Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is the name of this style of screw?

Boolit Buddy

What is the name of this style of screw?

Please look at the attached picture. What is the proper name for this style of screw.

It's a 6-48 screw supplied with a universal scope base but my rifle is drilled and tapped for M4 metric threads so i am trying to find a metric equivalent but without correct name i haven't been able to find screws with a tapered lower half of the head.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	216429.

My guess is Filister. I may be and often am wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Try Brownells.(sp)
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Super Moderator

That type of screw is called a "Weaver Screw". Brownell's does have them, but I'm not sure about the metric sizes though.

Boolit Master
    That is the kind of screw I think Weaver originally used, although it has been copied by lots of others. But I don't know of it being manufactured except as a gun screw by Brownells, and not in metric sizes.

You could get some slotted but unthreaded blank screws from Brownells, and turn that countersink bevel with a file in an electric drill. Then and thread them with a 4m. die. The No8 Unified size is only about .006in. over 4mm, and you shouldn't try to use the slot to turn them into the die. It is long enough to hold it in a vice, and then shift it to hold the piece you have already threaded, and will cut off, while you thread it up to the head.

Alternatively you can get some countersunk-head Allen head machine screws, made to be turned with a hexagonal wrench. They don't have that cylindrical section, but only an edge rounded enough to avoid cutting your fingers. But they are larger in diameter, and can be turned to a slightly shorter cylinder. Most are stainless, but they should be available in black or self-coloured.

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk...lt_SHCsk_M.pdf

Alternatively if the metric thread is coarse (0.7mm per thread rather than 0.5mm.), you could use the die to alter the thread of an 8-32 Unified Fine screw, which is very close to identical. Or you could use an end mill in a bench drill to convert the hole in the scope bases, to suit a cheese head screw instead of that bevel. Cheese head and fillister both have cylindrical heads, the only difference being that a cheese head is flat on the exposed top, and the fillister slightly convex.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Boolit Master

I had that problem with Weaver mounts. I took a 118 degree drill bit and changed the mount's hole to match what I had.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Ace Hardware is now carrying gun screw assortments in stock. Give them a try if you have one local.

I often use hardened torx screws for cutting inserts when mounting bases.

Do a google search for: insert countersunk torx head screw. Choose "images" to find what you're looking for.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Ace Hardware is now carrying gun screw assortments in stock. Give them a try if you have one local.
    Really! Did not know that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    It depends on the Ace Hardware, they're franchise shops, and the owners have a lot of lee-way in what they carry or don't.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    I worked out a solution.

I removed the taper from the bottom of the holes in the mount using a primer pocket uniformer. The mount is aluminium so the cut was easy. Then i found some M4 cap screws among my old RC heli parts boxes and set to work machining them down with a file while the screw was mounted in a drill.

The result came up great. They fit the holes perfectly and are nice and flush. A bit of cold blue and they'll be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0293 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	216476

Boolit Master

Germans and most over there have a " DIN" system for ID' ing all fasteners. Unsure if there is one like original you posted. I' ll check my reference just for the sake of ID' ing it. Had a friends CV-22 Czech 1922 pistol that his Dad brought back in the 50's. Lost grip screws, measured and found they were 3 1/2 mm! Typical of stuff back then. Tapped them to 6-32, perfect. Pistol has " bubba-ed" , worn out and missing parts. Cleaned up as a memento for him.BTW, an Austrian guy named Nickle designed it, worked for Mauser, resembles a Mauser pocket pistol and will accept their magazines.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Ask for M4x( measure length) DIN 7991. Closest one. Now, some Eastern Block States are mfg' ing all sorts of screws now, if thats one not sure what to say. By chance you know someone with a small lathe you can turn the countersink using a M4 x ? DIN 916 which are Usually easy to find.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers