Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Nuber of guns manufactured in the US.

Boolit Master

Nuber of guns manufactured in the US.

If you like to wade thru statistics on guns, the first website is about guns manufactured in the US. The years represented are different depending on the data used.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...states-annual-
    statistical-update-2017/download

The information used in the site below is taken from the data above. It is used to give you the top 20 states in gun ownership. I don't know much about statistics I don't know how one would use these figures to get a real number of total guns in the US.

http://www.wnd.com/gallery/20-u-s-st...ns-per-capita/

Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Still a lot of cowboys in Wyoming.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Well I have 3 Minnesota guns that I know they don't have my paperwork on.
    One from South Dakota that will point them to my father in law. Pawn shop find, got him to fill out the paperwork for me.

Most of the rest have had 4473's filled out for. But even so you mean to tell me I am sitting on more than a thousand ND residents share of guns? WHoooooooooooooooo boy.

He who dies with the most toys wins and I'm sitting pretty!

(Late starter, but pretty happy with what I have)

I suspect that those figures are missing anywhere from half to a third of the total.

Grandfather to grandson, interfamily swapping, etc.

In Remembrance
    LOL I'm a callin hogwash on their supposed statistics, heck it was not even a decent guess.

And since when did DC become a state anyway. lol

Boolit Master

I agree. There are way more guns and gun owners than they will ever be able to estimate. Guns just don't go bad or break down. Taken care of and they can and will last for several generations. Some states have vastly different laws for inter family transfers.

In Remembrance
    I doubt many states have any laws concerning inter family transfers, certainly only a handful, most states don't have any laws concerning any transfers besides what is sold through a dealer.

Boolit Grand Master

They may have a half a handle on new gun sales but there were more than their estimates before the 4473 was invented. It sounds as if Nancy has had another dream.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Shocked that Alaska is that low. I assume in DC law enforcement and the military accounts for that number.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well I have 3 Minnesota guns that I know they don't have my paperwork on...

...I suspect that those figures are missing anywhere from half to a third of the total.
    At least. I think more than half are unaccounted for in states without private sale BCGs or only recently enacting such ridiculous registration scheme laws.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Shocked that Alaska is that low.
    I grew up in the AK bush; two thoughts along those lines, the number of paperless FTF transactions w/ used guns up there is staggering - probably far more popular than going through gunshops. Also, in the many less-wealthy areas, purchasing new guns is very uncommon - the commerce with used rifles and shotguns is what's happening.

Boolit Master

'Nother example of pi**-poor research. The first time I saw one of these "# of guns" things"...about a year ago...I noticed that the number reported here in Illinois was LESS than the state-reported number of CCWs. A little further investigation into the source material revealed the authors were reporting only the number of REGISTERED guns in each state. Now, considering that, outside of Chicago, there's no registration of privately-held guns in Illinois and, in other states, only a very few have any registration...and, in most cases, only for handguns...the veracity of every statistic in the article becomes questionable. The piece that initiated this thread, to me, is just about as credible as political endorsements prior to an election...any election!!

Btw...when I try to connect to the first link, I get a "Page Not Found" from the ATFE website.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    The gun ownership by states figures are pure conjecture and wild guesses. They have no way of knowing. They are therefor free to make up anything they want.

Boolit Master

My thought was that they go to the manufacturerers and get their numbers from them so all they are counting is new guns. They can't possibly trace used guns.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.