RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataPBcastcoLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 180 gr. 3 gr. Red dot 3" 38 all lcrx

Boolit Buddy

180 gr. 3 gr. Red dot 3" 38 all lcrx

Please dont rail on me for this. This Mihec boolit will have to be seated to just past the crimp groove, on the ogive. The boolit will take up some case space. (The boolit is quite long) Will this be a safe load for my Lcrx 3" Ruger? I know there are some who say there is little to be gained by using these extra heavy boolits in a short barreled revolver. Need your opinion, but like I stated form the git-go, please be gentle. Ive had a rough day.

Boolit Master
    One of my manuals show 2.8gr Red Dot with 200gr as 15,000psi normal load. +P load is 2.9gr and shows 17,000. Most +P’s I seen lately are 18-19,000 PSI. I wouldn’t worry the least shooting your load in the Ruger, YMMV. Todd/3leg

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I won't be using a lot of these. Just wanted to give it a try out of curiosity. But you know what th at say...curiosity killed the cat! So I thought I'd ask you guys first,

Boolit Master
    I have used 358429 which is 170gr. over 3.5 gr. red dot for a standard load for years. in factit is the first load I ever loaded. have used it everything even a colt police positive special. so I don't think your loadis too hot for a ruger.

Boolit Master
    The lcrx is a +P and I have confidence that you are not pushing the gun too far.

The heavy boolit & light revolver will probably result a noticable shift in point of impact over "typical" loads.

My standard LCRX load is a 110 gr low recoil load for my wife to shoot at the range. We get a noticeable shift in impact point even with the small switch to target loads with 125 gr boolits.

The rear sight is at the limit of its adjustment (spring barely pushing the sight up against the screw) for the 110 gr load. I was not impressed with the small amount of adjustment available from the rear sight.

Boolit Master
    Did you shoot the loads yet? If so how were they. Todd/3leg

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty stout load! No obvious pressure signs, but not something I want to shoot a lot of in one session. The ogiv e of the bullet is a bit too big (fat) not allowing the chambered case to fully seat in the cylinder. I had to shorten the cases a little bit. Kind of a pain, cause ow I have to keep that brass separate from the rest.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot works, but something a bit slower like Unique, Green Dot, Herco etc. might be better. I've loaded the 195 grain 358430 for my Taurus 85, and I used even slower powders like 2400 and AL8.