RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: WOW!!!! Star sizer + Dillon SDB in 38 SPL....what a difference in time!!

WOW!!!! Star sizer + Dillon SDB in 38 SPL....what a difference in time!!

I am a Dillon fan from way back...have (2) 550s and picked up a used SDB last summer. Once I learned how to use it, the SDB is a joy to use!! Can I say it is faster than the 550? Yes and no, but I digress. Picked up a used Star bullet sizer at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It was set up in 45 and I needed .358, so I called Magma and ordered a .358 die, top punch, and a bunch of blue sticks. Their service is FAST! Had stuff in less than a week, counting weekend!! I made my own heater base that I use for Lyman 45 and 450. I have a 4500 that has hole for heater but I mount it to the heater plate, also. After mounting Star to plate, filling appropriate holes in die for my bullet, and a couple of calls to Magma I was in business. A little learning curve on pressure, heat, and MOST important the last part of stroke, it is incredible how fast you can size and lube bullets!! I am a Star convert and collector as of now!! Anyway, I have a 1000 38 SPL cases to load.

rmcc

Boolit Master
    Yea. The Star sizer is a complete different game than the Lyman type. I have an old Star Universal press in 38spl to go with the Star sizer. Once set up, they both do their job very quickly. I don't bother with the heater as I use FWFL which is soft enough without heat.

Boolit Master
    Star & Dillon go together like bread and butter. Let us know what you think of the blue lube from Magma when you get a chance to try it. Been thinking about trying some myself. My Star had blue lube in it when I purchased it and I don't know what it was but would sure like to have some more if I knew what it was.