inside, then turn it over so the little root would try to go down instead of up into the paper towel making it hard to get the plant out. Use a magic marker to identify. Put the stack of baggies in a warm dark place and check for sprouting regularly. Then plant in peat moss thingys until you can transplant where needed. On the lighter side. _____A couple years ago I worked feverishly to get all the seeds above ground type planted and remembered pinto beans. Went to the pantry and found pinto beans in a two cup measure on the top shelf. Took a hand full of beans to the garden and planted them. I had left the beans on the counter as I was in a hurry and next day the little lady discovered the beans and asked about them. I told her that I planted them. She informed me that they would not come up because she had already used them twice on top of foil put on top of the pie crust to keep it from bubbling up as it was baked in the oven at 350 degrees. . Well low and behold, in a few days I looked and there were pinto beans coming up. As we used the beans, every time we referred to them as " the twice baked beans". Now some of you may not believe this so, I challenge you to try it sometime. LOL

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast