MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionADvertise hereRepackboxTitan Reloading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Way to Cut Down Cases

Boolit Grand Master

What little case forming I have done I used an RCBS trim die and a fine tooth (32 TPI) hacksaw. I cut them a little long and used a case trimmer to smooth up the mouth. Trim dies are a little expensive and they make a mess if used at the loading bench.

Boolit Mold
    I like the little pipe cutter idea. can I use .308 or 30-06 cases for a .45ACP Case? Should I cut it exactly the length of the revolver chamber or a tad shorter? Do they cycle thru semi autos ?

Boolit Buddy

Wolfe the 308 work great, the commercial hs work better than the military brass for me. I cut some to use in a S&W 37 Brazilian. Floating around some where on the internet is a set of plans to make the shot shell dies for the 45 acp. Made a set several years ago and yes they will cycle in my 45 acp autos. For the revolver after sizing down the 308 case to fit the throat ,I cut them just short of the cylinder length. I also use 410 shot shell wads for these and a clear plastic wad over the shot to seal and keep the shot in, with a slight roll crimp to contain everything.

Boolit Master
    If yer gonna be into the "Reloading Hobby" for looong time just BIT THE BULLET and get a small metal lathe. (HF will do!)
    Use it (forever) for all sorts of odd case prep-trimming / reloading tasks.

GONRA's definition of a "small metal lathe" means its a SCREW CUTTING metal lathe with a LEADSCREW!
    (I.e. NOT a slick-glossy-ad expensive Feels Good HOBBY LATHE without a leadscrew!)

(Watchout - probably will turn into a Great New Basement Hobby - MACHINE SHOP - that you missed in High School!)
    Last edited by GONRA; 03-24-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123