Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: gas check

Boolit Bub

gas check

new to casting. is there a +/- tolerance in the diameter of gas check to diameter of bullet ? do they have t be the same? IMAGINE THEY ARE THE SAME GOING THROUGH THE LUBE A MATIC. thanks for the info. CJ

Boolit Master
    CJ checks are the same size as the cal. Guys have had to flare some to work on different moulds. So if you are shooting 308 you would use 30 cal. 223 would be 22 cal. Hope this helps.

Boolit Bub
    got a sample pack for 308 ,,of different thicknesses, will the thicker checks create a rounded bottom on bullets? does that matter? TKS. CJ

Boolit Master
    I think your reading into it to much. The only time thickness mattered to ME was if it would hold on the bullet. I do not think it matters. With that said give it a few hours I am sure others will jump in and tell us both the real answers.

Boolit Buddy
    I imagine thickness coming into play more with the shank size, but thats not a voice of experience.

Boolit Master
    As long as the check is made of thick enough material to squeeze down and grip the shank there is quite a lot of tolerance in size for good results. The real PIA is the "too small" check or "too large" shank that gives an overtight fit -- those can take a lot of effort to get them on straight (you'll find a bunch of different strategies posted in the "gas checks" forum if you have that problem). What you are after is a check that goes on easy but grips tightly after going through the sizer. If it goes on easy but doesn't grip you just need a thicker check (or some folks have resorted to superglue at this point).

Boolit Master
    Contact Sage's Outdoors he will fix you up with what you need , just tell him what mold you are using ,he is a very helpful gentleman . 256-492-5158 / www.sagesoutdoors . Com

Boolit Bub
    contacted sage .no reply,, what thickness gas check for rcbs 45-405 molded bullet .458 dia. thanks