WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger single-six convert .22/.22wmr grips

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger single-six convert .22/.22wmr grips

I once again seek assistance/direction from one of the many knowledgeable folks here. To wit, I have the Ruger Model 626 -- their 6.5" .22 / .22wmr single six convertible revolver. My one and only complaint with this 1981-manufactured firearm is the grips being shorter than I wish they were. I do not have huge hands -- but the 6.5" barrel regularly proves the grips as too short for me, with only 2 1/2 fingers able to support the firearm for shooting. Vendors I've researched do not list dimensions -- just, terms like "factory".
    If you are aware of a grip which is longer than the ones which came with (new) firearm, , I'd surely appreciate learning of it.
    Thank you!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC--the Pachmayr Presentation grip sets for the Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk add about 1/8" to 1/4" to the overall length of the plow handle grips present on those models. I am about 75% sure that Ruger Blackhawk "PachPres" grip sets also fit Single-Six grip frames, but verify that before spending your money. I have the same issue with OEM grips on the Ruger single actions--the frames for same are half a finger-breadth short. On my BHs in 30 Carbine and 41 Magnum, the Pachmayr Presentation grip add just enough grip length to enable a secure grasp, and thicken the diameter a bit as well. The down-side to these "grabby" neoprene grip sets is that they don't allow the SAA-style "plow handle" to "roll up" in the hand the way that less grabby wood or hard rubber will. I am not one who uses that shooting method, but some folks adhere to it. FYI.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Well, you have a few options.
    One, slip the little finger under the bottom of the grip, as a lot of folks do.
    Two, you can get a set of customs made,, that are extended/longer to allow for a better purchase of the little finger.
    Three, get a place like Hogue or Herret's to make a set, with a tracing of your hand.
    Four, wait & do a search on-line for auctions or sales of grips already made that are oversized.

I have a set of oversized grips in my stash of stuff somewhere,, that are longer. I need to drag them out & sell them.

I also learned how to make my own grips several years ago. One of the things I did was to eliminate the angled taper of the sides of the grip as seen on the factory grips. My own grips are flat bottomed. It adds a little more to get a grip on.

I've added Altamont's grips to all my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes. They're thicker than factory and give me a much better grip. This is the one I've got on all of them.

Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've added Altamont's grips to all my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes. They're thicker than factory and give me a much better grip. This is the one I've got on all of them.

Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis
    Thanks -- BUT, I checked the Ruger site, and their "Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis" grips are unavailable presently. Might there be other options?
    geo