Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Bausch & Lomb 6x24

Boolit Master

Bausch & Lomb 6x24

i have a vintage Bausch & Lomb 6x24 with external windage and elevation knobs. a couple questions. i mounted it on a pre 64 win. bull bbl. 30-06. the tube dosen't slide in the "rings" eaisly . and, does not "return to battery" on its own. any suggestions? next: the elevation knob is centered on the tube. but, the windage knob is not. the button that pushes the tube is 3/32 to 1/8 in above the tube center?? last question; what is the purpose of the 3rd adjustment on the lower left side rear?? anyone have literature that came with these scopes and could send me a copy?

Boolit Master
    stupid of me: looking at the 3rd rear adjustment and see that it is to keep the tube from moving around. its under spring pressure and pushes against the tube at 7 o'clock. still have the issue with the windage button not being centered on the tube. a higher or lower rear mounting base should take care of that. as far as the tube not sliding freely in the "rings" still can't figure that out. i'll just have to return the tube to "battery" by hand.

Boolit Grand Master

The external adjustment scopes are usually set up for 7.2" or 17" ring spacing. Ring spacing is what determines the movement of each click. It also allows for movement of the tube in the mounts.

The adjustments are elevation Top Knob. Right side is wind age, left boss is the spring that tensions the tube into the elevation and wind age knobs pads. The windage being slightly above center means you have most of the elevation to work with.

As to the sliding / return to battery. Some lightened the spring tension to just hold it in place manually resetting the scope to the stop. This was thought to be easier on the scope. On some the spring is held with a clamp ring that can be adjusted to set tension. Check the scopes movement with the spring held forward ( no tension) it should move freely in the rings and on the rail. If not then look for dirt and build up in the front ring and rail. Another way is with it off the rifle check each rings movement on the tube for stiffness. Some one may have "adjusted" the spring in the rear ring thinking more tension was better. A straight edge along the tube will show if its bent. Also check your blocks height to make sure they are correct. It was common practice to use a taller rear block on these to give more elevation for long range shooting.