Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New NOE 151 grain 9mm mold

Boolit Master
    Depending on your barrel and chamber, I'd bet money you'd gain accuracy sizing at 357 or 358. Try some of all three diameters and let your gun decide. I run an overall length at 1.125, but that is with traditional lube.

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Thanks tazman. Would you (or anybody else) want to share what your OAL using this bullet powder-coated turns out to be? I will probably size mine to .356, so I may not have a problem, but I guess it never hurts to ask.

exile
    I don't powder coat any more. It didn't make any difference in accuracy and I don't get leading anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't powder coat any more. It didn't make any difference in accuracy and I don't get leading anyway.
    I don't know what it is about powder-coating, I guess I just enjoy doing it. I used to do the 45/45/10 method, but had concerns about long-term storage of loaded rounds, tried powder-coating and liked it.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Its all different strokes for different folks, Exile! I wonder if anyone has ever just tried powder coating the bearing surface of a boolit so as not to affect the seating depth compared to a traditionally lubed boolit. Might be something to try. Just dipping the boolit up to the start of the taper in powder?

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Its all different strokes for different folks, Exile! I wonder if anyone has ever just tried powder coating the bearing surface of a boolit so as not to affect the seating depth compared to a traditionally lubed boolit. Might be something to try. Just dipping the boolit up to the start of the taper in powder?
    That would be a best case situation but difficult to do I think. Getting the powder to adhere to just a portion of the boolit.
    Not certain exactly how to accomplish that. I had trouble getting powder to adhere evenly as it was. With a spray gun, you would need to mask a portion of the boolit somehow.

Boolit Buddy
    If you're concerned about PC affecting seating depth, you may want to give HiTek a try. It goes on much more thinly and evenly. Or maybe try some of Smokes clear PC. That stuff goes on really well, is much more even and smooth than other PC.

Boolit Master
    Ive never tried PC but I've thought about it. I bought a Star instead of a toaster oven. Seemed a good deal at the time

Boolit Master
    sigep1764

I have never thought of powder-coating half a boolit, but have always wondered about how to keep powder-coat out of the hollow-point portion of a pure lead cast boolit. Wondering if that would cause this particular boolit to expand at relatively low velocities out of a 9mm case. Or if a pure lead cast boolit would lead your barrel once it had been powder-coated. I usually powder-coat twice (shake and bake method) and that has worked well for me, although from what folks are saying it might not work well for this boolit. Thanks for all the responses.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    How about some pictures of this boolit in whatever form you cast and lube it, along with a gun you like to shoot it out of? (I just got mine so I can't join in just yet)

I like pictures of guns and boolits!

exile
    Last edited by exile; 05-12-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_181737.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	220321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_181800.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	220322

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_181737.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	220321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180512_181800.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	220322
    Thanks for the picture! It is much easier now to see where the boolit should be seated from your picture. How do your smaller pistols like this boolit? I am very curious how my S & W Shield will like this boolit. I read somewhere that you are not supposed to shoot 147 grain bullets through the Shield, but have not checked the manual to be sure.

exile

Boolit Master
    I shoot them through my Shield. Sized .357, seated 1.120.

Boolit Master
    Every last one of those guns will make a fist sized hole at 30 feet of I'm having an ok day. I actually shoot the glock 26 best, I have small hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12