Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Reck P8

Boolit Bub

Reck P8

There's a gun show going on not too far from me, which I normally don't even attend because prices are always just too high in my opinion. But I had some time to kill while I was close by and figured why not wander through. I found these two little guys and just couldn't pass them up, they're 1 number off from being sequential and were bought at the same time by the same guy. I'm the first owner outside of the family of the original purchaser and according to the paperwork neither have had more than 100 shells run through them. I know nothing about Reck or 25 acp, but I liked the pistols, and the price seemed reasonable. So now I'm looking for any general info that might be interesting and suggestions on where to start for casting and loading for them. I'm not even having much luck finding a mould for them. I was able to get a couple of boxes of factory ammo for them and a couple hundred pieces of brass at the show to get me started. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to take them out and shoot them a bit.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 50 grain mold has done well in all of the .25's I've tried it through.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned
    That's interesting. It looks like a cross between a Galesi-Brescia, a Baby Browning and a German Valor SM-11.

Cool find!

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I thought they were pretty interesting, say they were made in West Germany and bought new in early to mid 60's. Even got a paper with them saying approx when they were bought, handed down through a couple generations, repairs made etc.,

Boolit Bub
    I saw that Midway lists that RCBS mold, but also says 2 months between ordering and receiving. I can't seem to find anyone else that even lists it.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I managed to find a few minutes to shoot them today. Unfortunately it did not go as planned. First 3 magazines went fine through both guns, but on the 4th magazine the one gun became the first I've ever had to blow up in my hand. The front of the slide broke off and the remainder of it glanced off my cheek. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but did put a damper on the rest of the time we were out there shooting. I have no idea what caused it, I checked both out thoroughly before shooting and saw no indications of cracks or anything. So I picked up the pieces that I could find, looked the other gun over very closely and shot 2 more magazines through it and still no sign of problems with it. But I think it'll be retired now, I just wish I could have known ahead of time because I thought the pair was interesting enough as decoration. On the bright side, I guess I get to go shopping for another gun now, can't just let this 25 ammo and brass sit here and go to waste.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the links, I had not checked Numrich, the parts that I'm finding, or not finding, lead me to believe that the slide coming apart is not a rare occurrence because of the use parts and parts guns I find, they are all missing the slide, slide bolt, firing pin, and firing pin spring.

Unfortunately, RECK were a very cheap pistol back in the day. Rukschlag Energie Chaotisch Katastrophe.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Since you still have one complete example and the parts from your broken one, you might consider Machining a new slide for your broken gun. If the original was "Pot metal" th3en one machined form 7075T651 would be a much stronger improvement and a 4130 Cr-Mo Steel one a Vast Improvement. Even 10L18 or 10L20 Leaded Steel would be very good improvement and it could be Case Hardened for extra wear resistance.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    So Reck is the same as the other poorly made pistols Germany made at the time. A 25 blowing up a gun, wow. I had one of those 22LR german made revolvers. I got tired of fixing it, and chucked it. Back of the cyl was all dented from the hammer dropping without lock up. Sear broke on the hammer once, next time it was the sear and trigger.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry for your loss but at least it lived up to its name.