Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: binary triggers

Boolit Master

binary triggers

thanks to loyd smale posting about putting a binary trigger in an ar, I did some research on them because I had never heard about them. intriguing to say the least, and anything that might get outlawed goes to the top of my must have list.

what are some things to look for, any brand recommendations, how easy for a layperson to install.

looking at the franklin arms bfs111, seams well built and states that any bcg will work and does not need a light weight bcg.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Have you assembled an AR lower ?

This will sound like a cop out " there are about 100 Utube videos " but that's where I got the guidance to assemble a stripped lower .

Swapping a Fire Control Group , FCG aka trigger group but for the GIs and cool kids , is really only a little more complicated than 2 pins out and back in . I rate it at field stripping a Browning Hi Power .
    There's one mouse trap spring on the hammer that when looking at the loose parts looks like it goes in backwards , if the trigger assemblies are loose parts it all looks backwards to me but when assembled is a one way in assembly .
    Most of the drop in assemblies are contained sets and the only complicated part is the semi loaded mouse trap spring for the hammer . These are really just 2 pins out , R&R parts lower/forward pin in , locate the upper/rear holes and spring curl alignment and click the pin in .

There's a screw , coil spring , and detent pin involved if you need to change the safety and another screw for an ambidextrous safety selector .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Basic nuts and bolts of a complete stripped lower build .

https://youtu.be/wNTP7GNU6DY

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I think there might be more involved than just a 2 pin drop in. the manufacture offers a install so I was assuming a little smithing might be involved thats why I asked about a layman doing the install. got to be somebody on here that has installed one of these things and can shed some insite.

Nope not really any more to it .
    I've assembled 4 lowers with stock parts and changed out the GI parts in one for an ambidextrous safety and a trigger assembly with a 3rd safety position that has a 4# short reset .
    The 5 GI trigger parts are replaced by the new parts contained in a block that has only the assembly block and the mouse trap spring .

Appearently I can't add anymore pictures ........

After a closer examination I remembered that on the upgrade trigger the safety selector has to be removed so the pistol grip has to be removed .
    It is retained by a single screw like a shotgun butt stock .
    The pistol grip retains a coil spring and detent pin that resembles a Zippo flint spring sans the screw , it is on the upright right front corner of the grip . Remove the spring and detent pin . The safety selector is free or should be free to be removed out the left side .

The larger pin carries the hammer and spring . The pin is retained by a spring leg on a groove . It just snaps out like the FC pins in a BPS . ATI uses screws in the Hybrid lowers .

The smaller pin carries the trigger and I believe the disconnector pivot . It's been 2 yr since I did the build . Remove the pin and the 3 parts of the disconnector ,sear and hammer 2 springs and the trigger are free .

The block assembly trigger group will or at least should slip in and align with one or the other of the pins freely . The other will need just a few lbs of down pressure and a wiggle to line up the 2nd one . Install the safety switch flip the receiver over , drop the safety detent pin in and the spring , line up the screw and grip handle and screw it down .

Check the safety and trigger function , reset the hammer , assemble the upper to the lower . Cycle manually to ensure the chamber is clear and check function of BCG ,charging handle and bolt release .
    Check safety function and dry fire , reset manually for each position .

There may or may not be any fitting required GI/MilSpec form lowers shouldn't need anything done .
    If a receiver needs to be modified it may become an NFA modification , my drop in short reset 4# trigger doesn't and isn't . Should that change I kept all the parts and it would take about 5 minutes to restore the GI parts .

Boolit Master
    The Echo Gen 2 doesn't require a specifical BCG either, and has the advantage of being a single cassette and tougher to screw up.

Boolit Master

thanks harter66, they sure made it sound like it could be hard and yes you have to change out the position switch to a 3 position.

Boolit Master

binary triggers are not the run of the mill drop in junk pile of parts, there is more to them. i myself have a franklin genIII, awesome trigger. depending how fast you are and variables in gas sys length gas port etc, you may desire a lightweight bcg. fostech may eventually be a better mousetrap, but if you surf the net, you will see their quality isnt there yet. IMO if i wanted another, i would go with the franklin again, but expect the possibility of maybe needing tuning. not a difficult install, be read the destructions first before attempting!

Boolit Master

I looked at the echo and fostech but like you said the reviews were hit and miss thats why I was looking at the franklin but they sure try to get you to send them the gun and have them install.

Boolit Master

its not that difficult to install if you have a tiny bit of mechanical aptitude. if your curious i believe you can find some install videos on youtube. its not quite as simple as dropping in a standard trigger, but its not building the space shuttle either.

Boolit Master

well I sprung for the franklin binary. hate to spend that kind of money right now, but I am afraid its now or never with the new machine gun like laws. supposed to be a 8 week lead time and the new laws have a 12 week comment period before they are law so I guess I will see if I end up with one or not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    its not that difficult to install if you have a tiny bit of mechanical aptitude. if your curious i believe you can find some install videos on youtube. its not quite as simple as dropping in a standard trigger, but its not building the space shuttle either.
    Count YouTube out, installation videos are banned.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Basic nuts and bolts of a complete stripped lower build .

https://youtu.be/wNTP7GNU6DY
    THANKS YOUTUBE This video is unavailable.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

not yet they arent. https://youtu.be/98fGKaeYSzk

Boolit Master

well it made it. the instructions leave a lot to be desired, they send extra parts but don't tell you they are extra, spent better part of an hour trying to figure out were a little ity bity spring went only to discover it was an extra in case the trigger assembly that came assembled were to come unassembled in shipping. good thing the install videos were still up. actually it was a pretty straight forward and simple install once I learned I did not need to use all the parts that came with it. takes a little getting used to firing a shot on release of the trigger but once you get going its a blast, probably going to need to get busy swagging more 55 grainers out of 22lr brass.

Boolit Master
    I am not sure if YouTube is censoring the videos. I think they are censoring the videos that are commercial in nature and advertising for some business or company. If a video is not advertising in some way, they should be leaving it alone.

But I find it sort of fun to put together a AR. The guns are sort of a plug and play kind of thing for assembly. Pretty neat.