MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
PBcastco Load Data

Thread: Thanks guys

Boolit Mold

Thanks guys

Newbie on here this is an awesome site with an unbelievable amount of information I have been trying to get my 9mm to shoot cast for a while now and finally got it figured out because of all the posted information thanks again guys. It ended up being undersized bullets and to soft of lead she shoots like a dream now!

Welcome to the group. Glad that you were able to get your problem figured out. I know that I was able to do the same by gleaming through the posts. A lot of info here and many that will share.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the fun house.

Boolit Master

Look out, you will be enabled.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    The addiction caught another one.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    Welcome to CB Aodmelter, you licked one of the hardest pistol calibers to get right. the tapered case really throws things off.

As you've discovered, with cast boolits it's all about size, alloy, and velocity.

this might help in the future.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Various-Alloys

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Welcome to CB Aodmelter, you licked one of the hardest pistol calibers to get right. the tapered case really throws things off.

As you've discovered, with cast boolits it's all about size, alloy, and velocity.

this might help in the future.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Various-Alloys
    I agree, if you can effectively load cast 9MM, the rest of the pistol rounds are a piece of cake. Go for the rifle cartridges next. 30-30 is a good one to start with.......or 45-70!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys it was a long road because I would make a long run of the wrong size then remelt them then it was a long run of the wrong alloy remelt them!! I guess I jumped the gun and didn’t test enough! But I couldn’t help myself thanks again guys

Boolit Grand Master

You are throughly hooked! Now that you have mastered the 9mm you have graduated - many other cartridges will be easy for you, just apply what you have learned mastering the 9mm.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    In the beginning, it didn't matter what I cast, just as long as I was casting it's addictive / frustrating / relaxing / rewarding all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodmelter View Post
    Thanks guys it was a long road because I would make a long run of the wrong size then remelt them then it was a long run of the wrong alloy remelt them!! I guess I jumped the gun and didn’t test enough! But I couldn’t help myself thanks again guys
    Well of course "do overs" for the win! It is the beauty of casting, if it isn't right then melt it down and try again. Just like knitting but less hassle to take it back to raw materials.

Can be an enjoyable and addictive puzzle getting it to all come together in a good load for your firearm but once you have that recipe it's yours. Along with the knowledge you learned solving this puzzle that you can use for the next puzzle.

I would second the idea of making your next project load a rifle, unless you have another hand gun with costly ammo that prevents enjoying it or developing a proficiency with shooting it. Cost of store bought to support shooting habit makes the effort of working out a successful load even more rewarding.

30-30 is a good choice, as are the military surplus rifle rounds such as 303 British and Mauser calibers. And the Mosin's too. Replacing expensive store bought ammo is a win and cast to fit bullets can improve the accuracy of these old "war horses" a significant amount. Oh and loading as a milder plinking load can make for a more enjoyable day at the range than the full power military loads.

If a box of ammo cost $25 - $40 and the dies and mold cost $65 - $120 with materials running 12 cents a round.... yep,works for me. Of course then you will want to try 4 other molds, shoot 3x a week and drop $200 on a "good deal" for a bunch of lead so all savings go out the window but it makes the addiction seem so much more reasonable to focus on the savings.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Welcome to the addiction, Aodmelter. Another one in the clutches of bullet casting.

I always tell people in the casting world, FIT IS KING all else is secondary.

I had a guy tell me once that you don't really save money but you get to shoot more. Either way it looks like you are hooked.