RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay Solder Bars

Boolit Bub
    They sure look like a Johnson solder bar to me.

Boolit Grand Master

I got the results back from BNE.

Your sample tested as
    99.7% Sn
    0.3% Pb

Nearly pure tin for just over $11 a pound.

Boolit Grand Master

That is really good news for you! Nice Score!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I got the results back from BNE.

Your sample tested as
    99.7% Sn
    0.3% Pb

Nearly pure tin for just over $11 a pound.
    thats great, but they arent what they were marketed as. Makes me wonder if each bar was tested or a sample bought every 6 months how they might vary.

But that is a good price for tin. Super glad it worked out for you

Boolit Grand Master

It does make a guy wonder. Handling each bar, they all seem to make the same ring. They won't be around for long, I'm going to turn them into a 94/6 bismuth/tin alloy for making shot.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up, megasupermagnum. I found that eBay auction and bought some myself. Screaming deal.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm not sure what deals on this site have pewter for $16+ a pound. More like $8 per pound is typical. COWW's or plain lead around $1 per pound plus shipping of around $13 is pretty common too. Range lead is often offered at around $1 a pound +/- a touch after shipping. Linotype around $2 per pound plus shipping, maybe even a touch less. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got a really good deal from Ebay but the prices I saw mentioned in this thread were higher than I have seen most alloys going for here.

Heck if I knew folks were buying pewter for $16 per pound I would have offered some for sale. Heck I bet bangerjim might even have parted with some of his stash of wave solder if he hasn't shot it all into a berm someplace. Last time I looked I would rather have the 5# of pewter than the money it would fetch at what it was going for. At $16 that whole idea changes. I start thinking about what I could buy with the money
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm not sure what deals on this site have pewter for $16+ a pound. More like $8 per pound is typical. COWW's or plain lead around $1 per pound plus shipping of around $13 is pretty common too. Range lead is often offered at around $1 a pound +/- a touch after shipping. Linotype around $2 per pound plus shipping, maybe even a touch less. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got a really good deal from Ebay but the prices I saw mentioned in this thread were higher than I have seen most alloys going for here.

Heck if I knew folks were buying pewter for $16 per pound I would have offered some for sale. Heck I bet bangerjim might even have parted with some of his stash of wave solder if he hasn't shot it all into a berm someplace. Last time I looked I would rather have the 5# of pewter than the money it would fetch at what it was going for. At $16 that whole idea changes. I start thinking about what I could buy with the money
    Well, I ended up buying 28# of 60/40 solder for $80 shipped on this site, so that pretty well took care of that. I've got a lead on a local scrap yard with wheel weights, so we will see how many lead ones I get out of that. I like the tin rich alloys, but this should keep me shooting for at least a few years. I needed some lead free for making shot, but after alloying, that .3% lead will be undetectable by any DNR, if it would even show up now.

Boolit Buddy
    Just looking at these prices makes me want to go to my scrap yard and see if I can score some more lino, 50/50 bars or 60/40 solder. If I'm lucky I can buy as much as I want for $0.85/lb. Maybe not the best price for lead but I do find a lot of other goodies I even found some babbitt in there one time. Got 2 lino pigs one day which put a smile on my face
    Dont give up and keep looking you'll run into something sooner or later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12