Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Case feeder option for Dillon 550

Boolit Bub

Case feeder option for Dillon 550

Has anyone out there done the case feeder option/upgrade to their Dillon 550 (note, 550, not 650) and has some thoughts on it?

Pros? Cons? OBTWs?

There are more than a few YouTube videos out there regarding the Dillon 550 and 650 and a few that feature the case feeder, but none that I can find that address upgrading a 550 with the automatic case feeder option specifically. If someone knows of one and could link it here, that would be appreciated too, or if someone who likes putting videos up on YouTube could produce one and link it here, that would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

I have one a 550 that I have have set up for 38/357. It works pretty good with those calibers but I could never get it to work well with 9mm. It takes some of the easy change caliber properties away from the 550. I have 3 550s and I leave the one with the case feeder alone for 38 special or 357 mag. The case feeders on my 2 650s are flawless with all calibers I have tried. I am a big Dillon fan but the 550 case feeder is the one thing they make that I am not enthralled with. If you are need of a a fed progressive get the 650. If you already have a 550 and want speed things up a little and do not change calibers a lot , the case feeder is ok.
    Dogdoc
    Last edited by dogdoc; 03-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    I upgraded mine and also made a new cam so it will feed rifle cases including 30-06.

I agree that it doesn't work as smooth as the 650 and 1050. For pistol cases it beats feeding by hand. I was lazy when I loaded 460 mag last time and I dropped them down the tube instead of changing the disc in the collator. Not using a casefeeder just isn't an option, so if you already have the 550 then I would vote to get a case feeder but know that it isn't perfect. If you are buying a new press then a 650 would have an advantage for cases, and indexing, although I don't like the feel of it. The 1050 is my favorite by far and it is perfect for 9mm and 223 but due to funds, I use mine for 9mm and 40 cal.

One benefit I failed to mention is that it makes it harder to double charge a case because if you do not rotate the shell plate you will double feed into station one .

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    One benefit I failed to mention is that it makes it harder to double charge a case because if you do not rotate the shell plate you will double feed into station one .
    That's one thing I like about the case feeder. I don't have problems with either the 9mm or the 38 Special I load. The only limitation I can think of is it doesn't feed 380 which isn't a drawback to me. I don't use the 380. It's a great addition to the press. I'm glad I have it.