Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Solder Bars

Boolit Grand Master

Ebay Solder Bars

I had my eye on these supposed 95/5 solder bars for a while now, but never could figure out exactly what they were. I finally decided to take the risk, as buying tin for $20 a pound or 95/5 solder rolls for $18 a pound is not my favorite. It was $99 with free shipping for 10 bars. I received 10 bars for a total of 8 pounds 13 ounces. Not bad so far. The bars are stamped only "95/5 TA". Nothing else is in the box. I've not tried to melt these yet. Does anyone have any more info on what these are? I'd like to find out soon, just in case I need to send them back.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 03-13-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: ebay links not permitted

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I believe those are 95/5 tin/antimony, also known as "Superflow", used for copper joints.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems obvious now. TA... tin/antimony. I see no reason to think they are anything but real 95/5. It seems like a sweet deal at about $11.25 a pound, I may have to get another pack.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Just in case, I'd use one of em, or part of it, to make up a pot of alloy and test 'er out before investing too much. I'm always skeptical of that auction site.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Just in case, I'd use one of em, or part of it, to make up a pot of alloy and test 'er out before investing too much. I'm always skeptical of that auction site.
    I am too, and the deal seems too good when NOTHING else comes close in price. It is certainly hard, it's clearly not 60/40 or the likes. I'll try and make a micro batch and test hardness.

I did the math, and I should be able to make over 500 pounds of my preferred casting alloy, which would serve me a long time.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    500 Pounds, so a whole week or so? LOL

Yep, Superflow. Tin/Antimony alloy. To check do you have anyplace you can get it xrayed?

http://www.bellmanmelcor.com/wp-cont...7/01/955TA.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    Don't buy solder bars on ebay unless they are clearly marked as to content such as 50/50, 60/40, etc.. I once bought some that was supposed to be 50/50 and it was not. I was lucky enough to pick up 37 bars of 50/50 last fall for $60, not on ebay. Those will last me for a while.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    Don't buy solder bars on ebay unless they are clearly marked as to content such as 50/50, 60/40, etc.. I once bought some that was supposed to be 50/50 and it was not. I was lucky enough to pick up 37 bars of 50/50 last fall for $60, not on ebay. Those will last me for a while.
    Is just a simple 95/5 TA stamp good enough, or should I be looking for something else?

As for 500 pounds lasting a while, I don't have 500 pounds of lead to go with this tin. I've managed to pick up a 5 gallon bucket worth of wheel weights last year, and nobody else was willing to deal. I must have used around 100 pounds of lead last year, and gained maybe 50 of usable metal. Not good. I am going to increase my searching range this year.

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like a good score on the solder. As to your lead stock, just be patient. Learn as much as you can about the products that once were made from lead and never quit looking. Also, ask your friends, family members and co-workers to be on the lookout.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    That sounds like a good score on the solder. As to your lead stock, just be patient. Learn as much as you can about the products that once were made from lead and never quit looking. Also, ask your friends, family members and co-workers to be on the lookout.
    I know, and as far as Minnesota goes, I'm in a good area for scrap. The real killer is Minnesota banned lead wheel weights a couple years ago. I've managed to find a bucket here and there, but I only got about 1/3rd of a bucket of lead.

Boolit Master
    melt down a B.B. size drop and send it to bne for testing. he will tell you exactly what the makeup is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    melt down a B.B. size drop and send it to bne for testing. he will tell you exactly what the makeup is.
    Is that a user or a company? How much does it cost?

Boolit Grand Master

BNE is a member here. He ask for a pound of lead per sample to be tested. He's a great guy and usually has a fast response time.

Boolit Master
    lightman is 100 percent correct, and the most efficient way to learn exactly what is in your lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Legit solder bars are CLEARLY marked - or actually CAST in the bar - of the actual content of Pb/Sn/Sb........

The 4 dozen or so I have are CLEARLY silk screened on the bars as to the content. The other 60 I have are actually cast in the bar as to the % mix. There is no way the evilBay scammers can cheat you on those!!!!!!!

Know B4 you buy on evilbay. I do not trust anyone on ebay these daze. I trust 110% the good folks on here! This is a good honest tight-nit community and anyone scamming is gone in a heartbeat. Get your Pb and alloy here. Not evilBay.

Banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Legit solder bars are CLEARLY marked - or actually CAST in the bar - of the actual content of Pb/Sn/Sb........

The 4 dozen or so I have are CLEARLY silk screened on the bars as to the content. The other 60 I have are actually cast in the bar as to the % mix. There is no way the evilBay scammers can cheat you on those!!!!!!!

Know B4 you buy on evilbay. I do not trust anyone on ebay these daze. I trust 110% the good folks on here! This is a good honest tight-nit community and anyone scamming is gone in a heartbeat. Get your Pb and alloy here. Not evilBay.

Banger
    No offense to this site, but I'd go poor if I purchased all my supplies here. You can trust them, but still, $18 a pound for tin, $16+ for pewter, $1-$1.50 for various lead. I spent my money, took a chance. I purchased from a seller with high ratings on ebay. I had to try something, you have to really hunt for a roll of solder or tin under $20, and that's just way too much IMO.

The bars are clearly marked, but they are stamped. Anyone could have done it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I just support the people on here when I need certain things. There are those on here that have a heck of a time finding Pb and alloy at local scrap yards and this is THE place for good deals. They may not be there at the exact split second you may need it, but in the long run, people on here have fair prices. Just keep a “weather eye” out for what you need! You cannot beat good clean fluxed pewter and lead ingots listed on here.

Boolit Master
    You could bend a bar and listen for the tin "cry".
    Not sure if a thick bar would make the noise, but it's worth a try.

If you melt a stick down into ingots or buttons, they should have a gold color from the tin.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    You could bend a bar and listen for the tin "cry".
    Not sure if a thick bar would make the noise, but it's worth a try.

If you melt a stick down into ingots or buttons, they should have a gold color from the tin.
    I could bend them if I tried, but they are very hard. If they are anything but 95/5, its not lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast