Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Concentricity gauge

Boolit Grand Master

Concentricity gauge

Ninety five+ percent of my handloading for the last 30 years has been handgun cartridges and I have never had a need for a concentricity gauge for my handloads. I was looking at various vendors and at this time I don't care to spend $150.00+ on a tool that I'll use for just one rifle (maybe two if I get bored and measure my Garand ammo). So has anyone made their own? I like quality DIY tools so I might give it a try. I do know I'll have to purchase a dial indicator though...

BTW; have been a machinist/mechanic all my working days and familiar with measuring tools. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a concentricity gauge for rifle cartridges.
    Last edited by mdi; 03-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

v blocks and a dial indicator will do just about anything any gauge you can buy will.

Boolit Buddy
    If you like making your own stuff you might get some ideas here - I made these in my home shop.

And a video of it working here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFn9GQYvSc

1066 - Nice piece of work. Thanks for sharing.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    1066 you should be proud of yourself, those are better than almost anything you can buy. I have a Forster & a Neco its hard turning the case smoothly with your index finger.

I have built a couple. The last photo is an attachment I built for the first one that makes it a snap to measure case wall thickness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AD5364D4-8D1E-46DD-9F47-A34CADE5B0AB.jpg   A727D823-F671-4AE7-8656-B99AD4DC3CD2.jpg   C45F0E59-FF22-4641-B121-7C61FC2B3A0D.jpg  

Boolit Master
    If you are a machinist you can see .003 runout at the tip of the bullet by rolling your ammo on a smooth flat work surface like a table or counter top.
    EDG

I'm not a machinist and I can see that. I can see even less runout when I roll a case over a mirror.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

One of the more enlightening things about having one of these is you can measure cases before and after sizing and note the effect.

It taught me that the dies make more of a difference than what kind of press you use. Also the case might have come out of the rifle perfect but a die can cause it to become messed up.

Even little things like an expander pulled back through the neck can cause runout in the case.

If the case is not right, there is little chance that things get better when you stick a bullet in it.

Boolit Master

I've had the RCBS Case Master for years. The price is reasonable for what you get, since it doesn't just measure runout. You can use it to measure case wall thickness, find incipient case head separations, measure COAL, and probably some other things I've forgotten about.

It's the Case Master that got me from 3/4" to below 1/2" groups @100 for my 222, and still saves me from fliers with everything else.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Along with the concentricity gage a ball mike or thickness gage for checking wall thickness is a big help. Knowing the brass is concentric thickness wise around the case can answer a lot of questions. I believe the rcbs version can check this at the neck and just above the case head. Uneven wall thickness causes a lot of run out and banana shaped cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks fellers. I don't have access to the machine tools I once had since I retired, so I'll prolly just find an inexpensive set up or just purchase one (but it would be used for only two cartridges; 308 and 30-06). I guess I was thinking about a simple DIY checker. I did have some "tube mics" that could be used to check neck/wall thicknesses. Now if I could just remember where I stored them 9 years ago...
    My Anchor is holding fast!