MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New NOE 151 grain 9mm mold

Boolit Master

New NOE 151 grain 9mm mold

I notice that NOE has a new 151 grain 9mm truncated-cone hollow-point mold. It has no lube groove. Any thoughts on this one? Is the nose short enough for 357 Sig? Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    You better have a good throat if that thing drops at 359 plus coating. I know you can size down, but if there is little or no throat, that thing is going to sit deep with the edge of the cone on the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    It looks like that bullet is included with the .38 Special and .357 molds. A bearing surface .375 is a lot of bullet buried inside a 9mm case.

I'm not familiar .357 Sig, but does appear to have a real short nose.

I've always wondered why NOE doesn't have a better selection of molds around 147 grains. They've got a wide variety from 115 to 135, but nothing I'm interested that's heavier.

Boolit Master
    I know Ive said it before, but if you want heavy in the 9mm, the Elco mold is a good way to go that solves a lot of problems. twin step nose lets it sit longer within a barrel with a short throat, bevel base, and hollow point is available. In solid form it drops almost 160 grains for me.

I agree with sigep1764. The 155-TC(ELCO) was designed specifically for the 9mm and works well there.
    I use it in the hollow point configuration where it drops at 147 grains for me.
    So far it works well in every 9mm I have tried it in.
    It also drops at .358 from my mold, which makes it usable in the 38/357 if you wish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I agree with sigep1764. The 155-TC(ELCO) was designed specifically for the 9mm and works well there.
    I use it in the hollow point configuration where it drops at 147 grains for me.
    So far it works well in every 9mm I have tried it in.
    It also drops at .358 from my mold, which makes it usable in the 38/357 if you wish.
    Sounds like good advice to me, if I want a heavier mold I will go with the 155 grain ELCO mold. Thanks guys.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

DO a search on this site for tc elco.
    It will bring up several threads about that boolit and how well it works.

Boolit Master
    DO a search on this site for tc elco.
    It will bring up several threads about that boolit and how well it works.
    I just looked on NOE's website and it appears that at the present time there is no hollow-point option available for the 155 grain ELCO boolit. I hope that will change sometime in the near future.

exile

Boolit Master
    If you call him or email him, he will prolly make whatever you'd like, as long as he's made it before. And boy howdy, he's made a tone of HP Elco molds.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    If you call him or email him, he will prolly make whatever you'd like, as long as he's made it before. And boy howdy, he's made a tone of HP Elco molds.
    +1^^^^^^
    Probably better to call. He doesn't answer emails nearly as well as he answers the phone.

Boolit Master
    +1^^^^^^
    Probably better to call. He doesn't answer emails nearly as well as he answers the phone.
    Just read some threads on the Elco 155 grain bullet and looked at pictures of the hp version. Would really like to have one of these in a four-cavity aluminum mold.

exile

Boolit Master
    CALL HIM! It is the only boolit I cast for 9mm now. I think I have had it for 2 or 3 years. Its made somewhere around 20-25k. I have other 9mm molds, but I like practicing with what I carry. And its so soft shooting sitting in front of Red Dot.

Boolit Mold
    There is a new group buy that would seem to fit this bill. I'm going for it for my 9mm; check it out.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...etition-boolit

I've run the Saeco 158grTC in my 9mm, a lot of bearing surface inside the case, but can be done safely.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    There are a great number of the 155 grain TC ELCO molds listed now on NOE' s website. I thought you might want to know!

exile

Boolit Master
    I bought the Accurate Mold 140G. It is a downsized version of the HG #68, I made my first run and they came out at 138 grs. I have not loaded them yet but I did get some Power Pistol which is formulated for 9 mm and 40's.
    Time will tell
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    I'll add another plug for the NOE Elco mold. I use it in my IDPA matches so I can be sure to knock down any popper targets, and it's good in my Ruger .357. Plus I think it looks cool.

It's also the bullet that got me into Hi-Tek coating. I was having some issues with PC causing the nose of that boolit to be a little too large and forcing me to seat deeper into the case than I wanted to. hi-Tek solved that problem

Boolit Master
    Anybody else having difficulty with seating depth with this boolit when using the shake and bake method of powder-coating? Thanks.

exile

You have to remember that powder coating increases the diameter of the nose portion as well as the driving bands. It always means you need to seat a bit deeper than you would if not powder coated.
    I assume you size the boolit after powder coating. You can usually see where the taper for the nose starts quite easily after sizing. Put that point at the mouth of the case and you shouldn't have a problem unless the throat in your barrel is nonexistent.

Boolit Master
    You have to remember that powder coating increases the diameter of the nose portion as well as the driving bands. It always means you need to seat a bit deeper than you would if not powder coated.
    I assume you size the boolit after powder coating. You can usually see where the taper for the nose starts quite easily after sizing. Put that point at the mouth of the case and you shouldn't have a problem unless the throat in your barrel is nonexistent.
    Thanks tazman. Would you (or anybody else) want to share what your OAL using this bullet powder-coated turns out to be? I will probably size mine to .356, so I may not have a problem, but I guess it never hurts to ask.

exile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast