Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Enlighten me - 50 Beowulf

Boolit Master

Enlighten me - 50 Beowulf

Getting ready to order a 50 Beowulf upper for my AR. Looking for your favorite loads.
    I got some info off the Anderson Arms site.
    Have brass, dies, various cast from my 50 AE and 500 S&W
    Whatcha guys got ???
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

You got my curiosity is what you and i got lol. The .277 Wolverine has my attention after ironing out the loads for my Grendel.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

my exact loads wont do you much good as I use wc297 and you cant buy it anymore. Ill give you one bit of advice though. Stay away from little gun. It burns HOT. I tested 297, 110 and lilgun one day buy shooting a 10 round mag of each as fast as I could. The 297 and 110 had the barrel hot but in a few minutes it could be handled. The little gun load had the barrel so hot it was smoking heavily and you could have about lit a cigarette off of it. Ive got a couple group buy 501 molds and one ballistic cast. Ive tried a bunch of different loads with all three and never found anything that shot under 2 inch at a 100 yards. Most are 3-4 inch. Anymore I don't even fool with them. When I was doing it pc coating wasn't talked about and those large cast bullets had lots of lube and fouled up an action pretty quickly and cleaning wasn't fun. I bought some reineer solids and hps to try. the hp with 297 shoots 1.25 for 5 at a 100 and the solid shoots right at an inch. Ive used both on pigs and deer and had great results. Be a bit careful with shot placement using the hp though as it does some damage. All the game except for one animal were shot with reineers. that was the water buffalo my wife shot with it using kelly Shelps (belt mountain) copper punch bullets. I don't shoot my 50 like I do 5.56 or 9mm ars and the reineers are cheap enough to me to not justify the messy cleaning and double the group size but like I said ive never shot a pc coated bullet in mine and that might change my mind because even 3-4 inch 100 yard groups are good enough for 100 yard deer hunting and if the range was possibly going to be farther id take a different gun out. At least the pc would be clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    Getting ready to order a 50 Beowulf upper for my AR. Looking for your favorite loads.
    I got some info off the Anderson Arms site.
    Have brass, dies, various cast from my 50 AE and 500 S&W
    Whatcha guys got ???
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-17-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    rcmaveric,lol

Hey Lloyd, Thanks for the heads up on little gun, Lots of loads on the Anderson Arms site using that. I keep a lot of 296 around - I'll try that.
    I also thought of PC also to keep the fouling down.
    I have a Mountain Moulds 400 g SWC, some monsters that John Ross designed, and in the buy for Dukes 385 g HP (waiting on the last 5 buyers is killing me !!!).
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    So your using ranier bullets loyd? I’m going to try my hand at casting it but I did the figures on buying the sizer and buying the mold and shooting it 1000 times I don’t know if it’s be worth it but maybe I’ll shoot it 2 k and it’ll pay for itself

Boolit Bub
    I run 50 Beowulf. I currently cast a 506 and 594 grain boolit and run them subsonic. I've also loaded 400gr Winchester Silver tops, 350 and 500gr xtp, and have some 325gr gold dot on my bench to load. My powder of choice is accurate #9.

Boolit Master
    I can shed some light on that round in an AR;

Get an A1 buttstock and add the most cushy butt pad you can find.

Lay in a couple spare lowers for when the Beowolf chews them up.

Had one when they first came out. Left me thinking why I did not just scope an auto loading slug gun.

I did have fun with it and hope the same for you.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 03-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Ok. I am new to casting and I have searched the board for specific load on the Beowulf. I probably won’t cast for the 50BE, but I have bought some Cast Performance 500gr and looking at some 600gr. I found some load data for the 600 he but have not found found anything specific for 500gr Cast, just 500gr jacketed. What are you guys using for 500 grain cast. I also notice you’re using / resizing to .501? Do you have any issues of cycling ? Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper895 View Post
    I run 50 Beowulf. I currently cast a 506 and 594 grain boolit and run them subsonic. I've also loaded 400gr Winchester Silver tops, 350 and 500gr xtp, and have some 325gr gold dot on my bench to load. My powder of choice is accurate #9.
    Care to share your load data?

Boolit Master
    I use a super dose of reloader 7 and a group buy mold from noe I got in 2010 that weighs about 400 grs plain based and coated. Clocks around 1500 fps sized .501 the weight of powder is 46 gr according to “my data”.
    Tried 4198 and it failed miserably in accuracy, tried lil gun that failed to. Mine has been ultra picky.

Boolit Mold
    That isn’t too hot as all the 400gr data (jacketed) I’ve seen for RL7 goes as high as 48.6 @1760
    Last edited by LTC Richard b; 07-30-2018 at 04:20 PM.