Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm suggestions

Go to a range that rents guns if you can and find one he likes. IMHO pistols are very personal things. If you get one that hits for you that is the best one.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I have neuropathy and had to trade or sell my Glocks for something with an exposed hammer. One of the reasons was I could no longer take them down for a proper cleaning. I ended up with a CZ 75 SP-01 and am learning it as I go. I shot a Colt GM 1911 for 50 years and enjoyed it. The only centerfire striker fired pistol that I have is a Ruger LC9s Pro. The Ruger 1911 pistols are nice. I did have some issues with the CZ when I first got it, but it turned out to be my fault, not the firearm's, and I only shoot cast in my handguns....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I agree with Reverend Recoil, CZ 75 B or CZ 75 BD with decocker, only thing
    it's heavy and doesn't have picatiny rail on dust cover like most like but don't
    really need any way. Fits hand really good and is single double action. Can find
    on line for under $600. CZ75 P01 alloy frame a lot lighter with all same features.
    May be a bit more. Shoots 9MM pc cast just fine. That's just about all I load for
    now. Go to the gun show and see what they got then look on line, like Gun Broker
    or Buds Guns.

Boolit Master
    don't over look a browning hi-power. I have been carrying one for the last 12 years in a iwb holster. 124 gr. Remington golden sabers. for targets it handles cast without a hitch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    Petrol & Powder....sorry to have offended. I only politely asked for opinions because there is a lot of junk out there!
    You're not offending me at all. I'm just pointing out that these types of threads often become exercises in Ford v. Chevy discussions.

You have received some good advice: rent guns, try different guns, find what fits, etc.
    I also agree that a gun show may be a good place to see and hold a lot of different guns but it may not be the best place to buy a gun.
    I agree that the intended use of the gun will play a big role in the selection of the gun. Will it just be for target shooting? Will it be carried, if so, will it be carried concealed? Does it have to be a new pistol? Or can it be a used gun?
    If you go the internet route, don't forget to factor in the additional costs of shipping and transfer fees to your total price.
    I do not agree that a striker fired gun is inherently more dangerous than a traditional DA/SA design with a hammer.

I will say that if you're looking at a new gun solely for target shooting, the CZ-75 has a lot going for it. They are all steel, well made, durable and very accurate. The downside is they are a bit heavy by today's standards for a concealed carry pistol. It can be carried, but there are just lighter/smaller options out there.

If you're looking for a duel use pistol (informal target shooting and concealed carry weapon), The Glock 19 is hard to beat.

If it will be an informal plinker, perhaps a good used pistol will save some money. I picked up an old Star Super B that needed a little work but turned out to be a great shooter!

There are a lot of good options out there. Good Luck.

Banned

Ive got a glock 19, full sized M&P, a berretta storm, a glock 43 and a smith shield and my wifes lc9. there all basically good guns. If I had to choose one to walk out the door into shtf it would be the 19. It to me is just the right size, feels right and goes bang EVERY TIME you pull the trigger and will eat about any ammo I stick in it. Even with cheap 10 dollar aftermarket mags it doesn't miss a beat. As a matter of fact if I had to get down to one defensive handgun it would be between my 19 and my 23 and the 19 would probably edge it out. Probably a reason most police forces are switching over to 19s today. If I could keep two it would be another hard choice between the 23 glock and my full sized M&P. All that said theres some real bargains out there. One is the storm. I picked mine up like new but used with 4 mags for 275 bucks and would buy 5 more of them at that price. Another price saver today is a 40. most times I go in the gun shop they sell a 40 for 50-75 bucks less in the same platform used. Sometimes even more. If hes looking for a ccw gun palmetto arms has 40 springfield xd compacts very cheap right now. Same thing for 40 shields I see at the gunshops. Ive seen them as low as 300 bucks new and that's a heck of a bang for the buck.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    You need to tell your son that the 9mm is a bad choice if he ever plans to reload for it. Its one of the most difficult cartridges to reload for, and the cheapy semi-automatic handguns for that cartridge don't shoot worth a da*&%. Tell him to buy a used 38 Special like a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with a 6" barrel that you can usually get in good condition for less than $300. Since the police stopped using them there are tons of really excellent buys on a really good gun that will shoot far better than any 9mm. Or if he wants to deer hunt get him a 44 MAG made by Ruger, like a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel all ready with scope mounts. Now these are real guns and easy to reload for.
    I know I am a bit late with my reply, but.....

My CZ75 clones shoot everything I feed them....98% handloads. 100% reliability if good magazines are used and ammo is within spec.

I can recommend either Witness or SAR.....the SAR brand is just Turkish made.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    This thread will rapidly become:
    I purchased X brand firearm, I think you should purchase X brand firearm also !
    And it/I Did!
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master

My cheapy 9mms shoot just fine and pretty accurate. All 4 drop plates at 25 yards with untuned loads. 9mm can be finicky but trail and error can solve the problem. If your getting a conceal carry gun, get the one that fits your hand, I got the Taurus G2 wife got a Sccy. We also have High Points and i have the Taurus PT 809 as a full size. All guns were brand new for about 200 bucks each.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    If concealed carry is going to be involved I highly recommend that you try the Ruger American compact. I have and have had many semi auto pistols but none felt as good in my hand as the RAC. It is my glass slipper. Right out of the box the sights shot to POA and quickly sent 200 trouble free round into a 3" circle @ 10 yards. So far over 500 into the berm and no problems. Just MHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12