WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Mod 29-2

Boolit Buddy

Mod 29-2

So I picked up my s&w out of being held captive from California jail. Now to go shoot it and can't wait. My first 44mag, so I loaded some Sierra bullets (sorry) and cast up some boolit and sized and lubed them to .429 because that was the size die I had and figured it to be right. Now I'm confused though with sizing not to get leading. Some say go .001 to .002 over throat diameter while others say over slugged barrel size. One thing I know is I don't like leading especially heavy leading. So what is the general consensus on sizing and to what diameter cylinder throat or rifling? I will have to find a set of correct grips for it, the ones on it are good for shooting but not for admiring. Attachment 216586Attachment 216587
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Size to throat diameter. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Size to throat diameter. Gp
    Make sure your throat diameter is larger than the bore!

If your alloy is too soft or you try to drive the boolit too fast. You'll still get leading!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the throat is larger than bore. I haven't slugged the bore yet but a 429 sized goes right through cylinder and larger than bore. A fast measure of throats theyre around 430 431. I'll measure everything better before I buy a new sizing die.
    Last edited by Lethemgo; 03-18-2018 at 01:48 AM.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Master
    You sized to .429" right? This may sound too simple but just go out and try the bullets for goodness sake.
    If they lead then do something about it. Dont start worrying until there is a reason for it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Recently produced .44 Magnum S&W revolvers have tight cylinder throats dimensioned to give best results with jacketed bullets.

My 1986 production S&W Model 544 Texas Commemorative .44-40 has cylinder throats which are .4285" and the barrel groove diameter is .429".

Recent production Model 29s I have checked are likewise. They shoot well with cast bullets of .429" diameter and don't need to be reamed.

If cylinder throats are more than 0.001" smaller than barrel groove diameter, accuracy with cast will be affected. In THAT case I would recommend sending your cylinder to DougGuy for him to hone the throats to .4305" which will give excellent results with either cast or jacketed bullets...

BUT, my advice is to shoot your revolver first and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I purchased my 29-2 in 1975. It has really large throats and shoots best with bullets .433" diameter. Try the .429s first like Outpost75 if that doesn't work check the measurement of the throats

Boolit Master
    Got my Model 29-2 for Christmas 1974. It has .432 throats. I've shot .429, .430, .431 and .432 size in it. It shot everything really well. Never got any leading to speak of as the bore is really smooth. Just shoot it and see what it likes. Every 8 3/8 Model 29 I've shot has been very user friendly. Have fun!

My 29-2 excells with .432 cast bullets. Does not do well with cast or jacketed .429.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Tis true that more recent Smith 44s have smaller throats for jacketed bullets, but your 29-2 will predate that trend. I have owned two 29-2s and my record shows throats of .433 and .434. I owned two Model 24s and the throats were .433 and .4335. I also own a 1931 Hand Ejector in 44 Special with throats of .432. I have RCBS make me a sizing die in .433 for thee handguns.

Currently I own an early 90s 629 and it has throats of .431 and a bore of .430. It is far and away the most accurate handgun I own. I size bullets .432 for this handgun.

You are going to have to known, with precision, your revolvers throats and go from there. The temper of your alloy and pressure of your loads will also have a bearing.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.