Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Need rings for lyman centennial edition #1

Boolit Master

Need rings for lyman centennial edition #1

Hey guys,
    Picked up another Lyman Centennial edition Ruger #1. I am looking for a rear scope ring for it. It didn't have one with it when I bought it, and was missing most of the accessories that came with it as well. Anyone know where I can get one of those rings from?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	216600
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

I would have a conversation with customer service at Malcolm/Leatherwood (google) - they might be able to hook you up.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Leatherwood rings can work, but a very big step down in quality from the Lyman rings. I'd keep checking ebay for original Lyman rings to show up. They aren't cheap when they do, but they'll be correct for your scope and gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I would check with MVA and DZ Arms to see if theirs will work with it. The MVA is a malcomp style that uses unertal style blocks and the DZ is a extended elevation unertal style mount that dosnt have any clicks ( as per NRA rules). I believe the MVAs come as a front rear set, Front as wind adjustments also. rear has both wind age and elevation. These come in several different ranges the Long range is supposed to be good for around 1200yds. Also with the right block heights elevation can be "tuned to the rifle for zero range desired and max elevation travel. Both are good mounts and very useable.

MVA sells both styles of mounts. The Malcolm style you described, and the old Lyman style without clicks. Unfortunately their Lyman style is like the less expensive Lyman scopes used, so it has a knurled knob and a knurled locking ring, and not the micrometer click style used on the Centennial Ruger models.
    The Malcolm style MVA mounts would be a great step up from the typical Lyman Centennial mounts, and give the gun a lot more range in elevation adjustment too.

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 03-19-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. Does anyone make any type of target sights that will fit these bases? I have another centennial edition that doesn't have a scope and was wondering if I could set it up as an iron sight rifle.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Yes, there are Lyman globe front sights made to slip right on the typical Lyman/Unertl bases. The rear is a bit trickier, as they make sights for the rear, but the location so far from your eye might be an issue for a good sight picture. I believe Talley used to sell a rear sight that fit these bases.

Boolit Grand Master

The rear tang sight can be done but its tricky on the ruger due to the tang mounted safety. A Bridge style mount needs to be fabricated to sit the sight over the safety and the safety extended to one side so it can still function and be used. Like the side hammer extensions for some rifles when a scope is mounted. Canadian shooters are allowed to use the number 1s in bpcr and have done this type set up. Would be a fun project do make and do, but would be expensive to accomplish also. A new safety button could be made with the needed offset and installed. The new knob / button could be thinner where its under the base also.

Or simply delete the safety. Old single shots didn't use them, and a safe shooter doesn't need one. I have a friend who deleted his for a tang sight, and made a piece to mount a base through the hole for the safety, and then tapped that to mount the tang sight. So no extra holes in the receiver to mount it, and he can go back later if he wants to.

Boolit Grand Master

The old single shots all had exposed hammers that condition can be seen, Other than the brochardt which was striker fired and did have a safety. The half cock notch was the safety on the early single shots. And now if any form of competition is being considered then most state in the rules the safety on the rifle needs to be working. this means half cock or actual safety.

Boolit Master

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ble-steel-blue

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/11/ren...#axzz5AEuKE42W

PLUS

R. NEAL RICE Arvada Colorado and also Lamson Precision made base extensions for the Ruger #1 to attach receiver sights
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-21-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The old single shots all had exposed hammers that condition can be seen, Other than the brochardt which was striker fired and did have a safety. The half cock notch was the safety on the early single shots. And now if any form of competition is being considered then most state in the rules the safety on the rifle needs to be working. this means half cock or actual safety.
    I understand why they have a safety, and why lawyers are involved in possible lawsuits if a manufacturer made them without a safety. But somebody could flip the safety off and still have an accident, so a safety doesn't fix stupid. Seeing a hammer cocked doesn't make it safe if there's stupid behind the trigger. I'd personally not have any issue if I omitted the safety on a single shot I owned. I'd likely reinstall it if I ever sold it later, as I wouldn't know what the next guy's gun handling procedures are.

Boolit Grand Master

My 1000 yd gun has had the safety removed from it also, not required and the only time a round is chambered is just before the rifle is fired. ( The rounds sit on the follower longer than in the chamber usually). But this is a unique situation mostly. All my NRA match rifles (Over the Coarse) have working safeties do to the rules. On the 1000 yd gun when not in use or cease fire the bolt is out and separate. This is a 18lb rifle and dosnt get carried far LOL. When cased the bolt is out when changing targets at the local range its in my pocket, at a match it was in the case with the rifle but out of the action.
    I fully agree with you firearms safety is with the shooter completely, mechanics can always fail or be forgotten. On a live fire range no matter what the precautions the idots will always find a way. I am just very hesitant to recommend removing disabling a safety, unless I personally know the shooter and skill use and or his qualifications.

Safeties have a place, but it's hunting, not at matches. Every match I ever attended required we used chamber flags so everyone could see at a glance the chamber was empty. Not sure what a safety would do better than a chamber flag?
    When I hunt with my old single shots I don't carry my rifle with a round in the chamber anyway. I use a butt cuff to hold 5 rounds and I simply drop one in when I'm ready to take game.

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 03-21-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Yes, isn't that the same link you posted above?

Boolit Master

Yes, and did y'all notice the tang sight is mounted ON the safety,
    so the rifle has a safety and a tang sight
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Yes, and I'd guess for hunting or casual shooting it would be great. I wouldn't use it for match or target shooting. The sight itself isn't target quality, and would guess there's some play in it if it's got enough clearance to move easily.

Boolit Master

Ok, I shopped around and haven't found any sights or mounts at what I would considerable a reasonable price. I am not dumping hundreds of dollars on a sketchy mount for a dim 4x scope. Guess these are rich mans toys. I will just stick this one in the safe next to the other one until I can find a buyer for it.