RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: DougGuy and the 480 Ruger, and the best part of the entire visit

Boolit Buddy

DougGuy and the 480 Ruger, and the best part of the entire visit

On the same visit as described in other posts today, I asked Doug to deal with a couple of Ruger super Redhawk revolvers, one in the short barreled Alaskan model, and the other with a 6-1/2 inch barrel, shortened by another member here before I purchased it. It turns out that throat uniforming on these particular revolvers is a daunting task, complicated by the need to completely disassemble the revolver in order to perform the work, and also for the need to remove a hardened nearly ceramic deposit on the inner walls of the cylinders. Doug has encountered this before, and indicated that it is extraordinarily hard on reamers, and is almost like glass. In fact, he broke a reamer while working on my revolvers, but assured me that his pricing was calculated to cover the relatively short life of the reamers when used on the harder Ruger steels. Nevertheless, he succeeded and unifying all 12 chambers on the two revolvers. As in the earlier 45 ACP/AR6 revolvers the improvement was very noticeable when I returned home and tried them out.

The best part of the entire experience was the fact that I arrived at Tuesday around 5 PM, and told him that I had to leave the next day and about 2 PM and to leave whichever of the 8 handguns with him for another visit or later pickup.I really felt badly telling him as, because for the first time meeting, I realized that he is a person with an extraordinary breath of experience and interest, and we share a very deep appreciation for the cast bullet, and the requirements necessary for its proper and effective utilization. He is a remarkable teacher, and I could have listened for much longer, but excused myself so that he could start the project. I regret that I do not take coffee, because of all the coffee in the world, it is his offered brew, based on other descriptions, that I would have most liked to have sampled.

Now imagine my astonishment when he called me at about 12:30PM the next day, before I was ready to leave Henderson, and told me that he completed all 8 guns! I hurried back to his shop and he thoroughly reviewed everything that he had done by working late into the night and early in the morning on my revolvers and pistols. In the time that he did this work, it is important to note that he only did work that was needed, made positive suggestions to my requests, honestly informed me about what could not be done, and made it clear that he would follow-up on any necessary issues.

I agree with those who say on this site that we are living in a Golden Age of bullet molds and cast bullets. There is never been such an array of bullet casting equipment, and other related options to pursue, than exist now. I also know that there is at least one Golden Age Artisan who can regularly adapt our firearms to match the ongoing progress in all areas of cast bullet operations. DougGuy deserves your attention if you need this type of service.

Yep, Doug is fantastic. I only wished I lived closer to have a cup of that coffee.

Boolit Master

Excellent story and recommendation.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    does he have a webpage or contact information

Boolit Buddy
    You can p.m. him from this site, where he is listed as DougGuy, he generally responds pretty quickly

Boolit Mold
    I think that might have been my super redhawk you’ve got. How’s it shooting these days?

Boolit Buddy
    Cmount- it could be the one you had, because I purchased it from someone on this site, and cannot retrieve the details of the transaction from several years ago. I don't recall if he stated that he had shortened the barrel, or if it had been done by a previous owner. I like it very much with that barrel length. With jacketed and certain cast, it shoots much better than I can hold, and does not seem to have recoil commensurate with the weight and velocity of my loads.

Boolit Master

I sure wish I had something for dougguy to work on I've only ever heard praise of his work and of him as a person. Not one bad accounting of him or his talent, that speaks volumes to me glad you enjoyed your visit and got all your wheel gun arsenal taken care of by such a gentleman.

Boolit Master
    Great review!

I traded a 44 Mag Super Redhawk 9.5” plus stuff for a Super in 480 plus stuff a few years ago.

The 44 I traded off could use some of DougGuy’s services but the current owner (also a member here at Boolits) is not bothered by this as he isn’t concerned about what happens to boolits past 100 yds.

My Redhawk is spot on and my Super RH in 480 has not been shot enough by me yet to see a need for remediation.

But it is comforting to know that we at Boolits are so blessed with so many talented folks willing to help in our craft when and where the need arises!

Best regards and Viva the 480 Ruger!

Three44s

Banned

Yes Indeed

"I agree with those who say on this site that we are living in a Golden Age of bullet molds and cast bullets. There is never been such an array of bullet casting equipment, and other related options to pursue, than exist now. I also know that there is at least one Golden Age Artisan who can regularly adapt our firearms to match the ongoing progress in all areas of cast bullet operations. DougGuy deserves your attention if you need this type of service."