Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grips for large hands

Boolit Grand Master

Grips for large hands

Lately I've been in search of a larger bore handgun, mostly for hunting medium game. I've tried a bunch, but I've really taking a liking to the S&W model 57 41 mag. I've tried to like the Ruger blackhawk, but I just cant seem to like it. I own a couple of Ruger double actions, I just can't seem to get the single action grip. It's supposed to roll in the hand, although to me all it does is make it feel unnatural. The super redhawk fits quite well, but its just such a bulky, and somewhat ugly thing. I never did find anyone with a redhawk, although they are huge too, they seem much more sleek. With that said, the S&W's are just a little too small in the grip for me. When I get a proper grip, the trigger ends up well in the last joint of my finger, rather than on the pad like it should. I am hoping somebody makes a set of grips that wrap around the frame, to increase the distance to the trigger. So far I've found nothing, and I'm not going to drop $900 on a handgun that doesn't fit.

Boolit Buddy

I shot bullseye pistol competition many years, and used to place my trigger finger like you mention- with the pad on the trigger. Look up Shooting Sports(NRA on line publication) articles by Brain Zins, the 12 time National Pistol Champion. He explains why you should place the finger differently on the trigger. You may already have the perfect gun, just not the perfect trigger placement.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    I shot bullseye pistol competition many years, and used to place my trigger finger like you mention- with the pad on the trigger. Look up Shooting Sports(NRA on line publication) articles by Brain Zins, the 12 time National Pistol Champion. He explains why you should place the finger differently on the trigger. You may already have the perfect gun, just not the perfect trigger placement.
    I did find an article where he states to put the trigger in the joint, I also found this video where he says to change the grip to fit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWoJ2arPuI

I can try shooting with the joint of my finger some more, but it just seems wrong. I do it with my double action only, but that has a very narrow trigger, and it just feels right. I find it helps my finger roll around it better with the long trigger pull. With the something like 3/8" wide trigger of a smith and wesson double action, it is just weird feeling, especially shooting single action. If nothing else, I can always change the grips back, but for now I'm still looking for some that wrap around to increase the trigger distance.

Boolit Master
    Pachmayr Presentations may work, some models have a portion of the grip wrap around the back of the grip frame.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/61...hmayr-_-618890

The backstrap ,looks covered as does the front strap.

IIRC some of the Pachmayr gripper models have the rubber wrap around the frame also.

HTH.

Boolit Grand Master

Herret Shooting Stars! They give me something to hang on to.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Those Herret shooting star grips are advertised as open back, so no benefit there. I did find these, which is what I'm looking for. Kinda ugly though, I'd prefer wood. Anyone ever try them?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/97...p-rubber-black

My Pachmayr grips on my Redhawk 44Mag wrap around the back. It clam-shells over the revolver frame from the rear and they meet on the finger grip side.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I guess I've got big hands, 2xl in most gloves. I have Pachmayr grips on most of my guns, at least on the ones where I've changed grips! I've tried Hogues a couple of times but ended up taking them back off.
    The factory grip on a Blackhawk doesn't work well for me either, it's ok on a single six, but for ruger-level 45s I got a Pachmayr presentation grip and it makes the gun fit me, I can even get my little finger on.
    The ugly of the grip doesn't bother me.

Size "Large" Well's leather gloves are a tight, but doable, fit for me. I have had Pachmayr wrap around finger groves grips on my M57 6" for over 25 years. With the wide target trigger on the M57, those grips fell real good to me. With 210 grain SHC bullets and a case full of 296, I am comfortable harvesting large game out to 150+ yards. With cast boolets and 8 grains of Unique, those grips are comfortable for several boxes of target or plinking in a single outing.

MY M57 is one of three .41 Mag pistols I have. If you decide to go with a .41 Mag, I don't think you will regret it. I like magnum handguns, I like my .41's the best.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tigweldit View Post
    MY M57 is one of three .41 Mag pistols I have. If you decide to go with a .41 Mag, I don't think you will regret it. I like magnum handguns, I like my .41's the best.
    I have been loading for both 41 and 44 mag. I love the model 57, and while the 29 is fine, I think there are better 44's out there. If I went to the super redhawk, it's such a massive gun, it just seems overkill for 41 mag. And this is coming from a guy who barely recognizes the term overkill. If I got a super redhawk, I'd have to really give a look to the 480 ruger. I've got a load worked up in the 41 of a 230 grain SWC ahead of 13 grains of Blue dot (I'm aware of the Alliant warnings), and even with my measly skill, I'm shooting 3" groups no problem at 50 yards from a rest. This is an unmodified model 57 6" barrel, the only change being some finger groove grips. It's just a great shooting, trim, comparatively light gun. I wear size 2XL gloves and they fit nice and snug. My fingers are not super long, my hands are just big. If I get a strong grip on the model 57, I am close to being able to pull the trigger with the pad of my middle joint. A more natural grip has the trigger smack in the middle of the last joint. I've seen a couple grips now that go all the way around, I'm sure something will work for me.

Boolit Master
    I have a custom set of Ruger SA handgun grips that are oversized. A bit "ugly" in my eyes,, and I had plans to sell them. Any interest? If so, I'll see if I can find them in whatever box I stored them in. I'll let them go cheap,, especially to help a shooter. If interested, I can take pictures once I find them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I have a custom set of Ruger SA handgun grips that are oversized. A bit "ugly" in my eyes,, and I had plans to sell them. Any interest? If so, I'll see if I can find them in whatever box I stored them in. I'll let them go cheap,, especially to help a shooter. If interested, I can take pictures once I find them.
    I do not own a blackhawk, so I'll have to pass. Thanks though.

Boolit Master
    No problem. I just know I got them on a gun, they are longer, and made to fit a bigger hand. Not fancy wood, or "high quality" customs,,, just very usable grips. I figured somebody with big hands would come along someday needing a cheap set. Even a set they can whittle to fit their hands & not feel bad about doing so.

I think Herret or Hogue used to offer to make custom grips off a tracing of your hand. Maybe a polite email to them could get you a response to fill your needs?

As an instructor,, I always tell students to get a gun that "fit's your hands" as we all are a little different. And "off the rack" doesn't work for everybody.

Boolit Master
    If you have huge hands and want grips for an 'N' frame S&W, look at the Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips. They're made to fit your hand, and they cover the backstrap. They are also available with finger grooves, if that's what you desire. They were also designed with magnum revolvers specifically in mind.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    If you have huge hands and want grips for an 'N' frame S&W, look at the Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips. They're made to fit your hand, and they cover the backstrap. They are also available with finger grooves, if that's what you desire. They were also designed with magnum revolvers specifically in mind.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm
    Now that is exactly to a T, what I have been looking for. Thanks a lot for the heads up. I think I've got my mind set on a S&W model 57 classic. Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Mega -

Howdy !

I have fairly large hands myself.

The "K" and "L"-frame 'Smiths have too small of grip frames, as regards best fit for me.

I have carried and shot "N" frame .357Mag for 40+yr.

*** The best grips I've found to meet my concealed carry/shooting needs are custom Herrett's " Jordan Trooper " stocks.

I wore out the first pair I had made, and those were Walnut.

My current second pair are Goncalo Alves.

I am carrying/shooting a square-butt 4" M-520, that has been customized w/ a heavy 4" bull barrel.

Prior to this gun, I was using a 4" M-58, that I had converted over to .357Mag w/ a heavy 4" bull barrel also.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

At one time Pachmayr made a Jordan style grip like one from Herrett except they were made of a hard plastic (today I suppose it would be polymer). I have a set on my S&W 66 that I like.

hey, megasuperduperbiggerthanyoursmagnum! lol, I bought a lb of blue dot to load in my 44 mag SBH bisley hunter 7.5" ( haven't yet) and I am using 275gr ( true weight) keith style noe's.... what warnings did you hear about blue dot, just would like to know before I get started. planned load is 15 grs. thanks!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hey, megasuperduperbiggerthanyoursmagnum! lol, I bought a lb of blue dot to load in my 44 mag SBH bisley hunter 7.5" ( haven't yet) and I am using 275gr ( true weight) keith style noe's.... what warnings did you hear about blue dot, just would like to know before I get started. planned load is 15 grs. thanks!
    Nothing for 44 mag, Alliant has for almost 10 years said no Blue dot in 41 mag, no exceptions. The newer Blue dot seems to be a little faster than the old stuff. In shotguns, I've found absolutely zero difference in velocity, but in handguns, it can be an issue. I've been using the old starting loads, as new maximums, although you can go a little higher. Apparently Alliant decided the 44 mag data was safe, and the 41 mag data was not. Then they never tested new data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast