PBcastcoRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: German Cut Flints verses English Knapped Flints

Boolit Bub

German Cut Flints verses English Knapped Flints

Howdy,

Been thinking about trying some German Cut flints. I have had good luck with the knapped ones, just want to try the cut flints. Anyone here used both?? If so,, what's your feelings about both?
    "It's a good day for something"

Boolit Master
    they were really tough on my frizzen, rely cut it up and gouged it. don't like them. and they don't knap very well at least for me.

Banned
    that means your frizzen is soft.

Boolit Grand Master

Tried them and don't like them. Easier for me to resharpen the English flints or the home made ones. Not as many shots to the dollar with the cut ones.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had good luck with the German flints and find them slightly above the English. However I find the French Amber to be the best of all.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I've had good luck with the German flints and find them slightly above the English. However I find the French Amber to be the best of all.
    I"m a fan of French amber flints but that"s it ! American fries for me

In Remembrance
    Like Edward I prefer French amber flints; there is an ongoing debate as to whether the French amber or English black flints are best. I guess it all boils down to what works best for you. I bought a dozen hand knapped flints from Missouri chert (USA!) that work great! I didn't know you could knap cut (sawn) flints? Maybe a silicon carbide grinding wheel would re-sharpen them? Anyway, I have never used cut flints and never will after talking with friends that tried them.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I'm also in the USA made knapped chert camp I get just as many shots from the grey ,tan ,or white chert as I do from the black English and they are generally cheaper too . Honestly never tried the German ones but can't see them working any better than any thing else I've tried
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I have also used the white MO chert from Rich Pierce and they do spark like crazy. Never used the French Amber flints, where can a fella pick some of them up?
    "It's a good day for something"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyc View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have also used the white MO chert from Rich Pierce and they do spark like crazy. Never used the French Amber flints, where can a fella pick some of them up?
    I've used Rich's flints, and bless him for making them available. However I did find they really wear a frizzen, so I keep them for emergency use only.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyc View Post
    Track of the Wolf/Ed

Banned

i prefer english black flints as "fine" (thin, with single edge) over the "common" (thick, with double edge). i've gone through a lot of french amber flints and the english i get through TOTW are just better (you can specify the "fine" type when ordering). cut flints just suk, for me.

I don't like the cut flints either. I use both the English black and french amber flints.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Banned

after the english black, and the french amber, i like american texas gray chert. sometimes i like it best of all ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FjlYB7Y.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	216635

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flint1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	216636

I like French amber and black English, never cared for cut flint!
    Nit Wit