Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Wannemacher/Tulsa Gun Show....any advice?

Boolit Master

Wannemacher/Tulsa Gun Show....any advice?

My wife and I are thinking about going to the Wannemacher Gun Show in Tulsa this April.

I understand it's quite an event. Does anyone have any tidbits of advice they picked up from their visits? The ads says it's 11 acres under roof...that's freakin' gigantic!

We're also looking for a good place to stay...I guess we just look for a Marriot or the like.
    [

My gun club has a booth at the Wanenmacher shows. There will be lots of people from all over the US there. I mostly look for powder and primers there. I can buy from the local dealers cheaper, but I still check. Gun prices will be all over the place, Have not bought a gun at the show in a long time, there will be a local dealer that has the one I want a little cheaper. Saturday will have the largest crowd, did I say lot's of people? I do mean lot's, and that is being conservative! If you do come to the show look for the Red Castle booth and say to the guy,s.
    Last edited by billyb; 03-16-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    It's a lot of walking, its a lot of people, at least once a shot has been accidentally fired. You'll see a lot of the same stuff over and over, but there is also rare/unique items, and as mentioned the prices are all over too.

Boolit Master

I believe you can still get advance tickets online. It cuts back on the line waiting. When you decide to take a break remember what isle you were on. When you see a smoking deal don't wait. I have missed deals where I said I'll think about it and when I finally decided it was a great deal someone else got it. Have some idea of what you want and keep moving it's a big show and a lot to see.

Have fun
    gmsharps

Boolit Master

I managed a Lyman 310 set with Steel handles in 218 Bee for less than I should have paid for just the dies. Mint condition.
    I even got to visit with some CastBoolit members there!

Boolit Grand Master

Wear comfortable walking shoes. Carry a small note book to take note of anything that you may want to go back to look at again. Have fun and enjoy the show.

There are plenty of places to stay in Tulsa but they fill up pretty fast. I would start making reservations now.

Edit to add: With a show this big I have a strategy. I usually start on the lower level and circle the room. Then I go back to row 1 and work the rows, back and forth. Then I do the same for the much larger upper level. I've covered the whole show in a day but you have to hump it.
    Last edited by lightman; 03-17-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The notebook and pen is a must you'll never be able to remember where you saw what you wanted. When we went, we got exhibitor passes ( i think thats what they were called) that allowed us access friday before the show. Most dealers were setting up at this time, but it allowed us to get an idea before the craziness on saturday. i was bale to find an item and had time to think/research friday night and was able to head right back to that table saturday morning. the passes were something like $100 but for such an event may be worth it depending on what you're looking for. Forgot to mention we stayed at the embassy suites hotel, was pretty nice, gun friendly, had a sign welcoming people for the show, people carrying guns around was kinda cool. Also people open carrying, was nice to see, different than my neck of the woods for sure. There is a link on the gun show page for hotels they recommend and some have discount rates if you mention the gun show.
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 03-16-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Good shoes are a must.

Get a shoulder bag, or sling pack, to carry water and snacks.

Food prices are crazy, food is ****. Bring your own, even if you have to buy a Subway sammich and carry it in.

Parking is free, the lot is very large. Later arrival equals walking. Free shuttles run frequently, just flag one down. WRITE DOWN YOUR PARKING AREA !

Prices are everywhere. You will find 15 of something, with 15 prices. When you find your price, move on it - it won't be there when you come back.

Related - lots of good deals walking around in someone's arms. If you see something that someone is carrying, don't be shy, ask about it. You may get a smoking deal.

It's huge. I usually spend 6-7 hours there, and have never come close to seeing the entire show. I love that show. Sometimes I buy nothing, but I always enjoy myself.

Edit - I was there 3 times before I even found the 2nd floor. Turns out, I was on it - there's a lower level too....

Boolit Master
    Have fun and tell me how many Contender barrels I’ll miss out on... Todd/3leg

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always wanted to go to that show.
    To poor now.
    Last show I went to in the lower 48, was the last Great Western in Pomona.
    That was a great show.
    Pomona closed it down.
    Our gang got a table as a home base, and we took turns watching it.
    Spent around $1000.00 at the show.
    We all spent a bunch of money there.
    Turns out Pomona didn't appreciate it, or want us back.

Boolit Master
    Wanenmacher’s is epic! Prepare to be totally mind-boggled. The experience of going past row after row of Stuff, without the opposite wall getting any closer, is unnerving. Bring a compass,or something; I got turned around a couple times and it actually took a while to recognize that I was seeing the same Stuff I’d gone through already.

I was there both days, start to finish, and went past all the tables, but I still didn’t see the whole show. Tables that were covered or crowded might not be there at all the next day, and hanging around isn’t an option if you want to cover the whole thing. People started packing up around lunch time on Sunday and it got pretty thin by 3PM.

The motels they cite on their web site are all within comfortable driving distance of the show. Tulsa is laid out pretty straightforwardly, so it’s easy to get around, and the Show is easy to find. If you get there an hour early, you can park almost at the front entrance. If you get there an hour late, you park out on the far reaches, and wait an hour in line.

Say Hi to the Golden Driller out front, whose labors provide us with the wherewithal to drive to these Shows, regardless of distance.

Definitely worth the trip; for me the better part of two day’s drive. I have to get to Denver one of these days, too!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've always wanted to go to that show.
    To poor now.
    Last show I went to in the lower 48, was the last Great Western in Pomona.
    That was a great show.
    Pomona closed it down.
    Our gang got a table as a home base, and we took turns watching it.
    Spent around $1000.00 at the show.
    We all spent a bunch of money there.
    Turns out Pomona didn't appreciate it, or want us back.
    I used to go to the Pomona shows. I thought Tulsa was better.
    Tulsa used their camera system and "faces" software to track a thief dealer and arrest him.

Boolit Buddy

If you are there both days, all day long, you have just 15 seconds per table. If you see it and want it, buy it, you will have a hard time getting back, Great show. You will see things you've never seen before.

Boolit Bub
    This is a show that I’d like to attend. I’m on the west coast so it would be a mini vacation. The Great Western Show in Pomona was a good show. I imagine Tulsa is bigger.

Boolit Buddy
    Bookworm gave good advice on the shoes. Your back will be killing you by the time you zigzag through 11 acres of awesome. If you plan to buy ammo in bulk like 500 round cases you need a transport system. I use a Harbor Freight fold up aluminum 2 wheeler. A canvas bag or something like a Walmart reusable grocery bag will help carry individual items you might find. Be aware it will be crowded and sometimes you will get "stuck" and not be able to progress for 5 or 10 minutes when a group of people linger with a friend making a purchase. Very limited places to sit as they are taken up by wives and kids waiting for Dad to do his thing. It will take you 6 to 7 hours just to go through and check out all the tables unless you are skimming just looking for a couple of items then it will take you 5 hours. when you find a deal you must decide to buy or not on the spot. If you try to come back and buy a item it will most likely be gone. Watch those people carrying items for sale. Don't be bashfull ask their price that is usually where the deals are. I used to go every year and had a great time. Age has taken a toll on my back and I can't do the walking anymore. Doesn't stop me from sitting at the entrance waiting for that deal to walk by. So if you see a old guy in overalls sitting in a sports chair near the entrance say hello it might be me.

Boolit Buddy

Will be there both days. Great show.
    I'm a lefty, got to see J&J sales, he deals in left hand items, and a large supply of shotgun barrels. located downstairs, near North door.
    And you are correct, good shoes are a must!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I have gone that last few years and we love it. Always something new to see each time. Some of this is repeat but...

1. Know what you want and are willing to pay for it. I tell my wife what I am looking for - usually 3-5 specific items and she scans ahead of me and that saves me a bunch of time.

2. I carry a small back pack with snacks and water. Food is ridiculous there and the lines long. There are places to sit down and eat.

3. I take a bore light and a polish cloth and when I ask to look at something and put it back I rub all of the fingerprints off. Dealers appreciate this.

4. Be prepared to get bumped in to a great deal. It is part of it. You have to be persistent in getting down the isles. Yes. they crowded but well laid out and you should not have a problem going in a pattern.

5. I agree with the paper and pencil to write things down. Sometimes i use my camera and take a picture.

6. Some people deal and others do not, you will figure it out. If Saturday is slow for dealers, there can be some good buys on Sunday.

7. There is a lot more than just firearms, there are wars items from the civil war, and others including indian atrifacts as well. Man neat things to explore other than just firearms.

8. I have purchased ammo and bullets, heavy things there. I just have them put my name on them and pick it up as I am leaving at the end of the day.

9. I have started in various places each year and it never seems to make much difference, just decide how you are going to go and keep moving. Maintain your search pattern.

10. Good idea to wear a different pair of shoes each day unless you have some special ones. Dress in layers as it can go from hot to cold in there. That is where the back pack can come in as well.

11. Do get there early in the morning. There are huge lines and they sell tickets before you get to the first of the line, but have the correct change.

12. Have fun and don't get frustrated. We make it fun, looking for specific items and when we find them, it is fun. We also go to some nice places to eat and enjoy that as well.

13. I don't think we have ever come home empty handed, always a deal or two if you look for them.

Have fun, you will have a blast.

Boolit Grand Master
    As said, good comfortable shoes and socks, notepad (you will not remember where that item was, trust me on this!!), I use a fanny pack that also holds bottles of water and granola bars, tylenol if you need it (my age I do), plenty of money (some years I leave with enough gas money to get home, some years I don't buy much).
    You will get bumped alot and come close to tripping over those that seem to have one of those little pull carts that is always in the way(hate those things, almost kicked one once and almost fell over one a few times).
    You never know what you will find on a table. Treasures to trash.
    Have fun.