WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: New barrel or reline existing.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

New barrel or reline existing.

Ok, I've got an extra 12,7x44R rolling block I am thinking about converting to 45 Colt. Your thoughts and suggestions please. Would like to keep this as simple and straight forward as possible while keeping the expense minimal. Would like to not have to alter or change the block face.

So, re-barrel or re-line existing barrel?
    Ok, let the suggestions commence.

Edit...Let me flesh this question out a little more. This roller is a sporter version. No barrel bans. Barrel has been cut back about 2 inches from its original length. Currently is wearing bladed front and ladder rear sight. I'm contemplating this project of 45 Colt for ease of shooting, reloading since all needed equiptment is easily obtainable and I have a nice set of 45 Colt molds just crying to be used and it is an antique rifle, black powder pressure limits, not wanting to remanufacture breech block or other action parts except most likely the ejector. I just figure that shooting a 45 Colt revolver cartridge in this older action would still avail me the opportunity to shoot and hunt with the rifle with less worry about wearing the breech bolt in my right eye socket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-23-11-12-27.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	217059
    Last edited by MOA; 03-25-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: clarity

Cost wise it can sometimes be cheaper to reline. But it depends on what you pay for the donor barrel vs. liner. Advantages of a liner are keeping the original exterior look, so no refinish required, and iif a barrel has markings you save them also. For collectible rifles the liner makes more sense. If the gun isn't collectible I'd opt for a new barrel, if I could locate a barrel blank I liked at a reasonable price. Still needs fitting and bluing, but it allows me to change contour to something I prefer like a full octagon.

Boolit Grand Master

Relining may be more accurate... I know several target rifle shooters that claim it is so. It will be cheaper to reline also.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Relining may be more accurate... I know several target rifle shooters that claim it is so. It will be cheaper to reline also.
    Both depend on who does the work. accuracy can be better if the reline is done well, and with a good quality liner. Cost can run from as little as $450 for a CF liner installed, to up to $550. A new barrel will run from as little as $150 to around $400 for the highest quality. Fitting it usually runs $150 or so. That too depends on who fits the barrel, and the quality as to whether it's more accurate or not.
    I know guys who wont have barrels relined, and others who prefer them. I've had mine done by John Taylor, and his relines are always great quality, and almost impossible to detect as relined barrels.

Boolit Master

If you're thinking about keeping the military wood, barrel bands, etc..., it's probably A LOT less problematic to reline and leave the external dimensions alone and not have to copy the exact profile.

OTOH, ditching the original barrel frees you to do any countour, octgonal, sight dovetails, Unertl scope blocks.

Comes down to where you want to end up.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I do quite a few relines and recommend them when it is desirable to keep the look of the old barrel. While I have done more than a few high pressure cartridges I don't recommend it. The liners I use are hammer forged from 4130 steel which is not as hard as 4140 that most new barrels are made from. Installing a liner can be done with hand tools but not recommended. Green Mountain has barrels for about the same cost as a liner. Anyone with a lathe and a little experience can do either job. For this application I would recommend a new barrel unless there is some reason to keep the original looks. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/bx45c-2...ned-bbl-blank/ would be a good choice and should work with the BP rolling block but would be to small for a #5. The 1 in 32 twist is about right for a rifle barrel in 45 Colt.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I do quite a few relines and recommend them when it is desirable to keep the look of the old barrel. While I have done more than a few high pressure cartridges I don't recommend it. The liners I use are hammer forged from 4130 steel which is not as hard as 4140 that most new barrels are made from. Installing a liner can be done with hand tools but not recommended. Green Mountain has barrels for about the same cost as a liner. Anyone with a lathe and a little experience can do either job. For this application I would recommend a new barrel unless there is some reason to keep the original looks. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/bx45c-2...ned-bbl-blank/ would be a good choice and should work with the BP rolling block but would be to small for a #5. The 1 in 32 twist is about right for a rifle barrel in 45 Colt.
    Thank you very much John, the action on these RB are from what I've been told is a #1 in size. I will give GM a call about the size of barrel that will fit this action. If I go that route, I will most likely go octagon barrel of a slight taper of 24 inches or so with a fast enough twist for the heavy boolits to stabilize within that barrel length, and one that is fat enough across the flats that I can remove material from the forend and possibly not have to order a new one that is inletted for that shape barrel.