RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Python v smith threads

Python v smith threads

Wondering about the thread pitch on python barrels versus smith n wesson 586?

Call Brownells. They love these questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Years back it was quite common for revolver shooters to have Colt barrels installed on S&W revolvers, all in the name of accuracy. Smythons is one name that comes to mind and probably a couple others. Frank

Boolit Buddy

The L frame thread pitch specs .562x36 tpi ... the new Python is .563x36 tpi and the older pythons are .563x32 tpi. the number of front sight pin holes will tell you whether it's old (2) or new (1)

Yep this is exactly what i have in mind. When as a pup i remember seeing a couple of these smiths with python barrels installed on them. I remember wondering how this was accomplished but had no reference for info and most importantly no money to pursue the project.

I think the python barrel lends a pinosh to the smith but dont know about the accuracy thing. Poor mans python is what comes to mind ... specially now what with the python prices being what they are.

Thanks for the replys and info. Has anyone done this to a smith revolver and if so what difficulties were encountered?

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Years back it was quite common for revolver shooters to have Colt barrels installed on S&W revolvers, all in the name of accuracy. Smythons is one name that comes to mind and probably a couple others. Frank
    A friend of mine has a stainless Ruger Security Six with a 6" stainless Colt Python barrel. Davis Custom did it, scary accurate, we call it the Cuger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Think there are 3 reasons for the python to S&W conversion.
    Colt barrels always had a reputation for accuracy.
    Colt barrels have slightly smaller bores and a different rifling twist.
    And it looks great. Only seen one but the dealer had delusions of grandure as in way too much $$$.
    Frank

I use to shoot PPC matches back in the 70's. Most of us had S&W revolvers with Davis bull barrels that were allowed. On the leg matches, only revolvers with all factory parts were allowed, no accurate bull barrels could be installed. Most of the shooters shooting the leg matches shot Colt Python revolvers as they had a reputation of being more accurate then S&W and other makes.

Boolit Master

Used to call them " Smolts" back in the 70's. Used to shoot with a detective( reminded everyone of Dirty Harry) that carried a 6" Python on shoulder rig. He could shoot that piece, told him to get into early PPS shooting matches. Çarried a Remington Mdl 700 in 458 Mag in the trunk of his car, said it was his" barracade rifle".
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers