Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm suggestions

Boolit Buddy

9mm suggestions

My son and I are going to a gunshow this weekend. He is looking for a 9mm. Glock, Springfield, or??
    Neither one of us knows what to look for, and what is good or what is bad. (I'm a rifle person)
    He probably will not be shooting cast bullets. Need nothing in the $600-$1000 range.
    At the range many rave about the Glock 19. What is all this generation stuff?
    Please help.

Boolit Master

the one that fits his hand and points the best is the one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    My son and I are going to a gunshow this weekend. He is looking for a 9mm. Glock, Springfield, or??
    Neither one of us knows what to look for, and what is good or what is bad. (I'm a rifle person)
    He probably will not be shooting cast bullets. Need nothing in the $600-$1000 range.
    At the range many rave about the Glock 19. What is all this generation stuff?
    Please help.
    You need to tell your son that the 9mm is a bad choice if he ever plans to reload for it. Its one of the most difficult cartridges to reload for, and the cheapy semi-automatic handguns for that cartridge don't shoot worth a da*&%. Tell him to buy a used 38 Special like a Smith & Wesson Model 10 with a 6" barrel that you can usually get in good condition for less than $300. Since the police stopped using them there are tons of really excellent buys on a really good gun that will shoot far better than any 9mm. Or if he wants to deer hunt get him a 44 MAG made by Ruger, like a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel all ready with scope mounts. Now these are real guns and easy to reload for.

Boolit Master
    Ruger SR9 series or Ruger American. That's a good place to start.

Moderator Emeritus

A CZ75 or clone [Tanfaglio] should meet his needs easily. I have not found the 9 difficult to load for with jacketed, in fact it's a breeze. 38 special is a great platform but kids today want autos. Springfield makes a good product, those that like Glocks love them and claim they are indestructible. I don't care for them at all or the trigger. If it doesn't fit his hand it is not going to work. Have him pick it up and set it down several times. Is the grip repeatable? Does it feel awkward? Is he moving it around to settle it in? 9mm factory loads are probably the cheapest out there. I would not run cast through it until it has 250-300 rds of jacketed down the bore and he is comfortable hitting with it. Then there are a ton of posts on what to look for to run cast.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have had excellent results with the Beretta 92FS, Taurus PT92(Beretta clone), and the Springfield XD-E. I have heard excellent reports of the CZ75 pistols as well as some of the Glock pistols.
    The best shooting 9mm I own is a Springfield 1911 Range Officer in 9mm but it may be a bit more than you want to spend.

Boolit Bub
    Whatever fit his hands best is what he should buy. Keep in mind, it is almost always true that a full or midsize gun will be easier to shoot well, than a small compact one. However, one can become quite good with any of them if they practice enough.

Boolit Buddy
    If he is not familiar with handguns, I surely wouldn't start him out with a striker-fired pistol because of the increased possibility of a negligent discharge.

If he wants a 9MM, look into a single action/double action mode of operation. The Beretta 92 comes to mind.

Banned
    The OP wrote: "....At the range many rave about the Glock 19. What is all this generation stuff?
    Please help. "

To answer that specific question, The Glock pistol was patented in 1981 and tested by the Austrian Army in 1982. By the mid 1980's, Glocks were being exported to the U.S.A. The basic design hasn't changed over the years but the design has gone through a series of refinements and small changes. Glock identifies those changes as "generations" we are now well into the 4th generation Glocks.

If you picked up a early 1st generation Glock 17, you would find that it operated just like a current 4th generation Glock and basically appeared to be the same pistol. However, there are changes to the design that are apparent to Glock users such as the rail on the dustcover which allows a light to be attached, the texture of the grip, replaceable back straps on the grip, different finishes, etc, etc.

As for the Glock 19, it is one of my favorite "all around" pistols. It is big enough that it is easy to shoot. It is small enough that it can be easily concealed. It has a decent magazine capacity (15 rounds), It has a decent sight radius, it doesn't weigh a lot. In terms of size/weight/capacity/power - it's a pretty good overall package.

As for what pistol you should acquire? You're going to get a phone book's worth of replies. The right one is the right one for you.

I will say that there are a lot of excellent pistols to choose from.

Boolit Master
    Not sure why a 9mm is difficult to load for, many of us load thousands of them & it's the #1 reloaded handgun caliber out there! Find a 9 that fits you & you will be very happy with how it shoots & there's lots of very good ammo on the market anymore if you don't load your own.
    I happen to like the S&W M&P & it comes with 2 extra grip styles that you can switch out to fit your hand. My gun is ultra reliable & I've shot many, many thousands of powder coated cast bullets through it & it's 100% reliable. I do need to change the front sight out because it's shooting low with my preferred load.
    I also have a great Browning Hi-Power, mine was made from 1982-88 & it shoots fantastic also, shoots every bullet I put through it without a problem & at handgun distance 15-20 yds shoots as good as most any quality revolvers. I also had to do some sight work on this one to get it shooting my 128 gr HP's shooting to point of aim. The groups below are at 15 & at 20 yds before & after sight adjustment. Bottom target was 2 different test loads, & I turned the target upside down. Top target I fired 2 rounds then sanded down the sight & fired the next 8 rounds to zero.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 03-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    The question that hasn't been asked is what the man plans to use the pistol for. Will it be for plinking/target/home/vehicle defense or concealed carry. The size of the pistol and the safety/reliability of the action then become more important. Of course these considerations go along with the fit in the hand and pointability as has been discussed. GF

Boolit Buddy
    I will throw another option out there, Beretta px4 storm compact. I like the DA\SA pistols more than striker fired.

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield xd, xdm, xds, glock 17 or 19 are all guns I've shot, and would recommend. I agree that what feels best to him is the way to go. None of those have a safety, but I only own 1 handgun with a safety, and I dont see that as a problem. They are all treated as loaded so I've not had an issue. Just my thoughts.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have time, go to a gun shop with a range that rents guns and try a few out. If he or you have friends that shoot, try their guns out first.

Gun shows are NOT the best place to buy guns BTW. I can get better prices on line.

I carry the Glock because it is one of the finest defensive guns out there...but it is not a great gun (so-so trigger and accuracy). There are a lot of Glock LEO trade ins for not a lot of $$. If you buy a .40 cal you can get a 9mm barrel and mags and have a relatively cheap practice platform. Two calibers on one frame. I carry a Kahr too when a smaller size matters.

The 9mm is not difficult to reload if using jacketed bullets. I shoot cast in mine as well and it is a bit more involved than reloading a .38/.357 where almost anything will work.
    Don Verna

Our town has a gun show terminology thread. Probably should study up before you get to the show. Minnesota has a show at the state fairgrounds too.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

9's are no more difficult to reload for than any other caliber, though they can be finnicky if casting. All except one post have given you all the right information to make an informed decision.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    This thread will rapidly become:
    I purchased X brand firearm, I think you should purchase X brand firearm also !

CZ 75B, it's one of the very best.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master

There's not really such a thing as a "bad choice" as long as you stay with the major brands such as Glock, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Beretta ETC, I'm sure you get the picture. I personally like the full size Smiths for a plinking gun and also own a Smith Shield for carry, but that's just MY preference. There's NOTHING wrong with the 9MM! they are low recoil for the most part, ammo is cheap, and with a little care are easy to reload.

Boolit Buddy
    Petrol & Powder....sorry to have offended. I only politely asked for opinions because there is a lot of junk out there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast