WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Star bm 9 mm

Boolit Master

Star bm 9 mm

Went to the range today with my new to me star bm 9 mm police trade in. I also took my S&w model ten 38 spec 4 in barrel also police trade in . I loaded up some 38 wad cutters and four different 38 cal billets, all lee molds. Also loaded the star 9mm with some 124 grain Rn loaded with 3.5 bullseye. The star pistole really surprised me for only being 200$. The quality of the all steel pistole is very good. This thing will shoot . The trigger is also very good. This is a very good all around 9mm. The s@w model ten for a police trade in was also decent and a very very good trigger in da/ sa. Need to pratice with it more but I like them a lot

Everything you said is true. The BM is a lot of value for the money. I have two of them from the first import wave and have always been pleased with their quality and how they shoot. Can't beat the Model 10 either. And, since the 9mm and .38 Spec. are probably the most common, popular and least expensive center fire handgun cartridges, they were good choices.

Boolit Master
    For over 20 years my brother tried to convince me to get a Star 9mm. He lived over 1000 miles away, so I never got to see or shoot his. I was a total snob about it.

Then on a whim, I bought one at a gun show. Figured I couldn’t lose for under $200.

Wow was I surprised at the range! A very nice, soft shooting gun! I was/am so impressed. It is worth double the money.

If I come across another one at a fair price it’s coming home with me.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

The only thing wrong with a Star is parts are harder to find. The good news is you probably won't need parts. Great pistols. I would still prefer a Star PD .45 to anything made today for SD carry. I've owned PDs, BMs, B Supers, Firestars, and M30 and would again without hesitation. The M10 S&W is a gun everyone should own IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought one recently, local shop ordered one to see if it would sell. Might have been in the case a day. Handy little gun. Of course refused to feed anything but FMJ, an easy fix. Came w 2 mags, picked up 2 more. Took out the mag safety. Had read that 9mm 1911 mag springs would work, but do not. A little to wide to go up in the follower, so will only hold 7 rds. Shoots good, but not exactly a lightweight gun.

Boolit Master
    The star shot everthang I fed it. I kind of like the waight mild shooting.parts are drying up on these guns but I found jack first gun shop is making a lot of parts for a lot of different guns this one included. I have a Nagant revolver that I lost the hammer firing pin. They are making them new. Not cheep but it kept me from having a paper waight

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of older Stars. One in 9mm Largo and one in 9mm Luger. The 9mm Luger is one that has the takedown lever on the side. The earlier one (9mm Largo) takes down just like a Colt 1911. The newer one (9mm Luger) looks pretty much the same, but it takes down like a Browning P-35 (with a little bit different due to the takedown lever). Both of them shoot well.

I did nave one problem with the extractor of the earlier one. I suspect that someone had been shooting 9mm Luger cartridges in the 9mm Largo. I eventually found a replacement for about $10 on eBay. It dropped right in and I have not had any problems with either of them since. They do shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The only thing wrong with a Star is parts are harder to find. The good news is you probably won't need parts.
    The answer to that is to buy them in pairs. At least that's what I told the Mrs. "it's the only way to get parts dear"
    ROFLMAO
    SPJ

Boolit Master
    I can see that going over good . I already got into trouble for spending to much when I bought the star and the S&w model 10

Banned
    I picked up an old (1972) Star Super B in 9mm. It needed a little work to make it right but it turned out to be a GREAT pistol !

Good value and very accurate.

Banner Sponsor

I have a Modelo Super in 9mm Largo. I modified the barrel to be able to shoot 38 Super. Now it will feed and fire anything 9mm even the 380. The 380 will feed and fire, but doesn't have enough power to cycle the slide.
    I also have a Star PD in 45 acp, I don't leave home without it.

A BKM is always on my radar but no joy yet. (The alloy frame BM)
    And I wish we could get the full size model P .45s!

Boolit Master
    From what I have read, the alloy frame guns are unobtanium. Basically the alloy frame guns did not hold up to use, so really rare to find one. But yea would be nice, the CZ75 PCR I bought recently is alloy and so much lighter than normal. Its lighter loaded with 14rds then the BM with 8rds.

Boolit Master

That's the problem when comparing older handguns with modern technology.

I have a Star BM, and an Astra A-70. Very similar handguns - both compact, 9mm, all steel. Both shoot well, both are cool as he77. Both are pigs to carry.

My S&W Shield in 9mm is much more comfortable to carry, about the same size, and MUCH lighter.

Not nearly as cool, unfortunately.

Aim Surplus has or had some BMs in need of refinishing for cheap recently.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I also have a Star PD in 45 acp, I don't leave home without it.
    I had use of a Star PD for about a month many years ago. That is one fine pistol. So is a Star Model B (9mm) that belongs to a friend.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Star model PS 45 acp , it was stolen in 1995 and I still miss that pistol. It was an accurate shooter, had no grip safety and a good trigger. Well made and would feed any bullet profile .
    I won a trophy with it using my cast SWC boolit handloads in a 1911 match . Wish I had it back.
    I have a lot of respect for the Star brand.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Checked out some videos on the BD. Its like a 1911 and a Browning High Power made a baby.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.