Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Redding case trimmer vs. Forster case trimmer

Boolit Man

Redding case trimmer vs. Forster case trimmer

Anybody out there with experience using Redding and Forster original case trimmers. I certainly would value your opinion as to which on you consider better and/or easier to use.

Boolit Master

I have the Forster and the Lyman, the Lyman is faster to change cases. Both work good, but I mainly use the Forster to do the outside neck turning.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I have one Lyman which occupies shelf space and several Forsters which are frequently in use. I have converted all to power drive. The Forster is as fast to change cases as any other trimmer and is highly repeatable in its accuracy. There are lots of them aaround used for about $40.00 which makes them a fine bargain.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Almost NO ONE uses the Redding trimmer if that tells you anything.
    The Forster is the most widely used, has the widest number of applications and is the most common. I think they have been on the market for about 50 years. I bought my first one in 1975 or 1976 and it has seen long hard use. That includes using a drill motor to power it while trimming 400. .30-06 cases back to 7.65x53 Mauser length. That is turning a lot of brass into chips.
    If you use care you can trim cases to .001 length variation.
    The Forster is easy to set up and use. It will trim everything from a .45-70 down to a .22 Hornet. There are several short bases for pistol rounds though I do not trim pistol rounds. There are oversize versions for very large rounds and a still larger on for the .50 BMG.
    Put a 5/16-24 UNF high nut on the cutter thread and you can drive it with a nut driver socket.
    You can also get case neck reamers and outside neck turning attachments. They are pretty g[d tools for the money. I bought my first one new. As years went by I got others really cheap or with other items when buying out guys giving up reloading. I now have 5 of them.
    Last edited by EDG; 03-20-2018 at 07:04 AM.
    EDG

Banned
    Well, I'm one of the few people that uses the Redding and it works just fine.

It's efficient when trimming for length, what it is designed to do.

I also use a Forester Neck turner (A well made device) and sometimes use the Redding case trimmer to hold the casings. At that point the Redding just becomes a device to hold and turn the casing.

My Redding case trimmer is about 30 years old and has held up well.

Boolit Master
    I upgraded a Hornady (passed to a family member) to Forster years ago and never looked back. Good quality tool that is used often.

For very large batches I use a RCBS power trimmer. It works well also.

A Lyman brass prep center (powered) is used for inside.outside chamfering.

I'll second a comment on the Forster neck turning tool (essentially a hand lathe), as it works as advertised. I run the brass directly in a drill chuck or use a Lee stud and shell holder for power neck turning - safes the fingers, doncha know!

I have the Little Crow tool. It measures from the shoulder, so depending on the individual piece of brass, length may vary a little. Good tool, very fast.

I prefer the Forster (and RCBS).
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Lyman and a Redding case trimmers which I have actually been contemplating listing in S&S -- perhaps it's "me", but the proof of the pudding IS the results, and I have never succeeded in obtaining the consistency of trimming I expected and desired from either! Not to offend any who like these and get great results -- I think the "problem" has something to do with their shell holding arrangement.
    On the other hand, the Foster and Wilson's have a case-holder which enables -- for me -- actual so-close-it's-scary repeatability upon trimming. I bought (from Sinclair) the drill motor adapter, and use an old Milwaukee 2.4 volt electric screwdriver - and it's the ONLY trimmer I use.
    I wholeheartedly endorse and recommend the Forster/Wilson -- with several THOUSAND trimmings done.
    geo