WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
PBcastco Titan Reloading

Thread: Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Barrel Tennons Difficult to Remove/Replace

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Barrel Tennons Difficult to Remove/Replace

I recently made a trade on a used Pedersoli .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle... beautiful rifle, but I noticed that it takes a great deal of effort to loosen and reinstall the barrel tennons when removing the barrel.... the tennons have keepers and aren't completely removed, but it takes a definite whack from a mallet with a wedge pin tool to loosen them and when reinstalling them it again takes a whack from a plastic, wood or leather mallet to replace them... thumb pressure is not enough... is this normal? Sent a question to Pedersoli, but not sure how that will work since their contact is in Italia..

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Far better than too loose. They are what keeps the barrel in place. I wouldn’t worry about it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Far better than too loose. They are what keeps the barrel in place. I wouldn’t worry about it.
    x 2 from me

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't be too concerned. As mentioned, better than too loose.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Sounds like they fit pretty much like they should.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all....It was just such a stark difference in the other rifles that I have... most are "snug" but nothing like this one... I think I read in Dutch Schoultz accuracy system that they should be easily installed by hand... guessing his thinking would be that it would put a "bind" or stress on the barrel and affect repeatable accuracy...

I'm anxious to see what I can do with the roundball in a .54... Anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain?

I've never had a 1:66 twist before... usually stock 1:48 and then several fast twist 1:28 or 1:30 for conicals... funny how things change.. it used to be harder to find conical molds for muzzleloaders... now roundball molds are ones harder to find... I'm looking for a single cavity .535 but not anxious to pay $75 and not really interested in double cavity Lee... will keep an eye out for a used one here and Ebay...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Perhaps you can put downward pressure on the barrel when re-installing them. I agree with the others, better tight than loose!
    Nit Wit

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    Thanks to all....It was just such a stark difference in the other rifles that I have... most are "snug" but nothing like this one... I think I read in Dutch Schoultz accuracy system that they should be easily installed by hand... guessing his thinking would be that it would put a "bind" or stress on the barrel and affect repeatable accuracy...

I'm anxious to see what I can do with the roundball in a .54... Anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain?

I've never had a 1:66 twist before... usually stock 1:48 and then several fast twist 1:28 or 1:30 for conicals... funny how things change.. it used to be harder to find conical molds for muzzleloaders... now roundball molds are ones harder to find... I'm looking for a single cavity .535 but not anxious to pay $75 and not really interested in double cavity Lee... will keep an eye out for a used one here and Ebay...
    dunno why you dont like LEE roundball molds - they make the best ball molds of all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    dunno why you dont like LEE roundball molds - they make the best ball molds of all
    I didn't say I don't like LEE roundball molds.... I said I'm not interested in a [U]double cavity[U] Lee.

Boolit Grand Master

Remember the more you take the barrel out the looser it gets, tangs wear and the tennons loosen up. I don't want a removable barrel on a target gun. Now as to the tight fit when I build one I want a tight and and EVEN fit to the keys. I want the hook to fit with just a little spring to it so everything is dead tight on the stock. In other words yours is just fine drill out a nipple and use a hose to clean and don't take it apart unless yu have to.

In Remembrance
    Just some semantics.....barrel tenons are the under lugs, barrel keys are what holds the barrel in place through the tenons. At least that is what I was taught.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Thompson Center makes a "Barrel Wedge Puller" removal tool for about $15 that is small enough to go in your "possibles bag" and designed so it won't "mar" your finish. Check Midway or "Track of the Wolf" for availability.

Boolit Master
    I have that tool; replacing the pins takes a couple good whacks..taking advice to be happy with it that way. Will clean a few times with barrel in place and see how it goes

And you already know how to do that! I like that! Go man go.