Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: look at this trash i got form Hornady

Banned

look at this trash i got form Hornady

Got a new Horandy LNL AP press $450.00 look at the powder drop i Called and they tried to tell me it had to be like that for the casting was off no the guy cutting it was off or did not know how to set up a lathe the right way ..

i have to send it back and hold off on using my new press till they send me a new one that will take a week or to i bet .

but who in there right mind would let it leave there shop like this i know i would not on some thing that cost this much

Boolit Master
    Dang. Sucks this happened to you. Are they going to toss anything in for the added headache? Worst part is now you have to look at it for two weeks and that is just going to upset you more not being able to use it. I hope they do you right.

That's is too bad. I have a Hornaday LNL and I've had no problems. They have always treated me right.
    Iv'e had my press about 7 years I think.
    Hope they make it right.
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Banned
    i have to send it back and then they might replace it who knows they seem like they did not want to deal with me right form the start seems strange to me i have never dealt with them ever so i do nor know what they will do . RCBS on the other hand i can call or email them and i will have a new one with in 2 to 3 days and if they want the old one back they will send a tag in the box to ship the old one back but most of the time they say toss it or keep for parts .

Boolit Grand Master

In all honesty the casting was fixture on the rough outside of the casting for the machining, These appear to be a sand casting and they can vary quite a bit on the rough castings. My guess would be that they are chucked on the end where the 7/8 14 threads are and the holes machines along with the hopper mount and base stop ring are machined. then its rolled . and the drum hole bored. Last would be the threads. I very much doubt this was done in a lathe, but a cnc machining center with tool changer and parts changer with fixtures holding the parts. I'm betting its with in specs.
    You would be surprised in todays manufacturing how many threads and round parts are done in cnc mills and or machining centers now. A 5 axis machine could run that in 2 set ups and depending on the casting in under 10 mins.

Not being smart or trying to get you upset here. Did you try it to see if there is a problem?

Boolit Buddy
    I quit buying Hornady products. I had a set of new dies that would not chamber a round once reloaded. It was just a simple set of 2 piece FL dies. I called the customer service line and explained my issue to someone. The customer service rep told me that he could not do ANYTHING and I had to take it back to the store that I sold it to me. I threw them in the trash and I only buy RCBS products now

Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, I am ever so sorry for your experience. I've been in similar -- the major frustration being you are totally at the mercy of the seller. I do hope they "make it right" for you! BEST wishes, again!
    geo

Boolit Master
    What is your complaint?
    Is there a functional issue?
    Is the internal location of the casting ugly?

When sand castings are cast and then machined you are likely to get a lot of ugly internal cosmetics because the design does not include full clean up of all surfaces. You should see the horrors of some cast iron engine blocks and cylinder heads.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Pretty sad, but the goal is not good parts, it's fattest possible profit margin.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I quit buying Hornady products. I had a set of new dies that would not chamber a round once reloaded. It was just a simple set of 2 piece FL dies. I called the customer service line and explained my issue to someone. The customer service rep told me that he could not do ANYTHING and I had to take it back to the store that I sold it to me. I threw them in the trash and I only buy RCBS products now
    Let me get this straight, you went to a store and bought a product then called the manufacture and complained, when they told you to return it to the store for replacement or refund you did neither but instead toss it out? So now the store keeps your money and the manufacture doesn't get the product back so in there eyes the customer (you) is happy! Yeah that worked. Why would you do that?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure a rough surface and even an off-center hole is a good thing in that application.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Let me get this straight, you went to a store and bought a product then called the manufacture and complained, when they told you to return it to the store for replacement or refund you did neither but instead toss it out? So now the store keeps your money and the manufacture doesn't get the product back so in there eyes the customer (you) is happy! Yeah that worked. Why would you do that?
    Good question....I just reached a point in my life where the frustration is not worth my time, mood, health...etc. Once it went in the trash, I was done. I did not have to locate the receipt, drive there, stand in line, wait to talk to a manager, explain it to a 4th person, hope that they return it and not give me a store credit. The company knew that I wasn't happy. They lost a customer and several future customers. So yes, in my eyes, that worked.....each to their own

Boolit Grand Master

That type of ringed surface or a fine thread is often used for one of 2 reasons. To reduce friction on a pressed in part that may vary a little, and to reduce glare or reflections. So the rough surface in question may be an intentional thing. Another reason for the ringed surface is to provide a better surface for adhesives to bond to. In this case the clear plastic acrylic hopper tube being pushed over that surface would compress and over time expand into the grooves locking in snuggly with less force.

I have to check my powder hopper at home, but I think you are right country gent. The hopper tube is a simple press fit and I believe the grooves are there intentionally. However, the shelf for the baffle should be close to uniform around the circumference so that the baffle will sit on the shelf and not drop one side down the taper. Does it really matter? Probably not and if I got the press for free I would use it as is. But a brand new part looking like that would sort of tick me off too. Just shows some shoddy QC if any was done.

If/when you get a replacement, be sure to use brake cleaner or Hornady's One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube (not case lube) to degrease that powder measure, otherwise you'll never get consistent drops.

In Remembrance

I worked as an industrial pipefitter/plumber in a GM grey iron foundry for 10 years. All the castings from engine blocks to water pump housing were cast with sand cores. I could tell you horror stories of bad castings due to inferior cores or a myriad of other reasons being shipped as meeting specs. The largest problem though was the inspectors/quality controllers at the acceptence ends of the lines. I also learned my lesson with Hornady loading tools. RCBS is my sole spot to buy tooling from now.Robert

Banned
    the trouble with the part is the ridge that the powder baffle sits on is gone on the one side for they cut the hopper off to one side if it was a CNC i would go get a new guy to run it a good one would of found center and cut the part the right way but i'm guessing some one chuck it in the lathe and did not center it like a good machinist . i know i can do it the right way no mater how bad the casting is . if it is of center after you put it in the chuck you center it by adjusting the chuck till the part you are cutting on the casting is center the right way . if i had a good way to shoot a video i would post one on how you do this on my lathe and i would cope there powder drop and sand cast it as well .. there is no excuse for being sloppy or lazy . they are good looking castings they just need to cut them the right way

Boolit Grand Master

Yes I could also "chuck it up" and make it. I could make it from brass, steels, aluminums or other materials bar stock Square or round. The thing is here I very much doubt there was a chuck or any "set-up" involved in the part. Having worked in manufacturing for roughly 35 years ( food industry and automotive) Ive seen very few manufactured items that weren't ran in jigs or fixtures other than parts ran on screw machines or bigger parts in turret lathers both of which are getting obsolete.

We had presses in the food industry running 500 can ends a min. Draw redraw lines making 2 piece cans at 6000 a min. Our old kingsburys had 2 operator stations one to insert the castings into the fixtures the other to flip them over and finish them. The chiron machining centers had fixtures that traveled on a line these were put in the machine by a feeder, sat on 4 locators 2 round 2 diamond and 2 air clamps locked them in place. The only time a person handles a part was to put them in the fixtures and take them out. Very little was done in chucks or vises, other than one offs and repairs.

As to the powder baffle not sitting right is it the cut or is the baffle formed a little "tight". A slight spreading open on the baffle might make it fit right. The baffles over bend may be the result of a bad dies set or stock that's a different hardness.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have had a couple encounters with hornady that's why I buy rcbs now. They have the best service of any company I have ever dealt with hands down!

Boolit Master

Hornady made me a custom die... gratis... after a long but pleasant conversation about SAAMI blueprints and die dimensions.

Leupold bitched about replacing a ring that was obviously cut out of round, like anyone laying a scope in it couldn't obviously see it, but the lady on the phone kept saying "but CNC... but CNC...."

RCBS kept sending me the same parts for a case trimmer, over and over, until I just returned it along with a diagram of what was misaligned on the casting itself. Then they finally sent me a new trimmer. I still have it, new in box a decade later, I had already moved on.

Yes, I've gotten free parts from Lee, and had molds replaced. Several. Free... but yes I paid one-way shipping. Worth it on a 6 cavity. Debatable on a 2 cavity. I do it because I know how much it pisses off Dick Lee to see a barrel full of reject molds. He said so himself. Quality has really improved lately. My latest two this month look like custom molds. Maybe I helped?

Stuff happens. It's not like there's a rash of bad powder measures flowing through the Internet like a tidal wave. Deal with it and move on. Really I've gotten good, bad, and indifferent service from all the majors, usually the best when I am polite and start out with a compliment. People in the midwest don't work well with those with a sense of entitlement. They expect to be treated with courtesy, dare I say it, with dignity. Starting out a conversation with the word "trash" is probably not going to put you at the head of the line.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    look at the big ledge on one side and no ledge on the other they tell me it needs to sit on it . and if they do use fixtures it would not be hard to have the cnc cut it right if the guy knows what he is doing and if they have newer CNC some of the new one can be set to check center on ever part be for it cuts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast