RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastco Lee Precision

Thread: Crimping heeled 32LC with Lee factory crimp die

Crimping heeled 32LC with Lee factory crimp die

Having never touched a Lee FCD...

I am asking if this die will crimp down the extra 0.021" or so, that is the .32 colt spec?

Next question, Will it go short enough to crimp the regular short Colt? The spec. say it will do 32ACP, which is only 0.070" longer.

Just trying to save my 25 bucks for the die, if it will not do the task at hand.

Thanks for the help, Tim.
    Last edited by corbinace; 03-13-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos

Boolit Grand Master

The collet crimp Lee FCDs are cartridge length dependent. The shellholder pushes up the collet to squeeze the case at the mouth and different lengths of cases will not put the crimp in the right place. The Lee FCD for handguns is just a "size after crimping die" and also pretty caliber specific. I looked on the Lee site and didn't find a collet die for 32 Colt...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Thank you MDI,

I had meant to put a link for the die in question; https://leeprecision.com/carbide-fac...32-s-w-lg.html

That is not very encouraging. I had read about people tricking 30-30 FCDs into working but could not understand what they were doing. It mentioned using a push through sizer stem to stick the cartridge up into the die, but I could not see how it would be released and come back out.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I crimp my 32 Colt using a 32 ACP crimp die. Lee brand.

Old West Bullet Molds has the setup, $50.
    https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/prod...colt-crimp-die

AntiqueSledMan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Having never touched a Lee FCD...

I am asking if this die will crimp down the extra 0.021" or so, that is the .32 colt spec?

Next question, Will it go short enough to crimp the regular short Colt? The spec. say it will do 32ACP, which is only 0.070" longer.

Just trying to save my 25 bucks for the die, if it will not do the task at hand.

Thanks for the help, Tim.
    I don't think it will as I asked Lee a good many years ago if they would make me a FCD for the 32 Long Colt--Nope...

I did devise a way to do it, but I will need to think about it for awhile--I haven't loaded any of those little critters for some time...

Might go to my bench and see if I can come up with the method. I required several pieces of reloading equipment--None really associated with each other! A rigging for sure, but it did work...

Maybe more later...

There is a 32 Long Colt aficionado on this site and he may "chirp" in if he sees the subject line...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master

I think some people who are replying may not realize the 32 Long Colt is different than the 32 S&W, the 32 S&W Long, and a few other 32’s…

Since it is a heel boolit design, it is difficult to crimp in a factory crimp die as the bearing surface of the boolit is the “same” diameter as the brass mouth…

I have used this method shown in the pic to do mine. You can see the crimp mark on the mouth of the case that is holding the N.E.I. .313-95-HEEL boolit…

The crimping die is the Lee 30-30 Winchester die and the push pin is used for the .358” Lee push though sizing die. I suspect other pins would work, but the .358" pin allows the base of the case to set more stable...

The setup is pretty tricky and can ruin cases (mostly at a premium if you can find them) or resize the boolit to make it too small for the bore—guess this depends on what you are shooting it from…

Regardless, that is the way I do it, so it might trigger a thought and you might be able to rig some other setup yourself…

A nice little obsolete cartridge—I shoot it in an old Marlin 1892 with pretty good accuracy to 50 yards with open sights…

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_3448.jpg  

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    As I stated in post #4. I seat the 90 gr. heeled bullet by hand then run the cartridge into my Lee 32 Auto seating/crimping die with the seating plug removed. I adjusted it to put a very nice crimp for a firm hold on the heel. Works very well and doesn't require any expensive dies. I load using Trail Boss powder and at the low pressures I only need to flare the case mouth just enough to seat the heeled bullet. No need to full length size the case.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    As I stated in post #4. I seat the 90 gr. heeled bullet by hand then run the cartridge into my Lee 32 Auto seating/crimping die with the seating plug removed. I adjusted it to put a very nice crimp for a firm hold on the heel. Works very well and doesn't require any expensive dies. I load using Trail Boss powder and at the low pressures I only need to flare the case mouth just enough to seat the heeled bullet. No need to full length size the case.
    Might have to give that a try...

But, I don't understand how the boolit isn't shaved as it passes the crimp ring in the die...

If the bullet of the 32 Auto is 0.309" and the boolit for the 32LC is 0.313" I would think it might hit the crimping ring. But, since the 32 Auto has a larger diameter case mouth, maybe it will work...

Might give it a try if I can find a 32 Auto die...

Thanks...BCB

Thank you gentlemen,
    It may be a case of me having an incorrect mold form. Maybe the heel is too small. This Accurate 312090S mold: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-090S-D.png

The driving bands are .313. I have CH dies for 32 Colt and Hornady for 32 S&W.

I do seat the projectile with finger pressure as Guesser mentions, but the die wants to grab the Boolit sometimes and hold it in the die while I retract the case. Very frustrating. By the time the bell is removed there is still not enough neck tension to hold the boolit intact.

Maybe I just need to run it deeper for a fuller crimp. For some reason, I just now thought of that. I will try it and see if it over-sizes the driving bands.

I do not have an ACP die at my disposal at the moment.

Boolit Master

I started loading the Long Colt by "snapping" the boolit in place by hand after it was deprimed, primed and then charged...

I found this worked fair, but I did get some very lose fits with the N.E.I. boolit...

I then had a good machinist make me a sizing die from a tire stud used with large truck wheels. They have the correct thread for a press...

I don't remember what size the hole was drilled at, but it sizes it enough to make a tight fit with the boolit. I use a Lee neck expander to slightly bell the mouth...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_1856.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Antique Sled Man has your answer. Bernie modifies the Lee die so that it does crimp the case on the heel. I have one for my 41Colt. Bernie is basically the go to man for heeled boolit issues.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Thank you for all the ideas gentlemen.

I ended up ordering a crimp die from Old West Bullet Molds. Kind of a cry once decision, as they are a bit more than I wanted to spend. It is hard to justify the amount of money I have spent to load this obsolete cartridge with no real purpose other than the challenge of making holes in paper with an obsolete firearm.

Thanks again, Tim.

Boolit Master
    AHHH, but the SATISFACTION of Successfully punching Accurately Placed Holes in paper from a distance is an added Benefit.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

I took the advice of the guys who recommended Old West Bullet Molds and ordered the crimping die he machines from a Lee Factory Crimp die…

Although, the method I tried to describe in post #7 works fairly well, it is still not the greatest crimp, yet it has functioned for me for a good many years…

But, the die I got from Old West Bullet Molds is “the ticket”. It works well. I communicated via e-mail with the owner and he preset the adjustable case holder for the length of case I told him…

I only had to make a very minor adjustment to the crimping die to get the

I added a pic, that is not too good, but if one looks closely, you can see a minimal crimp. I didn’t really “crank it down”, as I really don’t think a heavy crimp is required with the fast burners. But, an even crimp might help with accuracy a bit…
    (ALOX is UGLY!!!)

I nice crimping setup for sure…

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032718092036.jpg  

I got my crimper from OWB over the weekend as well.

The actual crimp die looks like a Lee 30/30 crimp die with the words turned off.

The heart of the setup is the shell holder. It is a brass tool that fits into the ram of your standard press. The extended stem is threaded for length of brass adjustment, in order to get the crimp in the right place. This adjustment is held secure by a set screw in the base.

I have only done about 25 cartridges, so cannot speak to the longevity of the brass tool. I can however, speak to the adjustability and utility of the device as a whole. In a word, woohoo!

As to the cost, $50+7.50 shipping. 25 for the Lee die leaves only 25 for the machine work on the holder. While I am no machinest and not able to estimate the time involved, I think this is more a labor of love than a wealth building mechanism.

I can wholly recommend this tool.

By the way, the instructions mention a half turn of crimp, I only used about 1/3rd turn.

I have a really good picture as well, but it must be too big to load, as it is not accepted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    I got my crimper from OWB over the weekend as well.

The actual crimp die looks like a Lee 30/30 crimp die with the words turned off.

The heart of the setup is the shell holder. It is a brass tool that fits into the ram of your standard press. The extended stem is threaded for length of brass adjustment, in order to get the crimp in the right place. This adjustment is held secure by a set screw in the base.

I have only done about 25 cartridges, so cannot speak to the longevity of the brass tool. I can however, speak to the adjustability and utility of the device as a whole. In a word, woohoo!

As to the cost, $50+7.50 shipping. 25 for the Lee die leaves only 25 for the machine work on the holder. While I am no machinest and not able to estimate the time involved, I think this is more a labor of love than a wealth building mechanism.

I can wholly recommend this tool.

By the way, the instructions mention a half turn of crimp, I only used about 1/3rd turn.

I have a really good picture as well, but it must be too big to load, as it is not accepted.

I agree with the 30-30 Winchester Lee crimp die. That is sort of the crude setup I used as stated in #7...

The OWB setup comes with the adjustable shellholder, whereas I used the push though pin from a Lee lube/sizing die...

All worked the same, but the OWB works the way it is supposed to do so!!!

Good-luck...BCB