WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Cut Down Cases

Boolit Master
    Got one of those mini tube cutters in my tool box for brake lines is small spaces in cars. Made short work of a some 5.56 cases for a home made comparator. As stated pretty much clean square cut from the get go. Definitely a low cost option for a limited run.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6089_200396089

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Mostly shortened 308 & 30-06 cases; I've used tubing cutters and fine toothed hacksaw blades mainly, they work. Bandsaw'd work too, basically anything that would cut brass

This is the best way I have come up with. It will cut over 2000 cases per hour and all I have to do is keep the collator full.

Boolit Master

For just a few, a tubing cutter will work. For a tapered case to avoid marking a spiral , make one turn, tighten and reverse the turn for one turn, then tighten and reverse again to turn the case the original direction. Repeat until separation occurs. You will have to trim off the mouth end to square up the mouth.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    ......The only thing I would do differently would be to drill the holes all the way through so the bases slide on the press table. That would keep the OAL pretty uniform. I heartily approve!
    +1 on drilling through holes, that would give very consistent length.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Banned
    SEE updated post #7

Holes are drilled on a drill press with the depth top set at the desired height so all holes are a uniform depth.

A plunge router wsould do, if you don't have a drill press, also. (I need a drill press, but do have the other )

Hey Mr Sheesh, I have a cheap drill press that I need to replace as soon as the chuck quits completely. I bought it @120.00 40 years ago. HF has one almost like it with some upgrades for $67. +, but I still don't want to part with the old one. I didn't think it would have ever lasted this long.

Yep, once I move I'll have space for a shop, apartments SUCK for those into multiple hobbies tho!

I use to cut down brass with my table saw with a fine toothed carbide blade. make a wood block with holes that you can push the brass into with your thumb and run it down the rip fence slowly .
    I did 6 at a time and it worked well for me.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

A freshly sharpened cutter in a 70s tubing cutter made short work of the first 50 pieces.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I have used a tube cutter, but it is a little tricky on tapered cases. Also it is hard to hang onto the case while turning it. Can be done, though.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    This is the best way I have come up with. It will cut over 2000 cases per hour and all I have to do is keep the collator full.

Mr Morris,

You never cease to amaze me

That is slick!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    The knowledge, tips, ingenuity , and experience from posters like Nueces, Grmps and jmorris(and others) is why this site is so great. The knowlege and experience and willingness to share is amazing and greatly appreciated!

Boolit Master
    when forming 7.63 mauser out of .30-06 I used a tubing cutter. when cutting .223 to make .30 mauser I ground my own parting tool and did them in the lathe.

If you have a lathe, I took a section of bar stock and drilled a hole in it the diameter of the case. Then drilled and tapped a hole in the side for a thumbscrew that’s was tapered on the end to hold it in the extractor grove.

Insert the case, saw it off a bit proud then touch the end against a belt sander until the brass is flush with the holder.

Quick and easy.

It’s the thing with the 308 case sticking out of it at the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 179A8A1C-2C70-4D61-9147-497C02791124.jpg  

Boolit Man
    Harbor Freight has a mini chop saw that can work.
    Last edited by CBH; 03-15-2020 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Punctuation

I make vblock jig from 2x scrap and cut cases with cut off wheel in dremil. Cut a tad long to square up in case trimmer. Block made to index the cut.

I once had a wildcat that was formed on 30-30 brass and the neck would need about a 1/2" trimmed off.
    I took a block of hardwood and drilled a row of holes about the size of the necks then opened up the backside to where the large part of the case would slip in and the rim would keep the cases all at the same depth.
    To cut them I used a old fine tooth plywood table saw blade on a table saw with the rip fence set up where there would only be about .010 - .015 left to trim and pushed them through slow and it cut the brass easily.
    It took more time to poke the cutoff cases from the block of wood than it took to push them in and cut them but doing 6 at a time they went quick enough.

: Sorry for not rereading the old posts as I answered this 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-17-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I've hogged back a bunch of cases to make .458 X 2" cases. Small tubing cutter to make a rough cut, then, expand and I use my Lyman case trimmer to take an electric drill to take them down to the correct length. Picked up one of the old Forester attachments for the drill press and it's great for making 9mm Specials (.38 Special cases cut down to 9mm length for use in the Ruger 9mm convertible)./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast