Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: How much oomph do I need for a 35 Rem hunting load?

How much oomph do I need for a 35 Rem hunting load?

I tested a series of loads ranging from 20 to 26 grains of 4198 using the RCBS 200 grain boolit cast from AC COWWs and some tin and lubed with BLL. These weighed in at 213 grains, so they are on the heavy side for caliber. At 26 grains I had very god 50 yard results, as good or better than the factory jacketed loads I have been using. Lyman suggests that 26.5 grains gives 17XX FPS, but they use a 24 inch test barrel and my Marlin is a carbine with (if memory serves) a 16" barrel, so I imagine I am losing some speed vs. their tests. I don't own a chronometer, so no idea of actual speed. Hodgdon lists charges for 220 grain jacketed fodder up to 29 grains. Can I keep upping my charges and see how fast I can go before I start losing accuracy? I'd guess that 26 grains gives me 1600 or so FPS, maybe a touch more since I am at altitude. Is this enough for a 100 yard hunting load for deer and maybe hogs?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

That supplies just a bit over 1200f/lb of energy. Should be enough for your stated purpose provided good shot placement.

I load a 207 to 217 bullet with 24 to 24.5 grains of IMR 4198. Accuracy is great, fps is in the 1680 range...Mine are gas checked and powder coatedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC8491.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	216291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shorty 4-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	216292

Mine are gas checked. I was quite pleased by the accuracy of the 26 grain load. Would be happy to go higher, though. If I am getting 1600 at the muzzle, I do not meet the 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards that my state requires.

Only thing left is to chronograph the load and see exactly what you have. Then, if needed, you can go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Mine are gas checked. I was quite pleased by the accuracy of the 26 grain load. Would be happy to go higher, though. If I am getting 1600 at the muzzle, I do not meet the 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards that my state requires.
    I am confused by this statement. How can they take a round from you and determine it's energy...I am easily confused, so help me out. 26.5 is the max, according to Lyman 49, something is not right..

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I am confused by this statement. How can they take a round from you and determine it's energy...I am easily confused, so help me out. 26.5 is the max, according to Lyman 49, something is not right..
    They assume everyone is using factory ammo with published data. This is more my own scruples that the likelihood anyone would check or care.

Hopefully some one that has a program will chime in, but I am betting you are more than safe. More times than not it is a complete pass thu..

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Hopefully some one that has a program will chime in, but I am betting you are more than safe. More times than not it is a complete pass thu..
    The ballistic calculator I dialed up online says about 850 FPE at 100 yards. Given that this is considerably in excess of what many hunting handguns deliver and the boolit has a big meplat and a lot of mass I would think that a deer would certainly be done with a decent hit and I would guess that this would make a quite suitable hole in a hog to finish it off in short order. That said, the biggest critter I have shot with a cast boolit is a cottontail so I will defer to more experienced opinion as to whether this would be adequate should anyone care to comment.

My inclination is to declare victory, load up a bunch more and see how they do at 100 yards. I would be willing to bet that they will be significantly better than minute of deer and I will need to cast a bunch more and get some more 4198.

I use that same bullet in my .358 Winchester at 1850 fps on whitetail. Complete pass thru. I didn't get any expansion last time, May try a softer nose or hp next time? Deer didn't go far. hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I use that same bullet in my .358 Winchester at 1850 fps on whitetail. Complete pass thru. I didn't get any expansion last time, May try a softer nose or hp next time? Deer didn't go far. hc18flyer
    Can't argue with positive results. We can fool around with ballistic calculators until doomsday, but the only thing that counts is when the metal meets the meat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Ditto. I shot a few deer with that same bullet at between 1825-1850 fps (can't remember exactly). Some were way past 100 yards and it worked fine.

While a 200 grain bullet at 1500 - 1600 MV will kill deer and other animals, the purpose of more velocity is largely to improve hit probability at longer range and compensate for errors in range estimation. If you can get 1900-2000fps out of your load, you won't kill anything any deader but that estimated 125 yard shot which is actually 175 yards will be more likely to connect and kill.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    While a 200 grain bullet at 1500 - 1600 MV will kill deer and other animals, the purpose of more velocity is largely to improve hit probability at longer range and compensate for errors in range estimation. If you can get 1900-2000fps out of your load, you won't kill anything any deader but that estimated 125 yard shot which is actually 175 yards will be more likely to connect and kill.
    My thought exactly. So I am wondering if I can go a bit higher on my powder charge.

My thought exactly. So I am wondering if I can go a bit higher on my powder charge.
    Id keep testing in .5 gr steps up to book max and see what your rifle tells you . If no joy maybe give another powder a try maybe something a little slower in burn rate like 4895 or similar but to answer your original guestion the load you have now will shoot clean through a deer just be sure of your range and abilities .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Thanks, that is pretty much what I had decided on. I figured this load would kill deer, but given the low ballistic coefficient and tendency toward rainbow trajectory, a faster and flatter shooting round would give me more margin of error.

Can't argue with positive results. We can fool around with ballistic calculators until doomsday, but the only thing that counts is when the metal meets the meat.
    For sure. 217 gr .35 cal at 2000 fps will probably shoot through an Elk. A big meplat negates the expansion need IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

+1 on H4895. They list the max load at Hodgdon at 36.3 with a Speer FN for 2010fps with their 60% rule you should be able to start at 21.78g and go up till you hit the fps you are looking for lists 33g (1848fps) as a starting load for jaketed start with 30g and walk your way up.