Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grips for large hands

Boolit Master

Take a look at company by the name of https://www.altamontco.com/

The make nice grips and reasonably price.

I like mine on Rugers, haven't tried on a Smith..

If you're cheap, Pachmayr Presentations. If you're classy, Keith Brown (https://keith-brown-lprw.squarespace.com/). FWIW, Keith will cut the grips to fit your hand. Can't get much better than that...

mega, I am shooting 275gr ( actual weight) keith style boolits out of my SBH bisley hunter, and I was thinking 15 grains would be a good charge, hoping for maybe 1100-1200 max fps, what do you think?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    mega, I am shooting 275gr ( actual weight) keith style boolits out of my SBH bisley hunter, and I was thinking 15 grains would be a good charge, hoping for maybe 1100-1200 max fps, what do you think?
    That is not a combo I have tried. I see no reason you won't get that velocity relatively easy. I would actually think 15 grains would be above 1200 fps, depending on barrel length. One thing to note with Bluedot is that it likes pressure. I don't know what the threshold is, but too far below starting loads it will have rather large velocity spreads and have un-burned powder.They can still be accurate though. I am loading slightly below starting loads in 41 mag, but Alliant has never said any 44 mag data was unsafe. Once you get into Bluedot's range, the stuff is fantastic. Contrary to popular belief, I've found it to be clean burning, and it burns up in the barrel, so muzzle flash is much less than say H110. I use regular primers most of the time. Slightly unrelated, Federal SP provides a higher velocity than CCI SPM in my 327 federal with Bluedot, everything else the same, so "magnum" does not necessarily mean more. Unfortunately the 44 mag I was about to try out has a problem. Once fixed, I'm hoping to try some bluedot behind a big SWC.

wwell, in lymans 3rd, the min load is 14 max 16 for a 265 gr saeco boolit, but it has a bit more bearing surface than the keith style, so I am sure it is fine, that and the devastator info goes to 15 or 15.5 max, and it usually weighs 275 by the time its checked and lubed. I will see if it burns clean at 14grs, if not I will bump up .5grs at a time. I am running a SBH bisley hunter, with a 7.5" bbl. I will let you know when I load some up, most off my brass is full of 296 for now, but I am doing some shooting tomorrow, so that will " make " some new cases!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    wwell, in lymans 3rd, the min load is 14 max 16 for a 265 gr saeco boolit, but it has a bit more bearing surface than the keith style, so I am sure it is fine, that and the devastator info goes to 15 or 15.5 max, and it usually weighs 275 by the time its checked and lubed. I will see if it burns clean at 14grs, if not I will bump up .5grs at a time. I am running a SBH bisley hunter, with a 7.5" bbl. I will let you know when I load some up, most off my brass is full of 296 for now, but I am doing some shooting tomorrow, so that will " make " some new cases!
    I just checked an old Lyman manual. It has a 275 grain cast bullet listed, and for blue dot, start 13.2gr @ 685 fps, and max 16.7gr @ 991 fps. Those charges seem ok, but that velocity is bogus. Just for comparison, that same bullet lists a max load of 4227 of 23gr @ 1027 fps. Looking on Hodgdon website has the same weight bullet and 4227 max 22.5gr @ 1425 fps. With a 7.5" barrel, you should have no problem at all reaching 1100 fps, Blue dot is not that much faster than 2400.

mega, yeah, lol, that seems a wee bit off. maybe they were using a 2 inch barrel? thanks for the advice. I am going to do like I said above, start at 14, and use it if it burns clean, if not, i'll go up a bit.. I have also been wanting to try 4227, but keep hearing it is dirty. would using cci350's instead of 300's help it burn? the reason for wanting to try it is supposedly it can be more accurate than 296/110. thanks again bud!

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't be the guy to ask about primers, I have not played around with different primers and powders enough to know. I think you would have to go below starting loads to even have to worry about problems with Blue dot. I only mentioned it in case you start very low and work up, for different calibers, odd bullets, etc. 44 mag is a very well known cartridge with lots of data for Blue dot though, so no worry. I'd bet 14 grains would be a nice shooting load. You can try both primers, but if you are like me, the velocity difference is negligible, and I can't shoot nearly good enough to see any difference in accuracy. I do find Blue dot to provide great accuracy, although I don't ever go far enough for pressure signs if I can help it. A lot of guys say H110 is THE powder for accurate max power loads. Maybe I just flinch more with it, but I've never found it to be all that. I actually like working with Lil' Gun better, and find it suitable for most things H110 is. H110 is so fine, it locks up my powder measure, and for some reason sticks to everything. I Never tried 4227, but for 44 mag I'd be more inclined to use that than H110. If you ever tried 2400, I think you will like Blue dot. Blue dot works great in shotguns and rifles too.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.

I have had bullseye stick to everything, and I've never tried h110, but luckily with 296, it doesn't stick, or even "cut" powder in my measure ( lyman 55). that's good to know that blue dot should be good at that power level. I am not trying to get a low velocity load, just a practice load that's easier on powder consumption, and if I can get close enough to the velocity of my 296 loads (1250-1300) with blue dot (maybe 1150?) I can practice with hopefully close to the same point of aim. anyways that's what I am after... we'll see. i'll keep you updated! P.S. I only have one boolit mold, the noe 432-277 keith so they will be the same in any powder I use!

Boolit Buddy
    I like larger pistol I found the S&W model 28 suited me I fitted a set of Hogue couldn't be happier.

Regards Trevor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12