MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: First time loading Cast

Boolit Mold

First time loading Cast

First time posting, I am looking for some guidance and a general target load for my first time reloading with cast. I have loaded for 308win, 44mag in the past but used the j-words. I picked up some 38spl 125gn fp hard cast from Berry's and figured i'd post seeking knowledge before jumping in.

i'll be sending them down range with a Ruger gp100 6" barrel and amazon will be delivering my Lyman 50th edition reloading manual in the next 2 days. I suppose I am just anxious to get started with loading cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    You mention 38spl...
    You loading to special specs or mag specs?

to me pistol with cast boolits is always pushed by Unique, it works well in 38 Spl and .357 Mag. loads,

Unique is my favorite powder for 38's.
    Lyman has a cast bollit manual that has everything.
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Boolit Mold
    38 spl no +p

Boolit Buddy
    Directly from the above mentioned manual. Not exactly the same bullet but close enough.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	216377

Boolit Master

I run that Lee 125FN with 4.3 grains HP-38 (Win 231).

Easy shooting & accurate at short distances (20-50 feet). One of my favorite casual shooting loads, I have several hundred on hand at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I run that Lee 125FN with 4.3 grains HP-38 (Win 231).

Easy shooting & accurate at short distances (20-50 feet). One of my favorite casual shooting loads, I have several hundred on hand at any given time.
    +1 on HP38/231

WST is also a good powder for midrange .38 spec.: it's bulky & easy to recognize a double charge (also meters perfectly & burns clean).

Boolit Grand Master
    Many good powders for the .38. My favorites are HP38 and Clays but only because I have a good supply. Easy to load as well.

Check advice on loads against published data. A lot of data on the manufactures web sites.

You do not need the exact same bullet for safe load data for target loads. The data for any 125-130 gr bullet will work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

One important item is cast bullet diameter. I have always sized my cast bullets (or purchased them) the same diameter as the cylinder throats. Any larger the throat will swage them down and any smaller and you'll probably get barrel leading. The Lyman 50th has good info on loading cast in the "how to" section and thry also publish a Cast Bullet Handbook too. Another good read is From Ingot to target, by Fryxell. http://www.lasc.us/fryxell_book_contents.htm

Read the stickies and cruise the sub forums here 'cause there is more information on all aspects of cast boolits right here than any other place on the planet...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post

Read the stickies and cruise the sub forums here 'cause there is more information on all aspects of cast boolits right here than any other place on the planet...
    Thank you, I will definitely take advantage of this.

I intend to start off load development using unique sine I have a small amount on hand.

I currently do not own a bullet sizer and have never casted before which is the reason I purchased from Barry's. I imagine as I get deeper into this, I'll acquire the proper equipment for casting/lubing and sizing.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the website of the bullet manufacturer and find the diameter of the bullets. You may shop around and find a caster that will supply various bullet diameters per caliber. I have purchased bullets from Beartooth Bullets and found they supply bullets of a range of diameters for each caliber...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-15-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Lee 125 RFN and 231/HP38 or WST make great fun shooting loads. .358 is used for all my 38/357 loads. Have fun...
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Mold
    I have no experience with them yet, but I do plan to be picking up a box of these once my S&W Model 12 is fixed:

https://statelinebullets.com/shop/co...-gr-tc-cowboy/

After reading Fryxell's articles on alloys, I've come to the conclusion that you really want a softer bullet for the .38 Special, and Stateline appears to be the only guys out there casting from 9-10 BHN alloy.

It'll be my first time loading cast as well, so I'll post updates here once I actually get some range time in. My Model 12 seems to have a defective hammer nose bushing that causes primers to back out and get stuck, so it looks like it'll have to go off to a competent smith for fixing.

Unique IS unique and perfect for your need. Bullseye and Red Dot are amazing as well. Shoot up those store boughts and get a mould- that's when it gets real!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Be careful reloading cast boolits as they are generally larger than the casings. Make sure the case mouths are properly flared to accept the boolits or you'll crush the casing.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TX_Travis View Post
    38 spl no +p
    Do you have powder or a powder in mind to use....there are a lot of powders that can be used,
    just trying to narrow the field down.
    Gary
    OK , just saw the mention of Unique .
    As per Lyman #4 , 125 gr. FP , start load 4.3 gr.......Max load 5.3 grains.

I settled on 5.0 grains for my standard load with 125 grain cast boolit.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-16-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    I've used several pounds of Unique and 231 for 38 special loads. I currently use Titegroup. Remember, you don't have to have the highest velocity listed to poke holes in a paper target.