Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Saturn help

Boolit Buddy

Saturn help

I have a 1996 saturn sl2, with a 1.9 dohc engine. I need help with the rear wheel bearing. Where can I purchase just the bearing? I can press out the old and pressure in the new. I don't want to purchase the entire rear hub. Does the front wheel bearing also fit the rear? I pressed out the front wheel bearing and pressed in a new bearing last fall so I was wondering if saturn used the same bearing for both front and back. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't look like any are available, only see complete hubs listed. Also looks like front and rear are different. Amazon lists a complete hub for 34.50 shipped, for a 4 bolt ABS hub which dont seem too bad. May be worth not messing with pressing out/in new bearings for that money, if its even doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Brand-Wheel-B...ype=automotive

Boolit Master
    No rear bearing available hub only. Check rock auto here’s the link

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,1636

You’ll have to press it out, find numbers, or measurements and find one in a bearing supply house. The Saturns are based off of German Opals but I can’t recall the exact model.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    You’ll have to press it out, find numbers, or measurements and find one in a bearing supply house. The Saturns are based off of German Opals but I can’t recall the exact model.
    That may or may not work.
    When gm first came up with that dung on front hubs of their pickups, I took one apart and even with a good timken number timken tried to tell me it was not a good number. I explained to them that I could read fine, and they finally said that I had a good number, BUT they could not sell me or anyone except gm one.
    U-haul has the same deal on some trailer wheel bearings and seals.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all. I knew I could get some help from this site.

Banned
    I replaced wheel bearing hub assemblies in our Cadillac SRX and GMC Envoy. Replacing them is the only reasonable course of action. Trying to remove and install a new bearing will only result in a seal failure and premature bearing failure as a result of dirt and contaminents.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonwe View Post
    I have a 1996 saturn sl2, with a 1.9 dohc engine. I need help with the rear wheel bearing. Where can I purchase just the bearing? I can press out the old and pressure in the new. I don't want to purchase the entire rear hub. Does the front wheel bearing also fit the rear? I pressed out the front wheel bearing and pressed in a new bearing last fall so I was wondering if saturn used the same bearing for both front and back. Thanks for the help.
    Its easy for you to check the front and real wheel bearing assemblies for your vehicle. I would bet money they aren't the same.

Boolit Master

Press it out and run it into a Napa store that usually gets it for me. I’ve bought some oddball stuff for machinery from them that any other store can’t seem to do.

Boolit Master

Bearings aren't rocket science. Somewhere in the previous century, a couple of careers back, One farmer I worked with had a tractor down due to a bad front wheel bearing. British made tractor, no longer any local dealers, exorbitant price from long distance dealer, etc. Pulled the bearing, went to NAPA, got one that was made less than 100 miles away.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of what used to be simple replacements are now cash cows for the mfg. They use priority sized/shaped parts that aren't available except in assys. Thus you either buy their part assy or make do with used. It also ensures that their repair shop gets more business.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I know a cross reference book saved me lots on wheel bearing and brake calipers for my Jeep CJ-7. The bearings listed for the CJ were $27 the same exact bearings for a Ford Galaxy were $12. Calipers was the same deal, less than half price. I don't know about the Saturn but $34 for hub and all sounds like a fair trade off.

Boolit Master
    Most new cars they sell it as a unit. Just the way its done anymore. Sometimes you can find out the bearing number and buy direct. But way better off just unbolting the old one, bolting on a new one and away you go.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a front wheel bearing go out on a Buick Park Ave. My Mechanic said he had to replace the hub assembly as he couldn't get just the bearing. I suspect the reason is as 6bg6ga mentions in his posted I quoted.
    My issue was the price of the hub assembly, It was crazy high priced due to it being a Cadillac part or something?
    So, that 15 year old high mileage buick got a hub assembly that was salvaged from a junkyard. My buddy bought the car from me a few years ago, and the front hub is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I replaced wheel bearing hub assemblies in our Cadillac SRX and GMC Envoy. Replacing them is the only reasonable course of action. Trying to remove and install a new bearing will only result in a seal failure and premature bearing failure as a result of dirt and contaminents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance
    The issue and reason that they use a proprietary bearing that can not be bought from timken or anyone else is their is no bearing race, the hub itself is the race, so even if you could buy a bearing for one which you can't is they will not last, mating them to a wore out race. When gm first started doing this they were crazy expensive, I have heard that they have come down some. Heck even some semi's have them on the steer axles now.

Banned

yup I tried it twice and neither held up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post

Been there, done that. BUY THE UNIT, it's like $45 and literally takes 30min inc busting the tires. Super easy and you'll enjoy the time saved. Same goes for the front, buy the hub and have it pressed into your knuckle. Pressing them sucks, you usually ruin the race and have problems, been there done that. If your car has more than 100k miles, the hub/bearing will be a pain in the *** to separate. Had 6 tons on the front one time trying to separate and had to take to a shop with a 15ton press. Stay away from Dorman and the bottom 1/2 of the makers. No use in doing it twice, been there done that. I've got a 01 sl1 and a 02 sl2.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-21-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I had a front wheel bearing go out on a Buick Park Ave. My Mechanic said he had to replace the hub assembly as he couldn't get just the bearing. I suspect the reason is as 6bg6ga mentions in his posted I quoted.
    My issue was the price of the hub assembly, It was crazy high priced due to it being a Cadillac part or something?
    So, that 15 year old high mileage buick got a hub assembly that was salvaged from a junkyard. My buddy bought the car from me a few years ago, and the front hub is still going strong.
    Actually I could get the raw bearings without a problem. Its very easy to access new bearings for me since I have experience finding bearings for machines and such in the past. The actual problems with replacing the bearing is the quality of the bearings the tolerance of the bearings, the seal and getting the new seal to actually seal correctly. Part of the problem lies in moisture and water being able to get inside these bearing hub assemblies Once moisture does get in the seating surfaces can be compromised as well as the rest of it. Its a lot easier just to purchase a part that has a warranty. The cleaper parts in the plain white boxes cost a lot less money and work just as good. I think the GM rice per wheel bearing hub assembly was in excess of $300 a wheel and I got the same assembly minus the GM box for less than $50.

Banned
    While I've certainly pressed bearings on and off various axles, hubs, etc.; the rear stub axle/hub assembly of a front wheel drive vehicle probably isn't worth fooling with. Just replace the entire hub and be done with it.

I understand the desire to save money by just replacing the bearings and races but on some assemblies you're going to reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly.
    Two options:
    1. Shop around and find the lowest cost hub. Rockauto is a good place to start.
    2. Get a used hub from a junkyard. Chances are good that it will outlast the car and if it doesn't; you haven't lost much money.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.