Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New Loadmaster handle

New Loadmaster handle

Whilst the wooden knob on the Loadmaster isn't too bad, I found that after a 100 or so rounds my hand started feeling a bit sore (not too bad, but I was aware of it). Unlike my other presses I couldn't replace the whole handle assembly without a lot of work so figured replacing the knob was the best bet. I made a collar to fit the end of the handle but as it has a slight taper it needed a bit of work in the lathe. Once I'd cut the taper (approx. 2.5 degrees), by fitting it and rotating back and forth I could find the high spots on the handle and file them down, resulting in a nice snug fit.

My original intention was to fit a "D" handle, as this would give a good grip and the force applied would be in line with the centreline of the handle. Unfortunately after making it and doing a trial run I found that the resultant extended handle was too long and at the bottom of the down stroke my arm wasn't long enough and I had to lean over the side of the chair! Not good!

So, I cut a piece of square stock and tapped it for 3/8" Whitworth, then found a bolt long enough to go through the new handle (foam handle bought at the rubber shop and a piece of broom handle turned down to fit and bored through), then welded it to the collar. Blue Loctite should hold the bolt in place, and I just need to shorten the clamping screws on the collar.

The handle tends to put the force applied a little off-centre, but hopefully it should work ok (certainly feels better than the knob).

Incidentally, I had to dismantle the handle assembly from the press and I found that one of the "axle" bolts had virtually no grease on one side, so I pre-greased it before assembly and then pumped grease into all the fittings!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prohandle1a.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	216474

Even with improved handles, and yours looks like a good job, I've found that a fingerless glove with a padded palm does wonders for my hand for long sessions on the press. I found mine online, intended for bicycle riders, and it makes it much more pleasant to spend a couple of hours at the press.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks mate, if for any reason this doesn't work out I'll give that a try.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for reminding me I have been meaning to grease up my loadmaster ,by the way good job on the handle . I must be lazy I just wax the wooden ball .

Once I saw how little grease there was in places I dug out the grease gun (haven't used it for years!) and forced in grease until it started oozing out everywhere!!!
    If waxing the ball works for you then that's great. I actually found the ball works well, but after a while I started getting a problem in the palm of my hand (could have something to do with getting old(er))!

My Rockchucker has the ball handle, and for that one, I bought the smallest baby socks I could find and just slipped one over the ball. That allows my hand to move a little and doesn't cause any pain.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I a very old press I never knew the name of the maker. It was blue and no it was not dillon. Anywho it had a wood handle like the front of a gun stock. Hurt my hand every pull. So I got a container of DIP for fixing rubber handle tools. Made as many dips in the can as I could then one last one dumping the last bit of the can over it. I built up about a 1/4 of an inch of soft rubber on the handle. Worked great. I sold it.

Yous looks good and if it fixes the problems you are having that is even better. Oh yes the grease zerks. Guess I should hit mine since it has been a while.

Boolit Master
    Nice work! My own version from about 7 or 8 years used a split ring/ground from the plumbing dept to achieve the same result!!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

I went to Hobby Lobby,it's a craft store,and got a larger wooden ball. Sanded it down really smooth and give it about 3 coats of clear coat. Really made a difference for me. Did it to my RCBS turret press too. I got the Inline handle for it,but don't care for it. They make a roller handle for the LLM too for $40 I think?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Even with improved handles, and yours looks like a good job, I've found that a fingerless glove with a padded palm does wonders for my hand for long sessions on the press. I found mine online, intended for bicycle riders, and it makes it much more pleasant to spend a couple of hours at the press.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I just cut off the fingers of and old glove.

agree it is a great way to run the press and reduce stress on your hand
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I actually made roller handles for my Pro1000 and Turret presses and find them very comfortable. I made them offset so on the down stroke they don't go down as far but unfortunately the LoadMaster doesn't lend itself to this mod.

Boolit Master
    Great job. Looks very similar to my Inline Fabrication handle. Best thing I ever did for my Pro. It not only made things run smoother and is much easier on the hand, but also lengthened the handle for a little more leverage.