MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Rowland

Boolit Man

460 Rowland

Just ordered a conversion for a Springfield XD-M and brass which is on sale at MidwayUSA. Anyone have experiences to share about loading and shooting this cartridge? I have a can of longshot and picked up Hornaday 230 gr XTP bullets. The box says the bullets are good up to 1500fps. I may make this my new hunting pistol for deer, certainly my new woods carry gun when bow hunting if I can getting it functioning reliably.

Banned

I just got my XDm donor gun for my conversion
    Probably going to shoot .45 Super or mild .460 Rowland
    Seems like it will be fun

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Clark conversion on a Springfield for a long time. They are fun to shoot but if you use longshot be very careful about bullets over 250 gr, it will get some very rapid pressure spikes will little increase in load. Normally I use cast bullets for just about everything (don't hunt with it)

Boolit Grand Master

The 460 Rowland is one hit little gem but I’ve never really cared for porting, which is necessary for the 460 Rowland. I don’t recall what powder my friend loaded with but it was always fun to shoot but too much muzzle blast for me for anything other than a range toy.

Boolit Master
    I looked into this round a few years back. Looks like a boat load of fun. Keep us updated on how it turns out.

Boolit Master
    I have been running 460 in a blackhawk, a convertible with 45 acp cyl. I did not cut the chambers to 460, but trim the brass back to ACP length. The extra length must give enough neck tension to keep the bullets from moving under recoil, not like you can give them a roll crimp. I messed w 45 super in the gun.

My data wont do you any good, I resorted to making a rimmed version of the 460. Cut down 454 casull brass to fit in a ACP chamber. The internal capacity is lower than the 460 brass. Bought a tool to put crimp grove in jacketed bullets, now can roll crimp, work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's some load data from the 460 Rowland website (it has Longshot for the 230gr).

https://www.460rowland.com/load-data/

I have a Clark conversion on a Colt Delta Elite lower. I am waiting on the return of my HK USP full size I sent to 460 Rowland for conversion.

I guess I am really deaf because I don't really notice increased muzzle blast from the compensator in a pistol (or magnaporting in a revolver). My Delta conversion is a lot of fun to shoot and recoil isn't a problem with the loads I've used so far (265gr CSWC at a chronoed 1,150 fps). Kinda got sidetracked and haven't got back to load development (waiting on the HKs return).

So far I've only used AA#7 -- be careful here because from what I've heard, the formula has changed over time and some of the data looks way to hot to me. Start low and use a chrono until you get what you want.

Wish I'd of done it sooner.

Top gun in picture.

FWIW,

Paul

Boolit Man
    Has anyone taken game with their rowland? I’m thinking it will be great for deer hunting. Seems like a 45 colt in a more compact, lighter package.

I have hunted with my Glock 21g4 with a lone wolf 6.5 inch barrel with a lone wolf spring kit for 3 years now and I was able to connect with a big doe(big in KY standards) at about 50-60 yards with the lee 452-255RF going around 1500fps she dropped in her tracks no movement or nothing

43pu

Frosted Boolits

Years ago I had a kit for my 1911. I sold it and did testing using a Glock 21, a Jarvis barrel, extra heavy recoil spring, and regular old 45 ACP brass. The barrel was unported, and I used two springs in the magazine, IIRC. Longshot was my powder of choice with both 200 and 230 grain lead and jacketed bullets. It was a hoot to shoot! BTW, the only difference between 460 brass and 45 acp brass is the length. The 460 brass is no thicker than standard 45 acp brass.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    The Rowland brass may not be thicker, it is different, stronger.

Frosted Boolits

http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

It is no stronger than standard 45 acp brass.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    Don't believe everything you read, thickness of brass is not the last word about strength.

Frosted Boolits

I don't believe everything I read. I have tested both 460 brass and regular 45 acp brass in chambers with similar (actually measured) case head support and identical powder charges. I measured case head swell. It was similar in both cases (pun intended). When I originally purchased the 460 kit I had plans to run standard 45 acp cases at higher pressures in a 45 acp barrel out of the rugged, tough Glock 21 (with a bbl with better case head support, of course). I just wanted to see what was so special about this drop in kit. I did hours and hours of research and approached it extremely cautiously.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I don't believe everything I read. I have tested both 460 brass and regular 45 acp brass in chambers with similar (actually measured) case head support and identical powder charges. I measured case head swell. It was similar in both cases (pun intended). When I originally purchased the 460 kit I had plans to run standard 45 acp cases at higher pressures in a 45 acp barrel out of the rugged, tough Glock 21 (with a bbl with better case head support, of course). I just wanted to see what was so special about this drop in kit. I did hours and hours of research and approached it extremely cautiously.
    I'm not surprised, case support is much more important than the case. In a properly chambered strong gun, brass survives surprisingly well right up to the point it starts flowing. (think modern rifle pressures).

Boolit Master

Starline has stated there is no difference between 460 rowland, 45 +P and 45 Super other than length of the brass. There is an article on handloads.com on using a nmbh with a 45 ACP cylinder with standard brass for starting 460 Rowland loads. Interesting article, I've never done it as We have a several 1911's in the family, no sense in tempting fate.

Starline certainly charges different prices!

45 Auto +P $102.50
    45 Auto $94.00
    45 Super $119.50
    45 Win Mag $122.50
    460 Rowland $143.00

I guess the differences are attributable to demand.

Boolit Buddy
    From Starline's website:

45 ACP+P, 45 Automatic+P
    0.892 - 0.897 O.A.L.
    The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto.

45 Super Brass (Large Pistol primer)
    0.892 - 0.897 O.A.L.
    45 Super* is the same externally as the 45 Auto, but has a thicker web, denser grain structure in the metal, and special heat treat process that enhances the durability of the case. Similar internal capacity as the 45 Auto. Some 45 Super load data was published by Triton Cartridge before they went out of business. *Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!

460 Rowland Brass (Large Pistol primer)
    0.954 - 0.960 O.A.L.
    The .460 Rowland is a lengthened, heavy duty .45 Auto based case designed by Johnny Rowland. It delivers .44 Magnum ballistics in a semi-automatic handguns chambered for this cutting edge cartridge. Conversion kits are available also. Contact Johnny Rowland at 1-318-537-1481, or email jr@gunsandgears.tv for more information. Cases are available factory direct from Starline.

FWIW,

Paul

Boolit Mold
    I am one that uses regular 45 acp brass for my 460 level loads but I'm running them in a compensated longslide glock with a lw barrel that has case support to the extractor groove. I've test a 315gr wfn pictures on the bottom to ruger 45 colt level speed. No brass flow and case heads were still measuring under my .482" max. With proper case support acp cases are plenty strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	217714

Frosted Boolits

Finally someone who has actually DONE this and can report on it (besides me lol). Years ago I caught a ton of flack on another forum for talking about this and actually posting my results. Glad to hear it has been working for you too and not just a fluke for me!

the BB knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast