RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 9x19 boat tail

Boolit Buddy

9x19 boat tail

I recently picked up a MP 358-147 mold (drops at 154gr per specs) from a recent GB here. After loading a few and pulling to check for swaging, the good news is that there’s no swaging using a Mr Bullet Feeder powder through on my Dillon 650 (which is fairly equivalent to a M-Die).

Using a Lee .357 push through sizer, they mic at .3562. So far this hasn’t caused any leading with my other 9mm molds. There is however noticeable boat tail in the boolits from the tapered 9mm cases.

I don’t have any time in the foreseeable future to actually try these out and actually shoot them, but is anyone willing to wager if this would cause any leading or accuracy issues?

Loaded and pulled on the left. Freshly sized and not loaded on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I would personally call your 'boat tail' swaging the bullet base. I would fully expect it to cause gas cutting and leading.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I would personally call your 'boat tail' swaging the bullet base. I would fully expect it to cause gas cutting and leading.
    I’m fairly new to casting so this is why I brought this up. Indeed the base is swaged but the rest of the driving area measures the same as it did when it was sized. Which in all of my pistols .3562 does not cause leading.

I’m curious to see what will happen.

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    When I see talk about boat tail it is like you stated the bullet base.I have very little of them for cast.But the ones I use dose not do any leading.I use the old NRA lube with ATF.I make it myself.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Some boolits in the heavier weights for 9mm have a noticeable taper at the base already as cast. The 356637 comes to mind. Other boolits have bevel bases which are similar if not a pronounced.
    As long as the body of the boolit seals the bore, there should be no gas cutting and no leading.

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't the PC coating a protective coating to prevent gas cutting? Hasn't anyone retrieved a fired bullet and inspected the base? Those I found has no gas cutting/burning/melting apparent on the bases...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    When I see talk about boat tail it is like you stated the bullet base.I have very little of them for cast.But the ones I use dose not do any leading.I use the old NRA lube with ATF.I make it myself.
    The ones that you shoot, are they for pistol or rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Some boolits in the heavier weights for 9mm have a noticeable taper at the base already as cast. The 356637 comes to mind. Other boolits have bevel bases which are similar if not a pronounced.
    As long as the body of the boolit seals the bore, there should be no gas cutting and no leading.
    This is what I was thinking myself. I hope you're right! I'll be pretty bummed if I have to search for a different mold. Not really sure how to get away from swaging the base.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Isn't the PC coating a protective coating to prevent gas cutting? Hasn't anyone retrieved a fired bullet and inspected the base? Those I found has no gas cutting/burning/melting apparent on the bases...
    I believe you're confusing gas checks with powder coating. PC only acts as a lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    The ones that you shoot, are they for pistol or rifle?

This is what I was thinking myself. I hope you're right! I'll be pretty bummed if I have to search for a different mold. Not really sure how to get away from swaging the base.

I believe you're confusing gas checks with powder coating. PC only acts as a lube.
    Not for any of my PCed bullets; 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum (at magnum velocities), 44 Magnum (at magnum velocities), 30-06 (in a Garand), and 7.62x54r (at low jacketed velocities)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Section a case in half you may be getting into where the case starts to taper into the head portion causing the "boat tail" This heavy of a bullet ( think length) may greatly reduce powder capacity in a 9mm case when loaded to OAL required. Be careful with the starting loads.

Boolit Master
    I think country gent has nailed it.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Not for any of my PCed bullets; 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum (at magnum velocities), 44 Magnum (at magnum velocities), 30-06 (in a Garand), and 7.62x54r (at low jacketed velocities)...
    Sounds like you’ve had quite a bit of success! Hopefully that’s good new for me then.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Section a case in half you may be getting into where the case starts to taper into the head portion causing the "boat tail" This heavy of a bullet ( think length) may greatly reduce powder capacity in a 9mm case when loaded to OAL required. Be careful with the starting loads.
    This sounds like solid advice. Thanks!