Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My glue is not drying.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

My glue is not drying.

I powdered, cream-o-wheated and added carpenter glue to my shells and today, 72 hours later the glue under the semi-hardened top is still wet. I have no doubt it will stay wet even if I give it a week or two. Just like in the bottle. Close the cap and the rest in the bottle stays wet. Soooooo, what kind of a mess is this going to make when I fire these puppies trying to form these cases. Burned on glue in the bore???? Next time these babies are going to get 10 grains of Unique and a round#00 buckshot in the end instead of COW+ GLUE!!!
    Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed.

Boolit Master
    I would think that glue would not be that hard to get out. What caliber are you trying to make out of what parent case?
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Can you set them in a warm window?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    8x56 Hungarian fired in a Swede rolling block to form 8x58Rd.

I rigged a light over them with a thermometer. 250 watt bulb for 3 hours temp at mouth end 100 F.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180312_094026.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	216284
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180312_094055.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	216285

These cases were topped off with the glue and have set for three days prior to the lamp treatment today.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hot glue and never look back!
    Regards
    John

Thanks John Boy, but what is your advice for my current problem? Shoot them even tho they are somewhat still wet?

Boolit Master
    Keep your cleaning rod handy, and don't fire one without inspecting the bore...It looks like a long haul for you...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I use Gulf Wax(paraffin) for canning over the COW when case forming. I would use a good oil in the barrel and run oil patch after every 3-5 rounds, then clean thoroughly Ed's Red or any decent solvent should clean out the gunk when done fireforming.

Banned
    make some shot cards or a wad like they use for blank loads i would never use glue or hot glue... and yes wax works as well

Ditto about putting them in a sunny window.

Patience, keep them warm for a week or two and they will dry.

Yes on next batch I would use buckshot or a foam cap with a few drops of wax.

I have shot hot glue bullets with just a primer down the bore, found no evidence of melting.
    But most are going too fast and shatter when they hit the target.

Poke em with a toothpick, north, south, east, west and center. Then put them under a desk lamp like MOA. Then switch to an over powder wad and hot glue.

Boolit Grand Master

I use candle wax or bullet lube in the case mouths. I save any lube that squeezes out of my luber sizer just for this. Beeswax also works well.

Well it all came out ok. I decided I was not going to wait and wait and wait. Grabbed the cleaning rod and headed out to get them shot dry or wet, all shot just fine, nothing was left in barrel. Shot at a old laminate table top leaned up against a pole from twenty feet away, checked bore visually every five or six rounds for first two boxes, no change in appearance so proceeded to shoot all one hundred without issues. Bore cleaned as usual Hoppe's, brush, rag, oil rag. Now its all ready for today's second form firing, no glue this time just powder and a OO buckshot pressed into the case mouth. Boolits are next on the schedule for testing, have two hundred Lee Karabiner's all ready to load up.

When a person uses buckshot like that, what keeps them from leading the barrel? Or, do you tumble them in Alox? Just wondering, as I have heard others mention the same and I did not understand the dynamic here that allows such, without leading.

Thanks for the time answering.

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    When a person uses buckshot like that, what keeps them from leading the barrel? Or, do you tumble them in Alox? Just wondering, as I have heard others mention the same and I did not understand the dynamic here that allows such, without leading.

Thanks for the time answering.
    Alox is the correct answer.

Never used more than a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper tamped down on top of the filler. Fire the cases while the rifle is vertical. Always got lopsided cases when fired with the rifle level.

Banned
    wind may help more than heat.

Boolit Master
    after I load them with COW, i just push the case mouth into a bar of hard IVORY SOAP and VIOLA! you have a sealer that will work every time and stay hard!.

I really like the great ideas guys,
    the soap
    the lube
    the quarter paper tamped in
    and the canning wax
    Now who said group think was not such a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast