Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast.... Fishing Sinkers!

Cast.... Fishing Sinkers!

Got some of my fishing stuff together along with a new license and I think I'll cast a few lines tomorrow and see if I can't get a croaker or two...

These guys are 1 1/2 oz and 1 oz. There's 15 of each. I think I'm good for a while.

Picked up the egg sinker mold from a yard sale the other day - kind of put the whole idea of fishing in my head again.

Attachment 216605

Cool. I'd like to get a few sinker moulds. Might come in handy. I dont use sinkers much, but all I ever did was sport fish. Aint been in a while, years, But I am thinking on getting back into it. Got about half the stuff I need.

Boolit Master
    ya know, Im spending a pretty penny on jig heads...I might as well pick up a mold since i have plenty of range scrap lead floating around.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I make & have been making cast fishing sinkers & jigs since around the mid 1980s. Usually about every 6 months. In April & again in Sept.. Make up a bunch & then use them or share them with Family or friends...

Good way to use up alloys that get "off mix" for me now a days.. Meaning alloys that are "leftovers".

Good to see that you are having fun & casting them as well.

There is a member here from Texas that has a LOT of jig & sinker molds who might chime in... Has a lot of experience in it from what I understand.

I only use about 5-6 molds for fishing stuff. I understand this other feller has close to or over 100 to chose & use..

Anyway... G'Luck! & thanks for sharing!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Keep meaning to look for a sinker mold.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    One nice thing, wrinkles are of no consequence.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I keep looking for sinker and jig molds, but cant find ones that I like - and lordy are they expensive IMO. Wish I could find some used ones.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I make & have been making cast fishing sinkers & jigs since around the mid 1980s. Usually about every 6 months. In April & again in Sept.. Make up a bunch & then use them or share them with Family or friends...

Good way to use up alloys that get "off mix" for me now a days.. Meaning alloys that are "leftovers".

Good to see that you are having fun & casting them as well.

There is a member here from Texas that has a LOT of jig & sinker molds who might chime in... Has a lot of experience in it from what I understand.

I only use about 5-6 molds for fishing stuff. I understand this other feller has close to or over 100 to chose & use..

Anyway... G'Luck! & thanks for sharing!
    TexasGrunt is who I think you are talking about, he hasn't been online for a while.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...003-TexasGrunt
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Long time cast sinker maker. I'm a big fan of the Do-it molds. Decently priced, easy to use and quality product.

My favorite is a walking type sinker that I then take to the anvil and smack with a 2 lb blacksmith hammer.

Turns it into a flat sinker that does not roll on the bottom.

I've used from 1/8th oz to 1.5 oz but my most common for river fishing is the half ounce and 5/8ths.

15 of each, LOL that is what I carry for one afternoons fishing.

When I'm casting these I go till I have a bunch. Half a 2 lb coffee can is a good batch.

I also have a split shot mold but it does not work well with wheel weights. Needs very soft pure lead or it takes a pliers to close them.

Egg sinkers are ok but pulling the rod out of the center is a pain.

Boolit Master

I put some 2 cycle oil on the rod, makes it easier to pull out. I have a couple do-it and a few lil mac molds, mostly split shot, egg and bullet sinkers. They last quite a bit so it's a long time between casting sessions.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I bought a jig mold and also made my own drop shot pencil mold. I used these to " bribe" my local suppliers of lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    TexasGrunt is who I think you are talking about, he hasn't been online for a while.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...003-TexasGrunt
    Yes. I think you are correct. I knew it was someone from Texas, but just not exactly who.
    Thanks for filling everyone one in.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I make my own jigs and powder coat them. I have an egg sinker mold and have made a few but getting the pin out is WORK. Glad I don't do a lot of fishing with natural bait.

Boolit Master

What a waste of lead.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    What a waste of lead.

This is my thought.

I have a few sinker molds, one that casts egg sinkers and one that casts tear drop sinkers, both of various weights. I think I have a jig mold somewhere too from the days I used to use a lot of light jigs (never did get around to casting any.

Now here's what I was thinking; most of us end up with a bunch of zinc wheel weights and a lot of places are banning lead in fishing lures. Has anyone tried casting sinkers out of zinc? You'd probably have to use a bigger sinker to get the same weight, but I bet it would work. As the tree huggers regulate fishing lures more, there might be a market for such things.

I just cast a bunch of jigs out of pewter

I use to cast some sinkers and jigs.My dad taught me years ago when I was small. have enough sinks and jigs that have not cast any for some time.but still have all the molds and hooks for the jigs when needed. I am not going to waste anymore lead then I need to. I make it all work for me.On my split shot mold need to get a flat steel strip to use on it. it been years that I last use that one. Also have some molds that is use for salt water fishing and also had use them for duck decoys years ago. But have not use them for some time also. Do-it-mold is about just over a hour drive from me.had got some molds from there the time that I had stop by there with my brother.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    ya know, Im spending a pretty penny on jig heads...I might as well pick up a mold since i have plenty of range scrap lead floating around.
    if your scrap lead floats it might be a touch light for sinkers

Boolit Master
    I have a series of jig molds and even 6lb and 8lb downrigger weights....that I cast fishing equipment with. Floating down the river with either a minnow or rubber tipped jig is a great way to catch springtime Walleye.

I used to bring back tons of sinkers when I was recreationally diving some 30 years ago, so many sometimes I had to make 2 trips to truck! I got into suppling some of the headboats with 12, 14, and 16 ounce I was casting from little sinkers that did not have eyes. Made a good little hustle back then. Still got that old mold!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast